Free HGV Training

Hello

I know this topic has been brought up many times but in light of the HGV crisis/shortage Its worth bringing up again.

I have seen on the news that the goverment is going to offer free training to 4000 people to get HGV licences.

It just seems with a driver shortage of 100 000 that this figure is a bit small, so is it likely that only a very small few will be selected to get a place on this training scheme ?

I know you can get free training when unemployed, the problem for me is I am working as a class 2 multi-drop driver (which I dont like to many drops) and I want to get class 1 licence.

I can afford to pay for it myself but have already spent a lot on class 1 training and failed twice on test due to rotten luck! so am looking at free training if I can get it.

I wouldn’t qualify for any existing schemes as far as I know, or is there more funding help out there I don,t know about ?

Any advice appreciated
regards

Ferry to France, and a dinghy back?

Tseal:
Hello

I know this topic has been brought up many times but in light of the HGV crisis/shortage Its worth bringing up again.

I have seen on the news that the goverment is going to offer free training to 4000 people to get HGV licences.

It just seems with a driver shortage of 100 000 that this figure is a bit small, so is it likely that only a very small few will be selected to get a place on this training scheme ?

I know you can get free training when unemployed, the problem for me is I am working as a class 2 multi-drop driver (which I dont like to many drops) and I want to get class 1 licence.

I can afford to pay for it myself but have already spent a lot on class 1 training and failed twice on test due to rotten luck! so am looking at free training if I can get it.

I wouldn’t qualify for any existing schemes as far as I know, or is there more funding help out there I don,t know about ?

Any advice appreciated
regards

I wouldn’t bother.

I have 12 years’ experience and class 1. I’m looking for a couple of shifts a week and no one is interested. I’m not desperate - but nor are the hauliers based on my response.

I regularly pick up work from September to Xmas. This year it has been by far the toughest ro get anything.

Don’t believe all you read in the papers…

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

idrive:

■■?

Is there a shortage of 100,000 HGV drivers or is that just propaganda put out by big employers and the RHA to get the government to open the borders again :bulb:

If you can afford to pay for your own training why do you think it’s a good idea to ask the drivers on this board and the rest of the taxpayers to pay for your training :confused: :confused: :confused:

Truckulent:

Tseal:
Hello

Any advice appreciated
regards

I wouldn’t bother.

I have 12 years’ experience and class 1. I’m looking for a couple of shifts a week and no one is interested. I’m not desperate - but nor are the hauliers based on my response.

I regularly pick up work from September to Xmas. This year it has been by far the toughest ro get anything.

Don’t believe all you read in the papers…

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I thought there was a massive driver shortage everywhere.

tachograph:
Is there a shortage of 100,000 HGV drivers or is that just propaganda put out by big employers and the RHA to get the government to open the borders again :bulb:

If you can afford to pay for your own training why do you think it’s a good idea to ask the drivers on this board and the rest of the taxpayers to pay for your training :confused: :confused: :confused:

I thought the drivers on this board might know something I don’t.

The company I work for claims to be short of nine artic drivers and one rigid I thought there was a big national shortage

Tseal:

tachograph:

I thought the drivers on this board might know something I don’t.

The company I work for claims to be short of nine artic drivers and one rigid I thought there was a big national shortage

If your company is looking for drivers then maybe express your interest to them, see if they could pay for your training.
Other than that, no help with training costs, especially for those already in work, logic being that if you want to do it and have an income then you can save for it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

idrive:

LOL!

As they say, you’re out of luck. You have a “HGV license” already so I would doubt you’d qualify for Government funding. They are aiming at anyone who currently doesn’t hold any C category license at the moment as far as I can tell, in order to get people into the industry.

If you really want to obtain C+E then if both your failed tests were with the same training company, I suggest you find another company and try there?

Anecdotally, it seems that most of the larger, reputable trainers are refusing to sign up to the scheme as it has too many flaws from the trainer’s point of view.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

“Downing Street acknowledged on Sunday that the first fully-trained HGV drivers under the scheme will not be “road ready” until February”
I am hopeful to earn back all my training costs between my test on 12 Nov and Feb!
inews.co.uk/news/hgv-shortage-g … es-1241117

Pete S:
Anecdotally, it seems that most of the larger, reputable trainers are refusing to sign up to the scheme as it has too many flaws from the trainer’s point of view.

Exactly this.

The timescales and payment clauses set out by the Government seem completely unrealistic - most schools simply will not bother given the risks.

A shame as it has/had the potential to be a good scheme.

BishBashBosh:

Pete S:

Exactly this.

The timescales and payment clauses set out by the Government seem completely unrealistic - most schools simply will not bother given the risks.

A shame as it has/had the potential to be a good scheme.

Haha! Is that why the govt announced they have increased spaces from 3000 to 5000 because they know they won’t have to pay/provide almost any of them! :laughing:

Thanks
For the advice everyone I think this scheme doesn’t seem like it’s going to take off.

Pete S:

Can you tell me any more about this please, Pete?