Freeway recruitment

Afternoon,

This is really just a new driver story because I no some of you like to hear them. I just passed my class 2 and CPC 1st attempt last last week and I’m in the process of arranging some agency experience around my current full time job. I trained with Melmerby Training services who I have to say are a very professional outfit and I’d highly recommend them if your looking around the Ripon area.

I’m having to take leave in order to do the agency work so I’m hoping to get plenty of work during that period. I’ve been in contact with a number of agencies in the leeds area and I am looking mainly towards Freeway Recruitment in Leeds. When speaking to them over the phone the guy asked me if I had any experience 3 times in three different ways desperately trying to claw anything out of my history that would help. Unfortunately Ive been in the forces (non driving role) for the last six years. After a pause and a think he said because it would be my first time in the job he would want to arrange for me to start off with another driver to show me the ropes. He stated that this would be for my own benefit as well as the customers and it would be either a company trainer or another agency driver.

This is the first time any agency I’ve spoke too seemed to take this level of interest in my welfare on my first day on the job and I have to say it made freeway look great to me. He was probably more concerned with me making an arse of the agency if I show up not knowing what I’m doing but if they take that much pride in their reputation they are good enough for me.

I’ll continue to give updates once I’ve done my first week.

I suspect if you come with another driver you won’t be paid. But this is an opportunity to get some real experience.

Priest:
I suspect if you come with another driver you won’t be paid. But this is an opportunity to get some real experience.

That would be completely illegal but even if they did do that I’m only interested in experience.

Jwalsh8:

Priest:

That would be completely illegal but even if they did do that I’m only interested in experience.

Why would it?

I suppose they could do it if it was agreed in writing before the work was carried out but if they don’t mention no pay then they have to due to NMW. He didn’t suggest I’d have to work for free over the phone.

Interesting story, I can’t see an agency paying you to go out with another driver or trainer unless they have some two man work on their books.

Have they given you a start time/date yet ?

Same as Tacho put its haulage now and they won’t pay if they don’t have to, I know of companies that pay for training but if you leave within a certain time they want training costs plus your day pay back.