Forgot to put tacho on break over night

Simple as that really.

What’s the procedure?

3 years since I was driving but I did it a couple of times. Manual printout X2 and write on back what happened. Watch you take your breaks correctly today and overnight it will sort itself out. You’ll have an infringement on card but don’t worry.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

In terms of the DVSA, a printout with an explanation will suffice and they will know exactly what you did straight away and probably laugh. Despite eroneous messages on the tachograph, you can actually drive as if you did take your daily rest.

Dealing with the office and trying to explain what happened and them dealing with it sensibly is a whole different kettle of fish. The analysis software will be throwing a wobbly, and the long and short of it is that you may have to sign some pieces of paper.

I do know that mistakes with manual entries can be fixed on the analysis software, but incorrect modes with the card in can’t.

On the few occasions I overnight, I personally elect to eject. If you are in the pub, or whatever, away from the truck, if the worst happens and the truck gets stolen or set on fire, at least you have your digicard and that is one less hassle to deal with.

always take your card out.

I probably do it once a month or two, I drive the same truck daily and only take my card out for download or when it’s in for service.

My hours are usually fairly regular and most days there is not a long time after stopping driving to card going on rest. Timesheets and diary entries tally with tacho on days I get it right Sonneveld had any problems

If you pull in to a lay-by and didn’t realise you had blocked a farmers gate then at 3 am there’s a bang on the door and an angry farmer is stood there demanding to move the lorry, so he can get his machine or tractor in the field ,with the card out the daily rest is not messed up.

Bone Shaker:
If you pull in to a lay-by and didn’t realise you had blocked a farmers gate then at 3 am there’s a bang on the door and an angry farmer is stood there demanding to move the lorry, so he can get his machine or tractor in the field ,with the card out the daily rest is not messed up.

I’m not moving, the farmer can wait, I would only be causing an obstruction if I prevented him from leaving the field to gain access to the public highway, if he is on the public highway and wants to get into his field he can wait until I have finished my rest. He probably built the access gate after the layby had been constructed anyway.

Thanks for replies. Tacho was all sorts of messed up the day after. On the Sunday it thought I’d done an extra reduced rest and a 15h shift so it was saying all my time was gone. Have done some detailed scribblings of my whole week.

I stopped taking the card out as I thought if I have to remember to take it out I can remember to put it on break. Maybe I’ll go back to taking it out…

Bone Shaker:

If you drive for less than a minute, and put it back on break in less than a minute, then your rest should not be broken.