Found on you tube, norway to dubai

youtube.com/watch?v=RpFgPOQHUOg

norway to dubai

good film.interesting if any of the old middle east boys on here are in it. good shot of the londra etc

Nice find Brian - firm is Johan Evensen of “Bandar Abbas Express” fame. I do some work with GAC (Gulf Agency Company on the tilt cover) nowadays and didn’t realise they’d been around that long

here ya go fellas bandar abbas express johan evensen
http://www.veteran98.no/bandarweb.htm
http://www.veteran98.no/EVENSENGALLERI.htm

r slicker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpFgPOQHUOg

norway to dubai

good film.interesting if any of the old middle east boys on here are in it. good shot of the londra etc

Great film!.
The desert crossing was that between Qatar and the UAE before the road was built.
When I did my first M/E trip in 1975 I heard tales from the drivers on Oryx Freight that they had to drop their trailers at the end of the blacktop and let the local drivers with Kenworth desert tractors fitted with sand tyres pull the trailers down to the UAE.
Because of the shifting sand,it was not unusual to have a length of tarmac laid one day to find it had moved or even disappeared the following day.
I noticed the driver on the film switched his engine off and left the turbo spinning down,not good practice!

Ive got this on DVD its a good watch but not in English :confused:

Hi Ian, I am aware that my brain is just a bit pickled nowaday’s and rightfully so with the abuse it’s had over the years. Especially driving a few scania’s over unmade roads to and from distant lands. The point being, after watching and enjoying that film (Norway to Dubai), on reading your post which included:- Quote ! I noticed the driver on the film switched his engine off and left the turbo spinning down,not good practice! I had Thought Now theres a sound that i have not heard for a long time■■? The oil Spinner running down after the engine was stopped… Please tell me if I am Wrong. Regards Jamie.

A Scot Lost in the Valley’s.

Your right Jamie the oil spinner did used to keep spinning & whistling after the engine was stopped, I remember scraping the black ■■■■ out of them on service, I’m sure that was even up to early 112’s well it must have been cos its the only Scania I’ve owned. Mind I did have an R reg 111 for a bit so maybe it was that, I’m sure I’ll get corrected if wrong :smiley:

Fly sheet

Yep it’s the centrifugal oil spinner that Scania motors use for oil filtration. They only use a small spin on oil filter,which is about the size of a car oil filter. It’s a strange whiring sound that’s a bit unnerving the first time you hear it,it does go on for a while after the motor shuts down. You pull the spinner apart and as fly sheet says you scrape out the build up of black hard crap that has stuck to the outside of the spinner. It’s quite amazing how much gunk is stuck to them.
I’ve worked on 2 and 3 series Scanias and they had them fitted,not sure about the 4 and R series though,but I reckon they probably do.

Hi boys
Jamie, I don’t know about the R but my 144/530 definitely does have one along with a large spin on.When you clean out the crud look carefully at the layers to see if there is any layers of steel as that may be a sign of bearing brake up. This was the only form of oil filter on the early none turbo 110 and when fitted with a turbo( 110 super ) and ( 140 super ) it had an extra small spin on as you said just for the turbo, You could use a Hillman Imp filter if you were desperate but If it got blocked the turbo would squeal as there was not bypass in the filter.We used to carry a spare when going over the water :slight_smile:

Regards Keith

M&C Jamie:
Hi Ian, I am aware that my brain is just a bit pickled nowaday’s and rightfully so with the abuse it’s had over the years. Especially driving a few scania’s over unmade roads to and from distant lands. The point being, after watching and enjoying that film (Norway to Dubai), on reading your post which included:- Quote ! I noticed the driver on the film switched his engine off and left the turbo spinning down,not good practice! I had Thought Now theres a sound that i have not heard for a long time■■? The oil Spinner running down after the engine was stopped… Please tell me if I am Wrong. Regards Jamie.

A Scot Lost in the Valley’s.

Jamie,
I must admit to a big gap in my Scania knowledge file, I did not know that Scanias had a centrifugal oil filter,I must take more interest in Scanias than I do in other marques.
On the occasions I drove Scanias,for Expo Freight,as with any other turbo engined motor,I let them tick over for a few minutes before switching off,to allow the turbo to slow down,which is probably why I didn’t hear an oil spinner either.

I had a 140 with a centrifugal filter. To clean it all you had to do was to unscrew the top & change the greaseproof paper liner. All the impurities from the oil were impelled to the sides of the filter & stuck to the paper - It was quick & no mess because the impurities were dry. You used a small trowel to scrape the sides & washed it out with paraffin then put a fresh liner in. Never had to buy a new filter.