Freelance Drivers and the Wtd

Just wondering how you keep records of your driving,working time. :smiley:

Hi… page per day diary also take and keep didgi print out then at end of month put printout in envolope with month and year on
basically any type of written record that you can refer back too helps when (the rare) infringement letter arrives

Tachographs?

I’m not sure what you are trying to achieve? The operator has to keep WTD records - what exactly are you trying to keep? Which records?

Record it on a spread sheet on my phone which is in a dropbox folder. Any trouble with police dsa or whoever just show the sheet. Job done. Print out a copy with invoice to any companies end of each month

Hi.for example if you worked for more than one client ,as a freelance driver i.e.you were a ltd company driver would it be worth investing in tachomaster to keep track on your hours ?

I work for several. Sheet does it all

Ok Thanks for your advice :smiley:

Sign up with tachomaster.co.uk/ get yourself a Omnikey 3121 Chip card reader Cardman USB Smart Card Reader (ebay £9.90) get invoiced £4.80 per month put through accounts

I access the clients tachomaster from my phone. Cheeky but easy

Why not just opt out and advise anyone you work for?

gov.uk/maximum-weekly-worki … opting-out

m4rky:
Why not just opt out and advise anyone you work for?

gov.uk/maximum-weekly-worki … opting-out

Workers who can’t opt out
You can’t opt-out of the 48 hour week if you’re:

airline staff
a worker on ships or boats
a worker in the road transport industry, eg delivery drivers (except for drivers of vehicles under 3.5 tonnes using GB Domestic drivers’ hours rules)
other staff who travel in and operate vehicles covered by EU rules on drivers’ hours, eg bus conductors
a security guard on a vehicle carrying high-value goods

Don’t think you can? or am i getting this all wrong? :laughing:

shep532:
Tachographs?
The operator has to keep WTD records

No, the employer does. If you’re self employed that means you.

No one in transport can opt out, well maybe a few, I can not understand people, the government go to the trouble of coming up with a silliy thing like the WTD and people want to opt out

Workers who can’t opt out
You can’t opt-out of the 48 hour week if you’re:

airline staff
a worker on ships or boats
a worker in the road transport industry, eg delivery drivers (except for drivers of vehicles under 3.5 tonnes using GB Domestic drivers’ hours rules)
other staff who travel in and operate vehicles covered by EU rules on drivers’ hours, eg bus conductors
a security guard on a vehicle carrying high-value goods

Don’t think you can? or am i getting this all wrong? :laughing:
[/quote]
Incorrect, by international convention we are controlled by ‘hours of rest’ not hours of duty,ie. minimum of 10 hours of rest in any 24 hour period, 77 hours of rest in any 7 day period. In effect we can work 13 hours every day for as long as we like. we have to keep a written record but if the port state control (gestapo) feels the need to investigate further for whatever reason they can look into other official legal logs, records etc.

Conor:

shep532:
Tachographs?
The operator has to keep WTD records

No, the employer does. If you’re self employed that means you.

Can’t say I see it that way for the Road Transport Working Time Regulations. An employer of mobile workers must keep records but I don’t read it that a worker must keep the records.

I’m reading it the OP is not operating his own vehicle or employing mobile workers - he’s just offering his services as a driver or ‘mobile worker’. A ‘mobile worker’ is someone who is in the service of an undertaking which operates transport services. It is the undertaking who keeps the records.

Of course being self employed does muddy the waters somewhat and I may be wrong but there’s no harm in the OP keeping his own records anyway - I just don’t think he needs to.