Forth and Caledonian

The book ‘A pictorial history of BRS’ by Nick Baldwin will tell you all about the changes in structure and livery, there is also a nice coloured pic of a Scottish GUY Big J in Blue and White livery in the centre colour section, excellent book and available from Nynehead books, www.nynehead-books.co.uk Good xmas present! Franky.

stravaiger:

Wheel Nut:
Fotki link still not working for me has bedgar moved his hosting site?

public.fotki.com/scottishtruckph … sh-trucks/

Have a go at this one and just fish around for things …jim

Cheers, this one may link directly.

public.fotki.com/scottishtruckph … -transpor/

An AEC Mercury tanker at British Hydrocarbons which I think was taken at Grangemouth.I wondered if it was a William Dobson contract motor?

My dad Bill edwards and his brother Ron both worked for Caledonian in the late 50 early 60s at lots road chelsea on general the good old times eh 14 hours aint enough and 18 aint to many

The Transport preservation group in Dumfries have had a couple of nights showing slides of Caledonian Road Services… I could only attend 1 sadly making the trip from Devon to SW Scotland… well worth the drive though!!

Chris Webb:
An AEC Mercury tanker at British Hydrocarbons which I think was taken at Grangemouth.I wondered if it was a William Dobson contract motor?

Was that William Dobson the same company as Dobsons of Edinburgh,Chris?
That was another largish company now gone.I remember,I think it was York,may have been Calvert from Vosa going in there and putting something like 100 trailers and 60 units off the road.

Gridley51:

Chris Webb:

Was that William Dobson the same company as Dobsons of Edinburgh,Chris?
That was another largish company now gone.I remember,I think it was York,may have been Calvert from Vosa going in there and putting something like 100 trailers and 60 units off the road.

Yes,I think so.Dobsons were running out of BP Grangemouth in the 60s and 70s,dark green motors with white or yellow? signwriting,Dobson in big letters on the cab doors,I remember them running 3-axled Atkis with tandem axle tanks and I’ve seen a photo somewhere of one.That Vosa feller was keen :open_mouth:

Yes,I think so.Dobsons were running out of BP Grangemouth in the 60s and 70s,dark green motors with white or yellow? signwriting,Dobson in big letters on the cab doors,I remember them running 3-axled Atkis with tandem axle tanks and I’ve seen a photo somewhere of one.That Vosa feller was keen :open_mouth:
[/quote]
Definitely dark green Atkis.Based at Loanhead.Fair sized company in their day.Im not sure if their licence was curtailed as a result of the GV9s but imagine it would have been although the TC`s were nowhere as strict then as they are now.
Be well over 25 years since that happened.Calvert and York must have retired in the mid eighties.I got on well with both of them.They were white coats based in Livingston.
Something in the back of my mind says what was left of Dobsons got taken over but could be wrong.

Some Photos of Dobsons on Brian Edgars Site.

Towards the end of the company.

Gridley51:
Definitely dark green Atkis.Based at Loanhead.Fair sized company in their day.Im not sure if their licence was curtailed as a result of the GV9s but imagine it would have been although the TC`s were nowhere as strict then as they are now.
Be well over 25 years since that happened.Calvert and York must have retired in the mid eighties.I got on well with both of them.They were white coats based in Livingston.
Something in the back of my mind says what was left of Dobsons got taken over but could be wrong.

Dobsons were still in existence as they became engulfed into Pickfords, Exel and eventually DHL

Heres a few of Caledonian/Forth group pictures. Hope you like em :smiley:

SMS 553H.jpg

RWG 718.jpg

RSM 557N.jpg

RSM 424.jpg

Amazing photos Steptoe, cheers!

Those old Forth motors could look pretty smart, although I think underneath the shiny paint they were just as battered and bashed as the BRS/SRS units. The SRS livery looked pretty flash wne it was introduced too (around 73?) but if I remember correctly it wasn’t long before the paint started to flake off them :smiley:

Road Services Tay ran in the same livery as Forth, Caledonian, and McKinnon. Anyone know if these outfits were a Scottish sub-division of Transport Holdings?

Cheers again Steptoe, brought a big smile to my face today.

macdangerous:
Amazing photos Steptoe, cheers!

Those old Forth motors could look pretty smart, although I think underneath the shiny paint they were just as battered and bashed as the BRS/SRS units. The SRS livery looked pretty flash wne it was introduced too (around 73?) but if I remember correctly it wasn’t long before the paint started to flake off them :smiley:

Road Services Tay ran in the same livery as Forth, Caledonian, and McKinnon. Anyone know if these outfits were a Scottish sub-division of Transport Holdings?

Cheers again Steptoe, brought a big smile to my face today.

worked for tay forth darlington dept, from '69 - '73. Not sure if they were part of transport holdings but could of been. like you say, good to see the pics bringing back good memories.

Vic.

Heres a few more photos…

snowcat2.jpg

snowcat3.jpg

steptoe:

hiya,
Thanks for that Steptoe the F88 GUP 439H is my old workhorse but only got hold of it in i’ts “dying days” it was well past it and needed attention every trip was a left over from Siddle C Cooks days and the pic is posed in Cookie’s old yard it had no doubt had a hard life prior to me getting hold of it.
thanks harry long retired.

harry_gill:

steptoe:

hiya,
Thanks for that Steptoe the F88 GUP 439H is my old workhorse but only got hold of it in i’ts “dying days” it was well past it and needed attention every trip was a left over from Siddle C Cooks days and the pic is posed in Cookie’s old yard it had no doubt had a hard life prior to me getting hold of it.
thanks harry long retired.

Harry,At forth Darlington we ended up whith Cookie’s old motors Scammells-Atki’s -Seddons and two Leylands, All played out lucky to get past Scotch Corner whith out a brake down .vic.

:smiley: Thats amazing Harry, your old motor!!! Pleased you liked them, heres a few more, the 86 may bring back some memories, sorry for the quality though.

WSM 127.jpg

TSM 238-237.jpg

T.864C.V.jpg