Fred Dibnah (Steeplejack)

Some of you will may enjoy these short videos :smiley:

Fred was a brilliant person to watch and his descriptive and illustrative skills were amazing. I really regret not taking the opportunity to meet him when he was at a local village fair a few years ago.

Fred still is a legend , I love all his programs . I am terrified of heights but he amazes me every time watch him :slight_smile:

Loved the one when he had to move his landrover sharpish, before the chimney buried it. Top man in every respect.

Proper old school.

No 'elf and safety bullcrap here.

Legend.

Ken.

Was sat in my living room a good few years back, and heard a metallic sound, last time I’d heard something similar, was when a drunk driver that’d had a puncture, was running on the rim, and bouncing off most of the parked motors on the other side of the road.

So I darted to the window to check out the din. There was Fred, cap on, covered in soot and oil, ■■■ on, happy as Larry, beaming like a Cheshire Cat, on his traction engine, not a bloody care in the world.

Proper top full-on Northern, salt of the earth bloke.

I’d bung him a posthumous knighthood.

He’d more than likely say “Champion” and roll up a ■■■.

good find tacho

“Hmmm aye, hmmm yer know, aye, hmmm” Fred Dibnah MBE (28 April 1938 — 6 November 2004)

Seen both his engines and land rover plus his living van at quite a few shows oop north this year.

I started my retirement fund a couple af years ago to own a engine of sort when Iam 55. Fingers crossed.

I sometimes see men working in coffee shops and such like cleaning tables and washing dishes.What would Fred Dibnah make of such things.I am so glad that I had the opportunity to wear a boiler suit with pride to operate machine tools and shovel coal and drive trucks and buses.

I’ve read his biography, and he hated dropping those old chimneys. There’s an old chimney where I’m based (former Blue Circle, Shipton on Cherwell) and I’d love to see it demolished in the Fred style. Light a fire, blow a little horn and run like 'eck!
:laughing: