French HGV Training

Hi everyone. I have just joined this forum as truck driving is my new vocation. I have been reading posts for the past couple of weeks and thought there might be some interest among members of how driver training is carried out here in France where I live.

Before I moved to France I had never even started an HGV, so everything I now know about them I have learnt here, so there may be times that I might write something that I do not know the English term for, so apologies in advance for that.

First you need to have last passed an exam on the Code de la Route (Highway Code) within 5 years. The training for this can be done online, but the final exam is done by computer in a large room with about 40 candidates, and you need to score 35/40.

Once you have your Code pass, then you can progress to the plateau. This is the first part of the driving test for any category. For Cat C, it consists of the following:

Written exam: 10 questions from a bank of 200. Questions cover driving hours, weight restrictions, various aspects of the law etc.

Oral exam: 1 card from a bank of 20 cards, each card covering 3 subjects, so for example Safety — driving in bad weather, Signage — relevant to an HGV, Mechanical — braking circuit.

Verification of the vehicle: which consists of walking round the vehicle with the examiner, describing its dimensions, checking the tyres, describing the load and how it is secured etc.

If that has all gone well, the plateau finishes with a forward /reverse slalom course, which you have 5 minutes to do the reverse. There are 6 possible courses, chosen on the throw of a dice. You must not exit the white lines and not touch a post then stop accurately on a white band, otherwise you will be instantly eliminated and have to completely retake the plateau (this is due to change next year and you will only have to redo the part you failed).

Each fault during the plateau has a range of penalty points. At the end, if you have a max of 15 points, then you have the right to 3 attempts at the actual driving test. 16/17 points and you can only have one shot at the driving test. 18 or more and it is back to square one.

Once you have your plateau, you can the go out on the road, and hopefully go on to pass your Cat C.

Cat E(C) is obviously more involved, although the process is the same.

The written and oral are more or less the same, though the questions are slanted more to artics.

Due to the sheer volume and amount of checks to do, the verification is split into 6 themes, so effectively you do a partial verification on the throw of a dice.

As part of your verification you also do detallage (decoupling?) and atellage (coupling?) You will be penalised if you have to advance more than once to line up for the atellage.

During the reversing manoeuvre, you are allowed to go forward as often as you like, as long as you finish in the 5 minutes. 1 second over and you are eliminated. If you descend from the cab to check something that is allowed, but leave your door open and it is 2 points.

The same scoring system applies as for the C with the same result.

Once you have your licence you then need to have a FIMO (Formation Initial Minimum Obligatiore). This I think is known in the UK as the DCPC.

The training for the FIMO is 140 hours (4wks, 35 hrs per week) continuous.

It consists of training on the rules for driving hours, rest periods, working time, use of the tacho (digital and analogue). Other themes are health, road safety, environment, loading, work related accidents, economical driving. There is a multi-choice exam at the end of this which has a minimum mark of 24 out of 40.

Two days are dedicated to mechanics, ie how the various mechanical parts of the vehicle actually work together. Again a multi-choice exam, 12 /20.

Finally there is 40 hours of driving (4 drivers each driving 10 hours) plus an additional hour final assessment.

You are constantly assessed by many instructors, and there is the very real possibility of failure.

Once the FIMO is obtained, it is valid for 5 years, and then you have to do 35 hours of training for the FCO, again done in one week.

I am posting this as I have just gone through all this. I passed my Cat C in December 2010, my FIMO last Friday (30/11/12) and my Cat E(C) today (5/12/12). Now for a job!

WELCOME

What was the cost to you for all that lot?

Very interesting reading

wicked …

ROG:
WELCOME

Thanks for the welcome.

The Cat C was paid for by the SDIS, so that I can drive all the HGV pompier vehicles ( I am a Sapeur-Pompier Volontaire).

Then last year I decided to finish the business I ran, and find something else to do. Looking at driving jobs it was apparent that I needed the FIMO, so I signed on with the Pole Emploi (job centre) and although not entitled to any kind of unemployment benefit, they put me forward for training funded by the region. It was the training provider that proposed the Cat E(C) in addition to the FIMO.

So the only personal cost to me was in fuel to get to and from the training. :smiley:

Héraultais:

ROG:
WELCOME

Thanks for the welcome.

The Cat C was paid for by the SDIS, so that I can drive all the HGV pompier vehicles ( I am a Sapeur-Pompier Volontaire).

Then last year I decided to finish the business I ran, and find something else to do. Looking at driving jobs it was apparent that I needed the FIMO, so I signed on with the Pole Emploi (job centre) and although not entitled to any kind of unemployment benefit, they put me forward for training funded by the region. It was the training provider that proposed the Cat E(C) in addition to the FIMO.

So the only personal cost to me was in fuel to get to and from the training. :smiley:

Result !
Nice one mon. :wink:

I am bumping my own thread as I really thought lots of you out there might be interested by the info I provided and I can also answer any questions you might have.

Héraultais:
I am bumping my own thread as I really thought lots of you out there might be interested by the info I provided and I can also answer any questions you might have.

Its in a forum which many might not visit on a regular basis unlike the newbies or the PDF

Guess many don’t use the view new posts function then!

Héraultais:

That is the only reason I found this thread

I’ve just sat my FCO, the French version of the UK driver CPC. Well almost, For you UK based drivers, The French one has to be done in 5 consecutive days and involves 2 X 1 hour driving assessments and a written multi choice test. I could have travelled to the Uk to do mine, (English is my first language) as now any EU cpc is accepted in any EU country but as a French based driver I’m glad I did mine in France as I did learn about the different regs that apply in my (now) home country. Footnote here for Euro drivers, Although we all work under the EU rules, a lot of countries have their own regs that supersede the EU ones.

Sounds like the French version of the DCPC is going to be a lot more beneficial to drivers than the British version :open_mouth:

ROG:

Héraultais:

That is the only reason I found this thread

That’s the main function I use hence I usually get 5 + pages to troll through :unamused:
Nice read Heraultais

does that mean when i have completed my dcpc i can drive for a french firm in france.

cheers ta

I don’t think they actually have a HGV test in France, the driver just breathes that horrible garlic stench on the examiner and he give the guy a licence to avoid sharing a cab with him for an hour :laughing:

The French offered a red carpet for the UK to leave the EU, ungrateful swine :frowning:
We beat the crap out of them in several wars, save them from their ‘Best friends’ twice and they have the nerve to insult us :question:
Who needs the smelly cowardly bunch of tossers anyway :question:

not a great lover of the French then Pat…

No mate, they use the British and bleed them dry, Britain pays 50 million quid a day to be in the EU and bale the French out of the crap they are in, almost 2 billion a year which could help the British out of hell, what does the UK get for it ? they get told what they can and can’t do, how many hours a week to work, they have to let European truck companies run around and go where they want, the country is over run with Polish, Romanian and god knows what other groups in to take your jobs away for lower pay. And the French dictate what you should do.
Who won the war anyway :question:

went touring france for 6 weeks in 2012 wonders what the french actualy do great villages /smalltowns but not a frenchperson to be seen …cannot see why they shut down every thing in the afternoons all of france is not to hot so assume they are all indoors sha-ging…

beany:
does that mean when i have completed my dcpc i can drive for a french firm in france.

cheers ta

Yes, if you can speak French :wink:

lived in france for a while.whole system is crap.your life is controlled from start to finish.cant work sunday except certain deliveries.cant work overtime.regulated salaries.high priced routiers 12 e min .plenty of junk trucks wouldnt pass mot here,not done by government but hgv garages.high cost of parts.very high priced used trucks.not a good place to be.