Freelance driver

HI I DONT NO WERE TO POST THIS FOR ADVISE SO I JUST HOPE SOME ONE CAN GIVE ME ADVISE
I HIRE MY SELF OUT AS A FREELANCE DRIVER BUT WHAT DO I CHARGE TO FIRM WHO WANT TO HIRE ME TO DRIVE THERE TRUCK KEEPING IN MIND THAY WANT ME TO DO 10, 12, 15 HOUR SHIFTS SO WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD FEE WERE THAY CAN USE ME INSTEAD OF AGENCY RATE BUT WERE THAY ARE NOT TAKING THE ■■■■ I WOULD BE GRATFULL FOR YOUR ADVISE ON WHAT TO CHARGE.

Hi I dont no were to post this for advise so I just hope some one can give me advise
I hire my self out as a freelance driver but what do I charge to firm who want to hire me to drive there truck keeping in mind thay want me to do 10, 12, 15 hour shifts so what would be a good fee were thay can use me instead of agency rate but were thay are not taking the ■■■■ I would be gratfull for your advise on what to charge.

I fixed your Caps Lock for you. dd. :wink:

£10-12 an hour seems to be the going rate up in Yorkshire for a relief driver. It’s up to you whether to charge more for nights/weekends but you’ve got to be careful not to price yourself out of the market!

firstly, lose the caps lock, it comes across as you are shouting on forums :wink:

now, to answer your question, it depends on the type of work that you would be doing

if you are on shorter days, then the hourly rate would be better, as the agencies charge by the hour

but, if you are going to be doing tramping work, then you would be better charging a day rate, inclusive of nights out

i have a pal that covers me and my other driver for holidays, sickness etc, he charges/i pay a fixed £8.00 per hour mon to frid, £10.00 for a sat and £12.00 for a sunday. also £20.00 per night out. he gives me an invoice and pays all his own tax and ni contributions. sometimes he,s here for 1/2/3 days sometimes a week. i think he has about 6 other customers like me so he seems to do okay at it

jonw:
HI I DONT NO WERE TO POST THIS FOR ADVISE SO I JUST HOPE SOME ONE CAN GIVE ME ADVISE
I HIRE MY SELF OUT AS A FREELANCE DRIVER BUT WHAT DO I CHARGE TO FIRM WHO WANT TO HIRE ME TO DRIVE THERE TRUCK KEEPING IN MIND THAY WANT ME TO DO 10, 12, 15 HOUR SHIFTS SO WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD FEE WERE THAY CAN USE ME INSTEAD OF AGENCY RATE BUT WERE THAY ARE NOT TAKING THE ■■■■ I WOULD BE GRATFULL FOR YOUR ADVISE ON WHAT TO CHARGE.

I charge 10 ph for first 8h Mon-Fri. 15 ph for overtime and Sat, 20 Sun/bank holiday. Plus VAT. That’s for direct customers. I know it’s slightly less than they’d have to pay an agency. If it’s an agency I work for, rates start at 9.50 upto 17 for Sunday. Plus VAT.

oh… and should this not be asked on THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE)?

I’m not sure, but get someone else to write out your terms and conditions for you when presenting it to a company.

weewulliewinkie:
i have a pal that covers me and my other driver for holidays, sickness etc, he charges/i pay a fixed £8.00 per hour mon to frid, £10.00 for a sat and £12.00 for a sunday. also £20.00 per night out. he gives me an invoice and pays all his own tax and ni contributions. sometimes he,s here for 1/2/3 days sometimes a week. i think he has about 6 other customers like me so he seems to do okay at it

£8.00 per hour self employed equates to less than the minimum wage.
To pay himself £8.00 per hour, He’d have to charge out at £10.50 to £12.00 per hour.
People like your mate are being laughed at by those he does the work for.

For those rates no wonder the Jobs had it.REMBER this is for a so called PROFESSIONAL Driver!

limeyphil:

weewulliewinkie:

To pay himself £8.00 per hour, He’d have to charge out at £10.50 to £12.00 per hour.

Agreed Phil. I was going to make a similar reply yesterday but it wouldn’t have been as polite as yours was.

limeyphil:

Too right, I do the self employed thing for a few people and the lowest I get paid for normal Mon-Fri hours is £11 (plus VAT).

Paul

£150 for day rate.

Cold Up North:
£150 for day rate.

Can just scrape that round here but it would include vat.

There’s agencies round here chopping rates to keep work and were talking 120 about nwm for se wtf are these idiots playing at.

All I can say thank god I work direct

WTF?, 8.00 per hour self employed!, I am charging myself out at £11.50, mon - fri, with £13.50 Sat and £15.50 Sun and even thats less than I would like, but at least the market can stand that at the moment.

Sapper

The way i see it.
If you are self employed or a Ltd company, Then you should be charging out at a rate that will cover profit on top of a drivers wages. Therefore you can employ a driver as business progresses.
People say the east europeans [zb] the job up.
The problem is much closer to home.

Rob K:

limeyphil:

weewulliewinkie:

Agreed Phil. I was going to make a similar reply yesterday but it wouldn’t have been as polite as yours was.

Hey, thats what the guy charges and as far as i know he does quite well out of it with his regular work, so dont be to quick to condemn him. im just happy that he knows my work, knows my customers and is a good worker. and rob dont give me any crap about " I would,nt get out of bed for that rate"
as i said the guy seems to make a good living at what he does, maybe he charges his other customers more, i dont know cos i dont ask,but i do know a couple of them are big companies and like me prefer somebody that knows thier work rather than different agency men all the time.

and as usuall rob your musings on road transport are laughable, never having owned or operated a transport business how would you know the score, so keep your impolite comments to yourself

weewulliewinkie:

Rob K:

limeyphil:

weewulliewinkie:

Hey, thats what the guy charges and as far as i know he does quite well out of it with his regular work, so dont be to quick to condemn him. im just happy that he knows my work, knows my customers and is a good worker. and rob dont give me any crap about " I would,nt get out of bed for that rate"
as i said the guy seems to make a good living at what he does, maybe he charges his other customers more, i dont know cos i dont ask,but i do know a couple of them are big companies and like me prefer somebody that knows thier work rather than different agency men all the time.

and as usuall rob your musings on road transport are laughable, never having owned or operated a transport business how would you know the score, so keep your impolite comments to yourself

and as usual your musings on what I do and don’t do are laughable and are based on nothing more that what I choose not to divulge on public forums. Bottom line is you’ve got a mug “working” for you that is effectively charging you less than NMW once all the standard PAYE stuff is factored in. Clearly he doesn’t realise this but all you’re doing by using him is dragging the rates down for everyone else which eventually filter through to the hauliers as well. But you’re saving yourself a few quid so why the hell should you care about how it affects anyone else?

Why would paye affect him if he’s selfemoyed paye doesn’t apply any way

and, also, NMW is applied BEFORE any deductions

I’m with Rob on this one, £8/h self employed is an insult, I was on a quid more than that 8 years ago on agency work. I charge a minimum of £11/h now and could still keep 2 or 3 of me busy most of the time.

But on the flip side if I was an employer who found a competent driver who would work for £8/h I would certainly not complain.

Paul