Friday 13th

One of ‘my type’ may have been inclined to put him on his arse - supervisor or not… Demeaning others on the basis of anothers mistake/error does not float my boat, so good on you for putting him straight.

Coffeeholic:
Anybody else have a crappy Friday? :imp:

Well… I turned up as normal, found a couple of extra idiots on the road, but that’s fine. Had a lovely day, nice easy runs, got to 1st job 2hrs early, was tipped 1hr before I was due to get there, got to 2nd job early, was loaded before I was due to get there. Even took the nice road over from Halifax to Burnley instead of going all the way 'round the motorway which was a nice drive in the sunshine.

Got back to depot and got a phone call just as I parked up (we’re on tracker) saying that I’d put a comment in the pda the day before that the manager at the contract I’m on didn’t like and they don’t want me on the contract anymore so I’m fired, empty my truck, leave all company stuff in it and have a nice life.

For anyone that wants to know, I was planned an 8am load out of Buxton Lime Quarry (from Trafford Park), back to Trafford park, box swap in Freightliner and a 10.30 tip in far side of Halifax.
I phoned boss and explained that it’d be impossible and that the loading times at Buxton Lime Quarry are very flexible, would he like me to do the Halifax 1st? He said no because Buxton is a VIP customer, could I get there at 7 instead of 8? I said, yeah, no problem but I still won’t make the 10.30, so he said keep him upto date.
Next day, I do the Buxton job at 06.50 - leaving there by 07.25, back to Freightliner (A6 in rush hour :open_mouth: ) so, still on A6 at 9am when the bosses come in, I rings up and someone else answered, I explained the situation - well, tried to, they’re very rude - and got told to put a late in the PDA and hung up on.
So, I clicks late, it then asks for reason for late, gives multiple choice of things like ‘stuck at quay’ ‘driver lost’ ‘driver ill’ ‘due to traffic’ etc and ‘other’
None of the other options were correct, so I clicked ‘other’, it then asks what reason is, so I puts ‘DAF NOT RAF’

So, now I’m back out in the cold jobhunting with thousands of others :unamused:
Apparantly, that comment wasn’t funny.

bigvern1:
Jeez…We should form a club. Number of times I walk, because of twots in the office! :open_mouth:

Erm, can’t even count the number of times, including leaving a bus in Picadilly Gardens after the inspector kept me waiting even though I explained that I was going on my lunch break in Stockport and it was only a 34 lunch break, so after being sent round the block to re-join the queue because I was too early, then gets to the stop late and he kept me waiting because 1 had just gone, I got my money, too my fob and left the bus there.

Grumpygraeme:
One of ‘my type’ may have been inclined to put him on his arse - supervisor or not…

My co-driver and the yard shunter adopted a, err, hands on approach to prevent this happening as I started across the office toward him.

My weekend has started, I have beer, I have wine, I have steak and I have two kinds of football lined up over the next couple of days so nothing else really matters for now.

Sorry to hear that waynedl. Good luck.

Coffeeholic:

Thanks man, really couldn’t believe it, had 2 other problems whilst I’ve been there, but still never expected that. No warnings - written or verbal - nothing, just empty your truck.

Was tempted to have a word at ACAS or CAB, but with it being a contract motor, I think I’d be wasting my time and would be better just looking for another job.

waynedl:

Coffeeholic:

Thanks man, really couldn’t believe it, had 2 other problems whilst I’ve been there, but still never expected that. No warnings - written or verbal - nothing, just empty your truck.

Was tempted to have a word at ACAS or CAB, but with it being a contract motor, I think I’d be wasting my time and would be better just looking for another job.

Well, I am certainly no ‘yard lawyer’ but reading that as gospel, it seems a tad harsh?? I most certainly wouldn’t be taking it as easy as you are especially as you had made a call the night before.

and Coffee, since when has lifting pots out of hot ovens been mens work?? Surely that is why we have women in the house?

TheBear:

waynedl:

Coffeeholic:

Well, I am certainly no ‘yard lawyer’ but reading that as gospel, it seems a tad harsh?? I most certainly wouldn’t be taking it as easy as you are especially as you had made a call the night before.

Was a hell of a shock to be honest.

I admit, I’m no angel, my 2 other problems were:
1: I got banned from a site in Newport because after I’d loaded in there, I pulled out, and my tacho was flashing to take a break, span truck round at the roundabout and parked up on the road, a 2 lane in each direction dual carriageway with no markings and didn’t really go anywhere so very little traffic, 10 mins later, got asked to move as it’s a private road and no parking, explained that my time was up, got told I’d have to move, explained again that I couldn’t, got told shouldn’t have parked there, but had had no induction or anything so I said tough and closed my curtains. Banned.
2: refused to hand in my keys at a site (tried handing my car keys in) where it’s a 5+hr tip, nothing works in my truck without ignition on number 1, can’t lock doors to go for food / ■■■■ etc and I’m a (was a) tramper with lots of gear in truck.
3: this message.

As I said though, words said about the others, my explanations given, ie no induction at 1, and the security of my cab at 2, explanations took on board and nothing else said.
No warnings either verbal or written.

To get back after such a good day yesterday to get that phone call was an absolute killer, was looking forward to driving home in the sunshine on a beautiful day, instead had to spend 2hrs emptying my stuff out of my truck, driving home in the dark in rush hour to give the missus the great news.

waynedl:

TheBear:

waynedl:

Coffeeholic:

1: I got banned from a site in Newport because after I’d loaded in there, I pulled out, and my tacho was flashing to take a break, span truck round at the roundabout and parked up on the road, a 2 lane in each direction dual carriageway with no markings and didn’t really go anywhere so very little traffic, 10 mins later, got asked to move as it’s a private road and no parking, explained that my time was up, got told I’d have to move, explained again that I couldn’t, got told shouldn’t have parked there, but had had no induction or anything so I said tough and closed my curtains. Banned.
2: refused to hand in my keys at a site (tried handing my car keys in) where it’s a 5+hr tip, nothing works in my truck without ignition on number 1, can’t lock doors to go for food / ■■■■ etc and I’m a (was a) tramper with lots of gear in truck.

As I said though, words said about the others, my explanations given, ie no induction at 1, and the security of my cab at 2, explanations took on board and nothing else said.

To get back after such a good day yesterday to get that phone call was an absolute killer, was looking forward to driving home in the sunshine on a beautiful day, instead had to spend 2hrs emptying my stuff out of my truck, driving home in the dark in rush hour to give the missus the great news.

Elite? OOCL?

yea i had a crappy friday still looking for work sighnd upto umpteen agencys the last one offered me a 2 hr training day at the council so i can drive the bin trucks
i explain i can do it but if im offered work else were il be taking that instead of a 2 hr unpaid course i also explain next thursday friday i can only do a night shift as im busy with interviews etc and said whenever im not available for work il ring you as soon as i know ( cant say fairer than that )
the worse bit was when she starts talking to me like a child about not letting them down etc etc etc could feel my blood boiling as i had to bite my tongue due to needing work badly :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Waynedl, you should name and shame this firm now your gone - sound like a right bunch of cowboys.

TheBear:
and Coffee, since when has lifting pots out of hot ovens been mens work?? Surely that is why we have women in the house?

I have been lifting pots out of hot ovens for years, and even more so since I have been living alone and the woman who was in the house upped and died. :cry: :cry:

DonutUK:

waynedl:

TheBear:

waynedl:

Coffeeholic:

Elite? OOCL?

Turners OOCL

hammer:
Waynedl, you should name and shame this firm now your gone - sound like a right bunch of cowboys.

Don’t know if I blame the company or not to be honest.

The company only had 5 trucks in Manchester (1 now crashed thanks to another driver who’s still got his job :unamused: ) and all were on the OOCL contract, so if the contract don’t want me, for which they don’t even have to give a reason but, when pushed by my boss, they gave the reason about the comment for late, then there’s no work for me :angry:

hammer:

turners trafford park.

Hang on, you’re voluntarily leaving a cushty number where you are liked & respected by the majority of people because of one person being a ■■■■?

That does surprise me.

Wayne, yours boss sounds like a prick who likes thinking he’s a bigger man than the fellas doing the donkey work. Like the DAF not RAF comment. Sounds like you’d be better off being somehwere else if they can’t take a bit of jovial banter.

Just to reset the superstitious count, I didn’t even notice it was Friday 13th until Steve Wright (in the afternoon) mentioned it and had a fine incident-free day on the highways of Wilts and Hants mainly. Thursday 12th however was a different matter, a slight scrape with a raised pavement made it the new Friday 13th for me!

Some crap days there but lets face it none as bad as the Captain of the Costa Concordia. Imagine being ultimately responsible for that pickle.

Don’t they use satnavs at sea? I imagine my tomtom would still work anywhere in the world though the directions (even with a European map) would be lacking at sea. Of course the mariners amongst might say that sandbars can move about maybe, I dunno. That ship looks a bit close to the coast though.

I always thought aircraft had 'em (satnavs) but that Air France plane that went down off Brazil a few years back relied on a frozen pitot tube (I believe) for its apparent speed which made it seem it was going faster than it really was, or so I believe, whereas a satnav, of course, never makes a mistake…

Coffeeholic:
Anybody else have a crappy Friday? :imp:

finished work Friday morning at 3am , my 6 year old cat came up to me, purred, then she dropped dead :frowning:

rip