Fresnel lenses....good or bad?

'Tother night I turned up at work to find the passenger window of my cab fitted with a fresnel lens. It seems to work ok in daylight, but when God turns out the lights, it’s just a distraction in your eye corner. Was told by my supervisor that not having one was not an option 'cos a driver at our London branch ran someone over in the blind spot, and thats the ‘pro-active’ reaction on the part of the company. As already stated, they are certainly useful in daylight but I’d say they’re a bit of a liability in the dark, especially as they block what might be an important 12"X9" of near-side window.
Comments, gentlemen/ladies please?

I drove a left ■■■■■■ for years & in the UK they were a godsend.

I tried one for a while but then binned it as I found that it didn’t do anything that properly adjusted mirrors do. I feel people stick a Fresnel lens in the window then think they don’t need to bother adjusting the mirrors.

I think they’re fantastic, not so much for the blind spot but handy when abroad for junctions and roundabouts. Never had a problem at night and have been using thm for years.

brilliant if your driving on the wrong side of the road
or if handlebars have been put on upside down

as for RHD driving on left i am not sure

pronounced FRAY NELL btw :slight_smile:

Mixed reactions amongst our drivers, I used an 8 wheeler on the Wolvercote Viaduct A34 job back in January with one and it was great when pulling into live traffic from the central reservation work, though I understand what you say regarding using them at night. A bit of a pain when it’s twilight and raining but didn’t drive the truck with it long enough to get used to it. Dad had one fitted and took it off, got on his nerves.

Take them or leave them, won’t spend my own hard earned on 1, but won’t remove 1 if fitted.

They can be usefull, never found them distracting, even at night or in the rain.

We have them fitted to our trucks (for insurance purposes) and they have their uses, especially at junctions where the angle of the junction makes it hard to see vehicles coming from the left.

Had one in a LHD Truck and RHD Truck wouldn’t be without it now…Just look at all the ‘minor’ bumps on the M25 involving HGVs, alot (not all) are when a HGV pulls back in from an o’take manovure and sideswipe a car coming up the inside, especially in the areas with 5 or 6 lanes, with a lense on this can ‘Help’ to reduce this…Anything this cheap (Free from vosa) that increases road safety can only be a good thing.

bad you could lose a bike from your left ,the window view should be clear the use the mirror, they will invent the wheel next

waynedl:
Take them or leave them, I won’t spend my own hard earned on 1, but won’t remove 1 if fitted.

They can be usefull, never found them distracting, even at night or in the rain.

when I was up at test station they was giving them away free !

I’ve got one fitted.
A great piece of gear in Europe, not a great deal of help in the UK.
You won’t loose a bike in one, because you can see a much wider angle through them, including straight through. You do have to look at them though, a half glance from the corner of your eye isn’t quite enough.

I got one for free at a checkpoint but i couldn’t get used to it, it takes your eye away from your mirror. I just seemed to want to look at it all the time :open_mouth: :laughing:

only used them once and really didnt think much to them, these mirrors are better (the one at the bottom right of the windscreen) you see soo much more down that side.

{img}http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs613.snc4/59362_437862994538_512939538_4997241_7314644_n.jpg{\img}

gogzy:
only used them once and really didnt think much to them, these mirrors are better (the one at the bottom right of the windscreen) you see soo much more down that side.

[ brackets not { and / not \ :slight_smile:

first time ive messed that up haha. anyway heres that mirror im talking about

gogzy:

Yeah, but what happens when the straw breaks and the mirror falls over?

the maoster:

gogzy:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

the maoster:

gogzy:

LOL well…:smiley: