Freelancer invoice termplate

Hi guys,

Just starting out in freelancing, would anyone mind letting me have a look at their invoice please? Just need to know how to structure it properly. My email is jsspmk@gmail.com

Thanks! :smiley:

Done.

Thanks v much Conor!

Templates are widely available from Microsoft templates billing/invoice
Theyre usually in excel form with or without the VAT tax calculation included. Download a few & have a play with them to familiarise yourself, tweak em to your needs, including your business name/address & any other info relevant. Here's a basic version of what I use (minus the personnel details) hosted on [DROPBOX](https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjivi8r2o0pxckj/Joe%20bogs%20Transport%20Invoice%20-%20driverhire.xlsx?dl=0) download it and have play with it, the info on how to use it is below within the file I tend to save a Master copy of the template on 1 sheet using 1 tab/sheet of the file, then clicking on the top LH corner between **1 and A** to highlight, copy/paste the master onto each consecutive week on a new tab/sheet, double clicking onto the tab to change the info/ ID, labelling each tab "week 1 - W/E 1/01/14" the next "week 2 W/E 8/01/14" etc That way I can keep a flowing list of weekly invoices, without risking over writing the previous one. Changing the date etc for each invoice on each sheet is easy by typing 01/01/14 etc in the date box, this will automatically show 1st January 2014 (because that's the way I set it up). Input the details of the work/hours/charges in the large left column, and in the narrow right column are the money values. IF I press the "**+**" key followed (no gaps) by 12.75*(star/multiply)15 as in 12hrs 45 mins paid at £15 per hour it will automatically display the value for that day/line. Adding it into the Net value boxes, calculate the VAT (20%) and show the gross value. Tolls, night out money etc go in the "OTHER" box if theyre exempt from VAT, & once the info for the file is inputted for this weeks invoice, I save it in both .XLS and .XLSX (excel and excel 97-2003 formats) as some people havent upgraded their office software :unamused: I also copy both files to a back up drive for safe keeping. Then Ill press PRINT or CTRL+P this brings up the pre-print screen, click on the print setup dialogue and click on the "fit to 1 page width to 1 pages tall, and/or the portrait/landscape button depending which way around you want to print / send it (invoices tend to be portrait, & timesheets tend to be landscape), you can then either print a paper copy or click on the HOME tab to return to the original sheet. Now if you save the file again or press CTRL+S it`ll remember your preference for that sheet only. Remember to check the £/pence values/totals separately as some excel files round up/down and could cause havoc with the gross total while auto calculating the VAT factor loosing pennies. :smiling_imp:
IF you want to email that weeks invoice using the info from the Excel spread sheet, and that 1 only. do the print setup as above, then “save as” on the drop down box select Pdf and label the Pdf what ever you like
ie: Joe bogs tspt - week 1 - driverhire invoice W/E 01/01/14 and save it to the invoice file you should have setup on your computer. To keep all these in order create separate files for each month ie:

1. January
  2. Febuary.
  3. March etc etc
    You may want to create files for each year, and put the month files in there. This way you can find them later on.
    Then you can email the invoice/timesheet(s) as attachments, so instead of running around dropping off invoices through letterboxes, save your time for chilling and beer.

The above sound way too complicated, but once setup it take 5-10 mins max to do

adminsoftware.biz/

peirre:
within the file I tend to save a Master copy of the template on 1 sheet using 1 tab/sheet of the file, then clicking on the top LH corner between 1 and A to highlight, copy/paste the master onto each consecutive week on a new tab/sheet, double clicking onto the tab to change the info/ ID, labelling each tab “week 1 - W/E 1/01/14” the next “week 2 W/E 8/01/14” etc That way I can keep a flowing list of weekly invoices, without risking over writing the previous one.

Try this: right click on the tab, a dialogue box appears; click on move or copy, another box appears; click the check-box to make a copy, click on (move to end) to move the tab to the end.

:open_mouth: @ pierre.

Excel template > key in client details for days worked, add hours worked > excel formula totals it all up > highlight the relevant cells > copy > open PDF invoice template > paste > save with new file name incremented by one > attach PDF to email > send to accounts dept = done. Takes a couple of mins.

Simple … Innit
I was actually trying to explain it in layman’s terms, as not everyone will be familiar with spread sheets.
Though it did sound slightly over complicated

cargocargocargo:

peirre:
within the file I tend to save a Master copy of the template on 1 sheet using 1 tab/sheet of the file, then clicking on the top LH corner between 1 and A to highlight, copy/paste the master onto each consecutive week on a new tab/sheet, double clicking onto the tab to change the info/ ID, labelling each tab “week 1 - W/E 1/01/14” the next “week 2 W/E 8/01/14” etc That way I can keep a flowing list of weekly invoices, without risking over writing the previous one.

Try this: right click on the tab, a dialogue box appears; click on move or copy, another box appears; click the check-box to make a copy, click on (move to end) to move the tab to the end.

That’s the method I use.

Thanks guys!

I was more wondering about which info to have within the invoice itself ie do you provide client with a detailed breakdown of daily hours (basic/overtime), nights out, etc or just send them a subtotal.

I use Quickbooks for bookeeping and it provides invoicing, so don’t really require templates as such, just wanted to have a look at which info you provide to client.

But I thank you for the effort, much appreciated!

I just used to do it as I did in the example I sent you, if I was invoicing monthly I’d do an entry for each week. If they question it you can always send them a copy of the timesheet you get them to sign daily.

There’s also a lot of apps about for your phone or tablet

romik:
Thanks guys!

I was more wondering about which info to have within the invoice itself ie do you provide client with a detailed breakdown of daily hours (basic/overtime), nights out, etc or just send them a subtotal.

you must include:
the word “invoice” (too obvious)
Your companies Name, trading address, company registration number, & VAT registration number (without this they`re not obliged to pay the VAT fraction).

I include my contact phone number (so they can contact me for enquiries) email address, bank name address, sort code & account number (so they know where to pay the money :unamused: )

I tend to add the name / address / phone / fax / email of the company whom I`m billing to the invoice.
I add an invoice number & date so that I /they can cross reference

I show a breakdown of hours ie:
Monday 01/01/14 05:00-18:00 13hrs paid (11 hrs x £100 p/hr)
in the column next to that line Ill type +11*100 this will automatically give me the final figure in £s
The @sum feature will total up my figures to the net value box, and add it to the gross

That’s great, thanks v much!

I asked my accountant whether there is any benefit from regestering for VAT with turnover being below threshold and he said “no”. But I keep hearing from some drivers that they are registered, so the question is why would you register if your annual turnover is below £81,000?

romik:
I asked my accountant whether there is any benefit from regestering for VAT with turnover being below threshold and he said “no”. But I keep hearing from some drivers that they are registered, so the question is why would you register if your annual turnover is below £81,000?

It’s a bit extra £’s in your pocket for you out of the 20% charged for VAT.
Somewhere in the region of £40-£50 per £500 net, depending upon what VAT percentage your register for

peirre:

romik:

It’s a bit extra £’s in your pocket for you out of the 20% charged for VAT.
Somewhere in the region of £40-£50 per £500 net, depending upon what VAT percentage your register for

I don’t get that bit.

Look up “flat rate VAT scheme” you charge 20%, then give 15% back to the government. Easy money
PM sent
Paul

Cheers! MAkes perfect sense now.