Free Training If Unemployed For 6 Months

as per my other thread i have been unemployed for 4 months, seriously considering doing my class 2 training.

The job centre says when i have been unemployed for 6 months, they can refer me for free training for my class 2, only thing required is i get a company to write a letter saying they will employ me once i get my liscence. I thought no chance then, but the woman said i could try driver hire as someone has used them before and a letter from them has been accepted.

So it looks as though i could have my provisinal ready and my letter ready at 6 months and i can get booked in for free training.

This sounds good however i am really needing work asap and if i take a job elsewhere i have no chance of free training.

I was going to do my class 2 asap i have my D2 and D4 forms here and going to get a quote for a medical.

Based on 5 days training and passing first time my class 2 could cost me £720 exc my medical cost.

SO what im wondering is should i pay for the training myself and do it once my liscence comes back or wait 2 months to get it free. :confused:

Its an old chestunt should I wait or should I go… Have you had any experience of driving a 7.5T does your licence allow you to drive these … reason I ask is that Driver Hire the Agcy will put you through Class 2 and 1 in effect they pay the cost of the training and then put you on a fixed term contract in that they offer you so many hours per weeks work and take the cost of the training out of the money you earn on a weekly basis at so much per week. There are advantages and disadvantages as in all jobs.

I personally would hold on if you are going down the agcy route at the moment depending on what area you live it is pretty slack however in another couple of months it will have started to pick up …

Good luck in what ever you decide

Hi mate,

If the job centre have said they’ll take you on to do it then I’d personally go with them however, I’ve previously been down this road.

It came to the day when I was supposed to go in and fill in the forms and I got there and the, admittedly very kind, lady said that as there were some jobs on file for van driving/courier work I had to go and interview for these first, before they’d let me upgrade my license.

As to the job centre being employed as a “driver” is that, no matter what class of license you desire.

So be very careful, if there’s owt else driving on their books they will insist you go for that first.

In the end I paid for the training myself as it proved to be a lot less hassle, and lets be honest, you are guaranteed to make your money back within a month or so, so it isn’t really a biggie is it?

Best of luck mate in whatever route you take,

Alex

My advice would be prob to wait, unless you have a firm job offer.

This is a dead time for agency work and places taking on drivers. With little or no experience going to find it hard to get agency work. Even if you do agency work 7.5 rates are pretty low and you may end up with a shift or two a week and be better on signing on.

I don’t think they accept letters from Driver Hire any longer, my mate did similar scheme end of last summer and they refused a letter from DH because DH especially in Irvine doesent have much work and even when they do prob wouldnt let you drive a class 2 vehicle, they insist on experience.

A thing to remember about the letter is the wording. It doesent have to be a job offer because unlikely a company will give you a letter offering you a job.

But what is acceptable is somthing along the lines of.

“If ****** had a class 2 LGV licence we would look more favorably on his application”. Somthing along those lines. Asking around will get you a letter, a lot of companies will be willing to help if you explain things.

if youre able to go for training to drive a wagon .why cant you get a job :question:
save up and pay for training IT shows the state of society that otheir members are actually encouraging him . 4 months idle and you think a licence will sort you out NAH :laughing:

You could be noble about it say well i won’t accept a handout, go out find a decent paying job in Ayrshire LOL

PS If you find a decent paying job in Ayrshire let me know cause most seem to be minimum wage washing dishes, working in a shop etc…

Or you could use comon sense and realise the amount of money you have prob paid in council tax, national insurance, income tax, fuel duty, VAT on most things you buy and think well maybe i have contributed to it. Espec since if you don’t take it there is a hell of a lot of other people who will take it in the form of HGV licences or whatever else at least you want to go out get a job from it.

speaking to a guy at work the otheir day he d just done a refresher course for a dump truck .he remarked that it was annoying that a few guys had the course payed for them by the brew and couldnt be bothered turning out

speaking to another driver last week who remarked that it was a waste of time putting doleys through there licence as its not very often . they survive a shift let alone a week .

when someone posts theve been on the dole for 4 months .think theyll stay on it for another 2 months to get a free course.
and as kenny seems to think its alright to finance this guy for 6 months then give him a prize at the end of it . :question:

there isnt a lack of jobs out there just people that will do them .
the migrants to this country .usually have 2/3 he cant get one :question:

erm this is not a debate about whether i should or should not wait till 6 months on moral reasons, its whether or not i should wait or go for it just now.

Its not fair to judge someone without knowing the full circumstances, its the first time i have been unemployed and i was earning 28k 4 months ago so i reckon i have paid into the state coffers substantially enough as to not feel guilty claiming dole money for 6 months.

why should the people that dont / never earn get the free courses, should be the people who have been contributing for years and get help when they need help

nuff said :wink:

and as kenny says the wages in ayrshire are mince, i cannot get a skilled job in my trade so the other option is a minimum wage job which i am unlikely to get as who will employ someone with many skills and experience as they know i wont be there long term so they give the job to the person it is more suited to.

Have you possibly thought of bus work, the bus companys are screaming out for drivers and will put you through your test and give you a job straightaway.

The chances are that the jobcentre will possibly push you in that direction anyway.

just a thought

Semtex:
Have you possibly thought of bus work, the bus companys are screaming out for drivers and will put you through your test and give you a job straightaway.

The chances are that the jobcentre will possibly push you in that direction anyway.

just a thought

i thought of bus driving but to be honest i dont think i could handle that kinda job, the public would drive me mental, or more mental should i say :confused: