Forklift Licence

health and safety guidelines (ACOPs) only recommend refresher training every 3 to 5 years ( so basically anytime in that period is acceptable) it is not mandatory requirement !!

p.s …unknown to many

but if you have been trained on other flts and have been certified on them, i was told by an rtitb instructor that any flt training regardless of machine type / category would automatically refresh my other licences. i dont have to take seperate refresher tests for each type of forklift.

all these trainers that provide flt certs with 3 year valid dates, are just conning people into thinking their licences only last 3 years , after all more money in their pockets if everyone has a refresher every 3 years instead of every 5 years! :unamused:

matizerSCANIAR480:
I read online that there is no such thing as a forklift licence, the article said that your employer writes something to say that you can drive the forklift where required■■? Is this true :slight_smile:

Well I’d say it is true. 30 years ago, I got my first, at Marshalls at Hipperholme. My training was ‘Fozzy’ the yard foreman asking can you drive a folk lift? After I told him I’d never had a go his answer was well empty that top shed and you’ll know! He was right, lets face it if you have to be taught to drive a flt you shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near it!

As far as I’m aware the ‘Law’ says you should have adequate training. Insurance companies dictate that you have to be members of one club or another. That’s different to the law.

But in them days gaffers would put there name to a bit of paper now they’d rather ‘limit the liability’ to a 3rd party micky mouse training organisation.

animal:
There are FLT courses but it is not a licence as such just a certificate to say that you are competent to use 1 & it is advised that you re new this every 3 years

Also depends on the type of FLT as there is the counterbalance & reach both slightly different you would normally do your counterbalance 1st then add a extra day for your reach

It can be done "in house " which can only be used where you took the test or external can be transferred to any where

There is more than 1 examining body as well so depends who teaches you & what governing body they are under depends on the final test & which certificate you receive

We used to do these competency certificates for forking offshore as opposed to a full licence. Basically if memory serves me, they where only valid in the place you done your course. So you could not get your certificate with company A on their premises, and then leave and use that certificate on company B premises as it would be a different place.

I at one time had a folder full of these things well about 7 all valid, as every-time i went on a different rig, even though the lay out was all exactly the same as they where all “Marathon Letournau class 116 jackups” i had to do another competency course. :laughing: :laughing:

and you think the haulage industry can make up some cobblers. :unamused:

Coincidently, at the time, the HSE frowned upon these certificates. There attitude was anyone can be classed as competent, until such time they are proven to be incompetent. at that stage it normally means someone’s got hurt or caused a lot of damage. :laughing: :laughing:

ironstipper:

animal:
There are FLT courses but it is not a licence as such just a certificate to say that you are competent to use 1 & it is advised that you re new this every 3 years

Also depends on the type of FLT as there is the counterbalance & reach both slightly different you would normally do your counterbalance 1st then add a extra day for your reach

It can be done "in house " which can only be used where you took the test or external can be transferred to any where

There is more than 1 examining body as well so depends who teaches you & what governing body they are under depends on the final test & which certificate you receive

We used to do these competency certificates for forking offshore as opposed to a full licence. Basically if memory serves me, they where only valid in the place you done your course. So you could not get your certificate with company A on their premises, and then leave and use that certificate on company B premises as it would be a different place.

I at one time had a folder full of these things well about 7 all valid, as every-time i went on a different rig, even though the lay out was all exactly the same as they where all “Marathon Letournau class 116 jackups” i had to do another competency course. :laughing: :laughing:

and you think the haulage industry can make up some cobblers. :unamused:

Coincidently, at the time, the HSE frowned upon these certificates. There attitude was anyone can be classed as competent, until such time they are proven to be incompetent. at that stage it normally means someone’s got hurt or caused a lot of damage. :laughing: :laughing:

my last workplace they had someone come in to test u so to speak and was told it was only for that work place i did my own licence/certificate in hedge end which had a expiry date of october last year

ironstipper:

That is the crux of it, there is no such thing as a FLT licence, all thats required is competency training by your employer. Although some others above seem to think they indeed do have a FLT licence, bless !! :laughing:

i have counter balance , reach truck , and hiab licence and they all expire 3 years from date of course passed

was told i would need a refresher upon expiry if i wanted to keep them

all 3 have your photo , cert number and expiry dates also has nors registration number

they are classed as national so can be used anywhere not just inhouse with the company you work for

i have in the past had to show these licences to the firms i have delivered to in order to unload myself when they have not had a forky there at the time

wigan:
i have counter balance , reach truck , and hiab licence and they all expire 3 years from date of course passed

who by? the same ‘training company’ that wants the repeat business in 3 years?

wigan:

all 3 have your photo , cert number and expiry dates also has nors registration number

they are classed as national so can be used anywhere not just inhouse with the company you work for

i have in the past had to show these licences to the firms i have delivered to in order to unload myself when they have not had a forky there at the time

[What licence do I need to operate mobile plant in the workplace?

There are no government issued licences for vehicles at work, the law requires that each operator is given adequate training by their employer so that they are competent to operate the machinery which they use (the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998; regulation 9).](Frequently asked questions - Workplace transport)

HOW LONG DOES A FORK TRUCK DRIVER’S LICENCE LAST?
There is no such thing as a fork lift truck driver’s licence!
There is no central licensing authority.
Every employer has a responsibility, under Regulation 9 of the Provision and Use of Work
Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER 98), to ensure that employees have adequate training
before they use work equipment. The training required in order to operate most fork lift trucks
is explained in the special Code of Practice detailed below.
The operator should receive training on each type of equipment he or she may be required to
operate. Such training may be provided by an in-house instructor or an external trainer. The
training provider should then issue a certificate, or other document, giving details of the
results of that training. This document is not a licence.

not saying you do or dont just saying it has an expiry date

to me if its expired its out of date and no longer valid

Driven all sorts of forklifts and plant and I’ve never had a bit a paper from someone that probably hasn’t ever driven that exact machine but’s got a money for old rope number as a trainer, sorry I mean ahem ‘licence’ :laughing:

marlow:

wigan:

who by? the same ‘training company’ that wants the repeat business in 3 years?

agree with ya mate , training companys are just imposing their own rules in order to cash in on repeat business by sticking 3 year stipulations on the certificates that they issue, even thou the health and safety guidelines state refresher training is recommended every 3 to 5 years , so why dont they stick 5 years on their certificates ■■? :unamused:

I read online that there is no such thing as a forklift licence, the article said that your employer writes something to say that you can drive the forklift where required■■? Is this true :slight_smile:

Sorry mate but that’s utter ■■■■■■■■! I have a forklift licence and while it’ll never expire, it is recommended that I get refresher training every 5 years.

not as far as i’m aware.i’ve had a FLT licence for over 20 yrs now & every firm i’ve gone to as a new employee,have insited that i go on their refresher training course.
the term used is ‘A suitabley trained person’ when using/driving pieces of plant & flts etc.this means you will have been on a course or been shown how to use it by another suitably trained person or company.

if you have an incident where your driving a piece of plant or equipment your not trained on & you injure someone,you,as well as your company are liable to prosecution & to be sued for compensation.
even more so now in the mad H&S climate & claim culture we live in

john_costigan:
Sorry mate but that’s utter ■■■■■■■■! I have a forklift licence and while it’ll never expire, it is recommended that I get refresher training every 5 years.

The company that i work for send us for refresher’s every 3 year. I am on mine on mon/tue’s .

Northern boy:

john_costigan:

The company that i work for send us for refresher’s every 3 year. I am on mine on mon/tue’s .

Funny you should mention that, I thought it was 3 years but we had our in house manual handling and fire training courses on sat and we were expecting our forklift refreshers too but he said 5 years. He’s going to be back in Bristol in a few months so he said he’d do our refreshers then.

He did categorically say that refreshers were recommended and not mandatory though.

thanks for the replies guy’s i thought it was a load of crap but wanted to make sure

Often wondered about this. I have no training, but picked it up by watching and trial and error.

The night manager often asks me to move pallets about and gets me to load myself up when it’s busy, but if the day manager or transport director turns up early I refuse to go anywhere near the forks as I know they will give me a rollocking.

At the depots I deliver to they expect me to unload (during my tacho break). Perhaps I should tell them to do it themselves and be the ‘tea ■■■■■’ for 45 minutes :laughing:

Squiddy:
Often wondered about this. I have no training, but picked it up by watching and trial and error.

The night manager often asks me to move pallets about and gets me to load myself up when it’s busy, but if the day manager or transport director turns up early I refuse to go anywhere near the forks as I know they will give me a rollocking.

At the depots I deliver to they expect me to unload (during my tacho break). Perhaps I should tell them to do it themselves and be the ‘tea ■■■■■’ for 45 minutes :laughing:

I’m a bit like you but im quite young and when im with my dad he lets me drive the forks but only when its quiet (as in people-wise) he has taught me everything that i would need on that sort of work and im getting better with time so im alot more confident now :smiley: