Fort William to Glasgow

This morning I came down the A82 and coming round Loch Lomond it was properly tight in places. Some corners it was even tight if it was a car coming the other way. At one point I met 2 coaches coming the opposite was and was almost a food your mirrors in job to get past each other. This was at 6:30am so wasn’t as bad as it could be when the tourists are out in force later on but I can imagine if I’d come that way later in the day it could have been a nightmare for everyone concerned. Is there a better way than this? A85 then A84? I did consider that but looking on my atlas the A82 was a nice thick green line all the way down which didn’t really give me any doubts. It’s normally when it’s a A road in red or white when it looks like it could be dodgy to me!

So why not come down to Sterling then motorway to Glasgow might be a bit longer but probably quicker

Have done that route in a lorry before & yep met a couple going the other way 1 had to stop let other pass slowly one of them we both had to pull mirrors in & let 1 drive past slow this was in the middle of the day it was interesting

Sure there is another way just can’t remember it

Crianlarich - Lix Toll - Lochearnhead - Callander - Stirling - Glasgow is a longer but a bit straighter. Bit less touristy too. Steep downhill Lix Toll to Lochearnhead though.

Would go via Callander to Stirling.
Better road than squeezing down the top of lomond.
Love that area but a nightmare round the top of the loch

The timber boys don’t find it tight on that road, infact they probably speed up when a coach or lorry approaches :laughing:

When it’s that tight perhaps it’s one road that could do with a weight limit except for access. Thanks for advice. If I get that run again I think I’ll go the slightly longer way then!

There was another artic about 6 cars behind me though and he was from a local company so he must think the route is ok!

A use the A82 on a very regular basis for Fort William or Oban and don’t mind it at all, I even remember back to when the whole stretch up the side of Loch Lomond was like that. I would’nt even consider using the Stirling route, too full of trolly dollies and tankers doing 35, not that I’m a speed freak or anything :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
A usually try and hit that stretch early morning or late afternoon but on the occasions that I run it during the day like monday there it can be quite entertaining following the tourists and non local buses and trucks ■■■■■■■■ themselfs everytime they meet something coming the other way. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I often drive a mini bus up Glen Ogle ,thats the bit between Lochearnhead and Lix Toll.I posted last year about the Jenkinson motors that I would meet on that part of the route.TNCSI reckoned that they were hauling forestry products from Fort Bill to the central belt.As they use this road probably the O.P. should as well.

A84 and then A811 or just take the motorway. A82 is the shortest but not the quickest.

Well if I get this run again I’ll try the Stirling way to compare.

A82 is both the shortest and the quickest. But, when it goes pete-tong and the road is closed, you’re ■■■■’d.

brilliant fun up that way if you have your wits about you :smiley: :sunglasses:

Even better with a loaded chipliner.

happysack:
Even better with a loaded chipliner.

Funny you mention chipliners, a followed one the other day on the a9 and the bloody thing should have had marker boards, must have been at least 10ft wide :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Aye you should try reversing one in a straight line