Fresh Arrival in the UK – how long before one may drive?

Hello all, my first original post on this forum!
A bit about myself, I’m a South African with dual nationality and in my mid 40’s.
I’m currently employed by a multinational and work as an account manager. (Been in a similar line of work for the last two decades)

I’ve always had a strong interest in HGV’s and Coaches and would like to one day drive one or the other in the UK.

My plan upon arrival is to follow the process of changing my license to a British one, complete medical, theory and then move onto Cat C and C+E.
I’ve factored in a period of possibly 2 – 3 months for the process and would likely find accommodation near one of the training centers and complete the exercise before actively seeking employment as soon as possible.
I’ve heard that one cannot drive a HGV as new migrant until you’ve been in the UK for six months. This would naturally throw a bit of a spanner in the works.

I’d be grateful for any thoughts or advice from the members of the forum regarding the above.

Thank you.

2 to 3 months? There is a huge backlog of tests let alone training centers who can accommodate you this fast… I may be proved wrong though…

Beetlejuice:
2 to 3 months? There is a huge backlog of tests let alone training centers who can accommodate you this fast… I may be proved wrong though…

Thank you Beetlejuice, this is helpful to know. My time frame of 2 to 3 months is conceptual at this point only and will need to be adjusted whilst DVSA and the training centers work through the backlog of applicants.
Any idea about the 6 months waiting period before a migrant may obtain a license or drive an HGV?

Beetlejuice:

Yeah, backlog is still going strong i think… been waiting over 3 weeks for my provisional back so far.

Any idea about the 6 months waiting period before a migrant may obtain a license or drive an HGV?

At the start of the test you are required to sign a declaration that you have lived in the UK for the previous 180 days.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck! There is a long queue of us waiting for our licences.

Pete S:

At the start of the test you are required to sign a declaration that you have lived in the UK for the previous 180 days.

just out of intrest why is that?

Pete S:

Thanks for clearing that up Pete! Certainly helps with my planning!

Would it make sense to complete medical, application for a provisional license and theory training whilst waiting or just kick off once the period is complete?

TruckerGuy:
Good luck! There is a long queue of us waiting for our licences.

Thanks TruckerGuy my perception of the process has changed a lot in the last few days!
Realistically, I’d need to set aside 8-9 months (if all goes well) before obtaining Cat CE.
On a personal note that’d mean finding alternative employment in the interim:)

The forum has been really helpful, thank you.

Coastalguy:
Would it make sense to complete medical, application for a provisional license and theory training whilst waiting or just kick off once the period is complete?

I would say yes as it means you can do the training leading up to that 6 month resident test slot

It is only the practical test you are prevented from doing before that 6 month period from what I gather

Did you pass car test in UK before 1997 :question: - if yes then you should have LGV C1 on your licence which means you can do the 35 hours cpc training now and get a valid DQC

Digicard can be obtained with just a B licence

ROG:

Coastalguy:

Did you pass car test in UK before 1997 :question: - if yes then you should have LGV C1 on your licence which means you can do the 35 hours cpc training now and get a valid DQC

Digicard can be obtained with just a B licence

Thanks Rog. I have a valid South African drivers license which will be submitted to DVLA along with my passport for conversion to a UK license.
I think the wait for an official UK license is months long at the moment due to the backlog, although we’re permitted to drive a car on our foreign license for up to 12 months before it’s no longer accepted.

This may have implications for getting started early depending on the backlog.

coastalguy:

Pete S [emoji38] [emoji38]

When I booked my theory test, I also had to confirm the same (lived in UK past 180 days). Although you do not need any supporting evidence, just an online tick in a box. [emoji848][emoji57]

Could you not get your truck licence in South Africa
First and then exchange it here??

South African licences no matter what category you have you will get a car licence only.

drover:
Could you not get your truck licence in South Africa
First and then exchange it here??

Apologies drover, I haven’t checked in on this post in a while.
One cannot convert the equivalent SA license in the UK. No doubt any ■■■■■■■■■■ experience gained in SA will likely work in one’s favour in looking for work, however the 6 month waiting period from arrival on UK soil and requirement to obtain Cat C+E remains.

Thank you for all of the responses to my original post.

I wondered recently whether the same waiting period applied to Bus/Coach license application - PCV Cat D.
Can anyone confirm?

Coastalguy:
Thank you for all of the responses to my original post.

I wondered recently whether the same waiting period applied to Bus/Coach license application - PCV Cat D.
Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm that the “Residency Declaration” that you sign at the start of the Driving Test is 185 Days and it applies to both Category C and D and their derivitives.

ALEX MCARA:

Coastalguy:
Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm that the “Residency Declaration” that you sign at the start of the Driving Test is 185 Days and it applies to both Category C and D and their derivitives.

Thanks Alex, this is good to know and will help me plan accordingly.