Four Wheelers of all weights and lengths

Hi ParkRoyal2100, Welcome to the forum mate! Like your post, some good pics. there. I had a Daf very much like that one, only a curtainsider. Also had a Merc 1617, but it wasn’t very quick and didn’t like hills at all. :frowning: Nice drive though for all that, not that I got to drive them too much when I first had them, as I was in the yard or office most of the time by then. The Daf was the last one I kept when I started to run the business down, so did get nearly 12 months on the road again in that and quite enjoyed it. Like yours, mine was a bit heavy once I put the curtain body on, and one driver got me into a bit of strife with that! :unamused: Will get a picture of it on when I get time. Keep posting yours when you can, oh and liked your bikes too. :sunglasses: cheers, BigG-Unit.

Three four-wheelers in Bruges.

Cracking pics.
Here’s some more from here,there and everywhere.

008.JPG

James Nuttall of Castleton Nr Rochdale taken at Mossley Tameside having just made a delivery to the Sunlight Textiles Services

Puddle jumpers now replaced with Atego 1624L

Ex park potatoes

FNB866D.jpg

Lest it’s forgotten the “four wheeler” was the foundation and backbone of many fleets of yesteryear,I for one always had a soft spot for this size of motor which is why we always at least one or two in the Bewick fleet,sometimes more! I would hazzard a guess that there will be umpteen photos “out there” of this marque of motor!! This was the very last 4 wheel rigid that ran full time in the Bewick fleet,and it was worked “bloody hard” by the great Dave Priestley( sat at the wheel making a "roll up!) who came from Littleborough and was based at that time at our Rochdale depot on Kingsway.This was Dave’s 2nd motor the first one being a day cab 82,the third one he got was a new Tautliner bodied 6 wheel 93 sleeper and he delivered a corresponding step up in “work rate”!!!Bewick.

Good idea for a thread Dennis.
I drove four wheelers most of the time,and six wheelers at other times.As you say they were the backbone of the haulage industry up until the late 60’s.I remember blokes spending six days away from home in day cabbed four wheelers with some sleeping in the cab summer and winter,saving the night out money.A chap that lived next door to us slept in the cab of a parrot nosed Leyland Comet in those days and ended up with rheumatic fever,he survived and passed away this year aged 84.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:
Good idea for a thread Dennis.
I drove four wheelers most of the time,and six wheelers at other times.As you say they were the backbone of the haulage industry up until the late 60’s.I remember blokes spending six days away from home in day cabbed four wheelers with some sleeping in the cab summer and winter,saving the night out money.A chap that lived next door to us slept in the cab of a parrot nosed Leyland Comet in those days and ended up with rheumatic fever,he survived and passed away this year aged 84.
Cheers Dave.

It was just an idea Dave! as to wether it creates ongoing interest remains to be seen! We used our four wheelers for all kinds of smaller jobs which wern’t suitable for an artic,sometimes I’d do the job myself(just to keep my hand in you understand!!)Cheers Dennis.

Most drivers and owner operators I know, started up with a 4 wheeler, some stayed with them for years. It was a great learning curve into transport, the map reading and load securing had already been learned, the next step was to get used to the extra length and strange steering in reverse, although most people learned that in the yard on a Saturday morning.

I have mentioned before that I built commercial bodywork and many of our customers started with a 4 wheeler, Dodge, Super Comet or similar, bur when containerisation was the big thing, people wanted skeletal bodies building on DAF 2200 rigids or 20’ pins on a flat body.

Some of the four wheelers still in use in this area.

I realise that this shot has appeared elsewhere on the site but this is where it belongs now! First “A” licenced motor I ran was this D1000 ■■■■■■■ V8/Turner 5 speed/Eaton 2 speed.I know they and the Dodge V’s got a bad reputation but this motor never missed a beat during the time I ran it (I was the only driver).Used to change the oil every 2 weeks,filter every other.We did the same on the 2 Perkins V’s we had and they gave satisfactory service as well.This shot would be in early '69 and IIRC it was loaded for Sainsbury’s Stamford St depot with Tomato ketchup ex Libby’s Milnthorpe factory.Bewick.

Question to the floor----are 4 wheelers 17 or 18 Ton GVW now? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Question to the floor----are 4 wheelers 17 or 18 Ton GVW now? Cheers Dennis.

18 Ton GVW Dennis.
Here’s a hard working 60’s lorry,new in 1960 to owner driver Derek Layton with over 10 ton of animal feeds,running at 14 to gross.

Thanks for that Dave,I’ve just remembered that the IVECO that carried my horse box and was new in '89 was 17 ton gvw. They must have reduced the gvw’s since the day’s I drove the D1000 as I have had it weighing out at up to 20ton gross on occaisions!! usually on a Bank holiday week when I was only doing one round trip to London and the cockneys insisted on me clearing up all the drops for W-e-s-t-m-o-r-l-a-n-d and Barrow/Lancaster,where’s Westmorland “John” near Glasgow is it!!! I used to run back very steadily during the night,never had a problem with tyres and the ■■■■■■■ took it in it’s stride,Happy days!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
I realise that this shot has appeared elsewhere on the site but this is where it belongs now! First “A” licenced motor I ran was this D1000 ■■■■■■■ V8/Turner 5 speed/Eaton 2 speed.I know they and the Dodge V’s got a bad reputation but this motor never missed a beat during the time I ran it (I was the only driver).Used to change the oil every 2 weeks,filter every other.We did the same on the 2 Perkins V’s we had and they gave satisfactory service as well.This shot would be in early '69 and IIRC it was loaded for Sainsbury’s Stamford St depot with Tomato ketchup ex Libby’s Milnthorpe factory.Bewick.

Whats the car on the drive drive ?
Looks like its got oversized wheels on the back or is it the n/s D series head light ? :confused:

they have upped the weights of all the rigids over the years Dennis.They aren’t carrying anymore payload than back when you had your D series Ford.The modern motors have bigger engines and heavier everything making the tare higher.
Cheers Dave.

This shot was taken IIRC on an M1 services one Sunday (possibly Newport Pag.) It is the Bedford TK KE my brother drove as a teenager.Our second Mastiff artic is pulled up behind.The D1000,unfortunately is not in the shot doh!Cheers Dennis.

If “H” decides to come out of retirement and take the job “on offer” this is the motor he’ll be starting on!!! Prior to promotion onto an 80(if he dosen’t get in lumber during his trial period!)!! Anon.

I drove this Dodge for S W Brisbane of Knighton on quarry work.It was less than three years old in 1969/70 when I got it.Used two gallons of oil on a hard day,as did another the same,they both had 6.354 Perkins engines.Brisbanes TM was quite happy for us to keep pouring the oil into the engine until one Saturday morning the conrod came out of the side of the sister motor to this one :confused: :laughing: