French Prisons

The first thread French Prisons has been reviewed.

I posted that if it descended into a slanging match it would be edited or removed.

IT DID AND IT WAS :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

However the first post by Michelle was a valid topic and deserves to be reinstated but if it goes down the same route again it will be deleted again

STEVE[ATKIG11]
SITE MANAGER

Original post by Michelle

michelle

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:07 pm Post subject: french prison

Hello my name is michelle my partner is also in a french prison and has been for 12 months tomorrow. Its the same old story has John Vasey he was bring a load back into the uk and when stoped drugs were found on his load u might have read about it in the passed. His name is Stewart Guy.
I have been reading the forms on the site for along time now, but have never really had anything to say. This last 12 months have been a complete and utter nightmere for myself stewart and are 3yr old twins. I have been moved out of my home and had to keep a low profile. So where familys have been able to go the press i have had to be quite. because of this i have not got the french goverments back up and Stewart with out a private lawyer was sententenced in september, to 18 month inprisonment and a customs fine of E97,860. He also has been living a nightmere along with the other 250 appox drivers that are also in france that seem to be forgoten about. He has had to share a cell that was made for 2 men with too others, had no comforts and has a result has lost 6 stone in weight. conpaired to John Vasey stewart has not had his familys suport his mother passed away in april from lung cancer and he was not able to come to the funeral. The kids still think that daddy is at work and has been all this time.
A forthnight ago stewart had a parole hearing and was granted parole but wasnt allowed to be realeased untill his customs fine had either been payed or we had come to some settlement with them. The customs are requesting a one payment of E5000 and monthly payments apon realease. Sadly i am not able to pay this so my man is still there.In the last 12 months stewart has had £200 sent to him by my self and family friends and i have only been able to visit 4 times. He has not had the bonous of having £200 a month sent in to him and he has survived There is no need for the men to buy new clothes in there u can take in there clothes they had at home on a visit, yes may be they have lost weight stew more than most but he was a big bloke but you learn you have to survive and make the most out of a bad deal. Yes they are treated bad but all the drivers that are held in france are treated the same there is not one of them that are treated any worse. and it is rubbish that the prisons are diffrent in the north of france to the south. So sadly my mans story continues and outwith any help from anyone apart from the Driver and family helpline. [EDITED- I have edited the last sentence because I feel that this thread should be read by the members but I am not prepared to let it descend into the slanging match it did before]
thanks for taking the time to read
michelle

Edited-ATKIG11[/b]

So my comments made this morning stating that I despair of the way no-one seems able to stick together and fight for a cause were deemed worthy of deleting thenâ– â– ?

Not really a lot of point in contributing to anything on here if that is the case.

Pat

PS…still waiting for an explanation and apology for being accused of being ‘in your private area’■■?

Pat:
So my comments made this morning stating that I despair of the way no-one seems able to stick together and fight for a cause were deemed worthy of deleting thenâ– â– ?

Pat a lot of comments were passed that I personally feel were not worthy of being deleted, after all I was the one that most of the unfounded insults were aimed at. I was disapointed when Mrs Mix removed the thread, however, in hindsight, maybe it was the best solution as it was really getting out of hand.

Pat:
Not really a lot of point in contributing to anything on here if that is the case.

To be honest I think you’ve taken the harsh side of it, I personally can assure you that it was not your post that caused it’s removal, and I certainly hope it was not any of mine, but for obvious reasons I monitored it this morning and personally can assure you, that things unfortunately got worse than you witnessed early this morning.

I was left wondering how people can expect support from people when they blatantly overlook things that people did for them. I noticed the above post was re started and decided the best course of action was to just let them get on with it, as there is not right to discussions in their opinion.

As with the site you visit the most often, you have moderators who in my opinion are too harsh, but your site has it’s rules to abide by, and if the thread is removed then all posts both good and bad go with it :cry: .

Pat:
PS…still waiting for an explanation and apology for being accused of being ‘in your private area’■■?

I think it is out of order making a post like this when Private Message facilities are available on this site as well. It’s not Professional :wink: :wink:

Pat:

Pat

Pat, its not that your comments were deemed worthy of deleting but the whole thread had got out of hand and therefore had to be removed.

I could have picked my way through it all and reposted the sensible ones but then the whole thing would have been a complete mess and totally unreadable.

You have PM

cheers
STEVE.

Pat:

Some times Pat things are not about you… Despite your belief that they obviously allways are…

The posts was rightly moved as it had degenerated and was doing no one on any side any favours, especialy the guys jailed overseas.

No-one forces anyone to come here… it is entirely your choice…

Hello Michelle… I read your post and felt very uneasy. I don’t know what help you have (it sounds like very little) but there are a couple of organisations that may be able to offer you some support, and if not, may be able to put you in touch with other organisations that may be able to help you?

The first organisation is The Prison Reform Trust. They mainly deal with prisoners within the UK, but they have quite a bit of clout in so far as they are regularly intervening on behalf of prisoners within the UK and they are also policy swayers.

Have a look at their site if you can

prisonreformtrust.org.uk/

By Mail: Prison Reform Trust, 15 Northburgh Street, London EC1V 0JR

By Email: prt@prisonreformtrust.org.uk. If you do not have email you can use this webform instead.

By Telephone: 020 7251 5070.

By Fax: 020 7251 5076.

This organisation deals more with the families of prisoners. They may offer you more personal support I think.

Action for prisoner’s families
Riverbank House
1 Putney Bridge Approach
London
SW6 3JD Regional Office
c/o Families House
125 Ber Street
Norwich
Norfolk
NR1 3EY

Tel: 0207 384 1987
Fax: 0207 384 1855
Email: info@actionpf.org.uk Tel: 01603 610 888
Fax: 01603 622 735
Email: mark@actionpf.org.uk

The Human Rights Act 1998 has made a great deal of difference for prisoners all over Euorope. Mainly because it has tried to standardise treatment and conditions. If your partner is being treated differently to other inmates solely on the grounds that he is English in a foreign prison, then he has grounds under this act to make a fuss.
I am sure that either of the above organsations will be able to direct you to a source of help.

At the risk of typing too much… you can PM me if I can help any further.
Best wishes from Mrs runaroundtel