Former Tesco drivers stage protest

Former drivers who worked at Tesco’s distribution centre in Doncaster have staged a protest at the depot claiming they were unfairly dismissed.

The union Unite claims the supermarket chain and transport firm Eddie Stobart Ltd (ESL) agreed to make 184 workers redundant before consulting with staff.

The case is being heard by an employment tribunal. Protests also took place at depots in Widnes and Goole.

Tesco said it had offered the drivers “alternative roles at Tesco”.

The dispute began when ESL took over the supermarket’s distribution operation in August 2012.

ESL announced job losses following a reorganisation of the business.

Drivers took industrial action which ended in January 2013 when they accepted an improved redundancy package from ESL.
‘Alternative roles’

Unite national officer Adrian Jones said: "Our members are seeking nothing, but justice.

“We want to see these employers brought to task, so that other workers do not have to suffer the same fate as the 184 drivers at Doncaster.”

As well as the protests in Doncaster, Goole and Widnes, the union is handing out leaflets at stores across the UK.

In a statement, Tesco said: "When we took the decision to transfer the drivers to ESL in 2012, we did everything we could to offer them all alternative roles at Tesco.

"And that offer was made again when Stobart’s closed the transport operation at Doncaster last year.

“We have contingency plans to ensure our customers are not affected by this action.”

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england…shire-28599358

By heck they still moaning about that? pretty sure all 184 shan’t be attending as i know of at least 5 who work for stobarts out of goole now… I worked on agency at doncaster depot before and after stobarts took over the operation and in honesty those guys where paid a awesome wage for little easy work (what every driver should really be paid for the job they do) to put in in perspective they was earning around the 48K mark for a 40 hour 5 day week… a package 98% of drivers nowadays dream about but in the “competitive market” is unsustainable which is why TESCO put stobarts in charge of the operation.

While i had a lot of sympathy originally with how the package was originally put to these drivers the final straw came when i overheard 4 of them in conversation next to me in the drivers lobby. One complaining that he would have to sell his 12 plate range rover sport and possibly downgrade his 5 bedroom house (bear in mind this is a guy well into his 50`s with no family other than his wife at home) AND he wouldnt be able to afford his 2 week holiday in the Caribbean this year.

After hearing that converstion i lost all respect for there cause unfortunately and think welcome to the real world buddy. Good luck to them all and i hope they find a driving job that allows them their range rover sport, 5 bedroom house and Caribbean holidays in the future. And if they do get me a job there too haha

stupidn00b:
While i had a lot of sympathy originally with how the package was originally put to these drivers the final straw came when i overheard 4 of them in conversation next to me in the drivers lobby. One complaining that he would have to sell his 12 plate range rover sport and possibly downgrade his 5 bedroom house (bear in mind this is a guy well into his 50`s with no family other than his wife at home) AND he wouldnt be able to afford his 2 week holiday in the Caribbean this year.

After hearing that converstion i lost all respect for there cause unfortunately and think welcome to the real world buddy. Good luck to them all and i hope they find a driving job that allows them their range rover sport, 5 bedroom house and Caribbean holidays in the future. And if they do get me a job there too haha

The politics of envy, self destruction for the working man who can’t see the results for the green mist.

The way forward is to align yourself with and support those who have led the way to the best negotiated terms and conditions, not to cheer and gloat as another prime job is destroyed in the race to the bottom.

Juddian:

stupidn00b:

The politics of envy, self destruction for the working man who can’t see the results for the green mist.

The way forward is to align yourself with and support those who have led the way to the best negotiated terms and conditions, not to cheer and gloat as another prime job is destroyed in the race to the bottom.

Once again a nail hit firmly and squarely on the head.

the maoster:

Juddian:

stupidn00b:

Once again a nail hit firmly and squarely on the head.

Indeed, I concur.

[
[/quote]
In my mind mate the real world is reading about companies like Tesco posting profits of 100s of millions if not Billions each year yet still think it’s acceptable to reduce the amount they pay their staff and reduce the staff benefits. Pure disgusting greed which drives down the living wage of all of us not just the minority who still have a well paid driving job. No wonder hardly anyone will be able to afford to buy their own home in the future.

While they were on 48k a year for 40 hrs, they’d be happy to work along the agency man doing long hours on low money! Isn’t the Unions objective to create better conditions for the working man, or just a limited number? The unions could make a stand and say “No agency in here”, that’s not going to happen, that would mean the staffing budget spread between more bodies, effectively less for each worker.Not making a stand would suggest the unions are in favor of the agencies.

The original plan was a go slow protest but this was abandoned when they realised that nobody would notice it.

Let’s face it it’s not the first and doubt it be the last time ESL have put others out of work by under cutting it’s only so public because it happened at Tesco.

taffytrucker:
Let’s face it it’s not the first and doubt it be the last time ESL have put others out of work by under cutting it’s only so public because it happened at Tesco.

And this won’t be the last time stobarts and undercutting is brought up as if they’re the only firm that do!! It’s day one of business school stuff and before dinner at that!!

Do you shop around at insurance renewal time?

What is it with drivers not wanting other drivers to have stuff. We should all have better conditions, pay etc. but too many times you hear others drivers insisting you have to work 84 hours a week for your £25000 a year etc.
I wonder what some drivers would do at times if offered £47,000 for 36 hour week.

localboy:
In my mind mate the real world is reading about companies like Tesco posting profits of 100s of millions if not Billions each year yet still think it’s acceptable to reduce the amount they pay their staff and reduce the staff benefits. Pure disgusting greed which drives down the living wage of all of us not just the minority who still have a well paid driving job. No wonder hardly anyone will be able to afford to buy their own home in the future.

What happened with Tesco is quite simple in my mind. They were looking at how to save some money (like all businesses do)… they look through the wage bills and notice that the lorry drivers are earning more money than many senior managers in stores. Managers that actually lead teams, drive trade and help the company make money. They thought “this doesn’t make much sense”, research average lorry driver wages in the industry and comes to the conclusion that the company are vastly overspending on driver wages. The rest is history.

The truth is, if there wasn’t any driver’s there would be no Tesco’s.or any other business.

LASHHGV:
What is it with drivers not wanting other drivers to have stuff. We should all have better conditions, pay etc. but too many times you hear others drivers insisting you have to work 84 hours a week for your £25000 a year etc.
I wonder what some drivers would do at times if offered £47,000 for 36 hour week.

They would throw a tantrum say you can’t do that it’s my truck not the firms so I will work 84 hours per week and can I still come in on a Sunday to polish it for free.

T & Eddie couldn’t give a flying chuff about them drivers, they should open their eyes & move on.

From day 1 I have refused to go through the picket line and have been put on alternative work,last week I was sent up too doncaster totally unaware of any picket line,when I saw what was there I parked up and informed t.o there was a picket line outside and as I stated when all this started I wasn’t going through it,I was rang back and told to wind my windows up and drive through the goods in gate at 5 mph( I explained I wasn’t breaking a picket line) and the only option was if they wanted the work doing they’d have too bring the tri too me.i then received another phone call telling me I was mistaken it wasn’t a picket line but a PEACEFULL protest ( do coppers attend PEACEFULL protests :exclamation: :exclamation: ,), I declined and said I wasn’t going in as far as I was concerned it was a picket line and I wasn’t going too break it ,I was then parked up until such time the picket line has dispersed and then went in and carried on with my days work.
I don’t have feelings either way for these tesco drivers,it’s there battle they can fight it,as I would do my own battles,
I just won’t break a picket line,I saw what it can do too family’s,dad and uncle never spoke again.

I’m not sure what they’re after. They’ve agreed to revised conditions, been offered alternative roles. So what are they protesting about?

D’ya not?:
While they were on 48k a year for 40 hrs, they’d be happy to work along the agency man doing long hours on low money! Isn’t the Unions objective to create better conditions for the working man, or just a limited number? The unions could make a stand and say “No agency in here”, that’s not going to happen, that would mean the staffing budget spread between more bodies, effectively less for each worker.Not making a stand would suggest the unions are in favor of the agencies.

Shunters who is still on win canton contract said he’s on 33 k for 40 hrs,2 pm- 10 p.m,I find it hard to believe the drivers were on 15k more for the same hours (40) ,I’ve no doubt there were drivers on 48k but I would guess that would include o/t etc.
Which is what the shunter says,he earns more than 33k but has to do extra hours,o/t shifts.

LASHHGV:

My mate told me he would rather tramp all week for £500 take home than do 40 hr a week local work and be home for the same money… :open_mouth:
Each to there own but I think it’s a crazy attitude

limeyphil:
I’m not sure what they’re after. They’ve agreed to revised conditions, been offered alternative roles. So what are they protesting about?

It’s about why they were finished,carbon footprints and all that,unfair dismissal,I think they’ve got a very good chance of winning,hasn’t a judge ordered esl to explain there carbon footprint in court ( maybe true/ maybe not) ,will they get compo/ jobs back,I don’t know,but if I knew what I guess they know ,I’d be carrying on fighting tooth and nail