Foreign Trucks

BondiTram:
Little Englanders rule OK. The way to get a better deal in the EU is not to take your UKIP ball and go home in a huff, but to get fully involved and take part. And that means the Euro. It works for us. If anyone thinks they are going to be better off outside the club than the members inside they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Salut, David.

I couldn’t agree more David, Britain would be far worse off outside the EU than in it. What Britain needs to do is get more involved and embrace it fully rather than messing about on the sidelines and the first step would be to take the EURO. As far as I’m concerned the more power that gets taken out of the hands of that shower in Westminster, I don’t just mean the current lot either, the better.

And that means the Euro. It works for us. If anyone thinks they are going to be better off outside the club than the members inside they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

You are probably the only person in France who believes that David, the bit about it works for us I mean. The members who took the Euro are regretting it, The countries who were worse off like Portugal and Greece accepted it because it made things better for them, but the more affluent countries namely France, Germany & Holland paid for it in loss of Manufacturing, Jobs and Healthcare services.
Little England can still deal with all the other countries in a strong currency. like sterling. The only reason people will vote for joining Europe is to make it easier when they go to Benidorm to drink warm English beer.

On the other point:

Surely a system whereby foreign hauliers were taxed on entry and exit relevant to the mileage they had travelled when on our roads would not be too difficult to implement in 2004

This was on the radio today saying the technology was too expensive to set something up to record the journeys of foreign registered trucks.

How much does it cost to hire a dozen portacabins and put a group 4 security man in one at each port. If you charge a tenner a day its not difficult. when they return they pay the difference between the entry and exit dates.

Vote to join and you`ill get loads of dosh,who is going to say no maybe the place the dosh is coming from,ie UK, what 25 menbers of the EU 3 pay in and the rest take now that sounds a good deal.

all this digging at the non-european drivers is not cricket why not blame the uk companies that are sourcing there goods from non-eu countries then shipping it in on non eu trucks to save even more money■■?..rh didnt your old company employ non eu drivers and had non eu regesterd trucks??..none of this is the drivers fault,its all down to the bosses,if our rdc and manufactures didnt buy of these countrys there trucks wouldnt be over here !!!.. and why worry about hi vis gear and steel toe caps ? much more comfy to drive in clogs

Coffeeholic:
Britain would be far worse off outside the EU than in it.

Neil, do you have any facts to back that statement up? There is little argument from any quarter that we pay a great deal in more than we recieve back, and with the inclusion of the new member states that may well even increase.
How can it be that we are better off in it, when it states on the ukip website that currently “membership” costs us around £25 million a day?

Mal:

Coffeeholic:

Neil, do you have any facts to back that statement up? There is little argument from any quarter that we pay a great deal in more than we recieve back, and with the inclusion of the new member states that may well even increase.
How can it be that we are better off in it, when it states on the ukip website that currently “membership” costs us around £25 million a day?

perhaps we should be glad that we arnt in germany!,they pump the most into the eu !!

Maybe they do Oddz, I havent studied what the others pay. I dont want us to pump anything into it, theres a lot better causes right here, considering it is actually our money, the govt aint got zip, but they sure like to give plenty away!!

oddz, rh use estonian drivers in there own estonian trucks. i`ve said numerous times i have nothing against them personally-there making a living the same as i try to, and most if not all of them have far greater knowledge of europe and asia than i ever will. if i wasnt clear i apologise, i think its the governments fault for letting companies do it, were very good at legislation in little england(still the best country in the world!) give us a fair playing field, not one which is angled towards much cheaper foreign hauliers. rgds jon

JONBOY@RH:
oddz, rh use estonian drivers in there own estonian trucks. i`ve said numerous times i have nothing against them personally-there making a living the same as i try to, and most if not all of them have far greater knowledge of europe and asia than i ever will. if i wasnt clear i apologise, i think its the governments fault for letting companies do it, were very good at legislation in little england(still the best country in the world!) give us a fair playing field, not one which is angled towards much cheaper foreign hauliers. rgds jon

jon,it wasnt a dig at you personely just a fact that its down to the companys that buy the mateials/goods and bring them in,as far as im concerned they dont give a monkeys about who does it as long as its the cheapest,and after all the drivers only doing his job as best as he can,hes not in the position to refuse to go to the uk as a truck driver its his job,roads cross borders so theres no barriers,if the paper work is good you are free to travel !!..i used your ex company as a comparisom,wily bets even employs dutch drivers as well as spanish,

full agreement there oddz. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

JONBOY@RH:
full agreement there oddz. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

i was talking to a few of your drivers(well rh)on the train little peed of to say the least

i`m surprised they got that far! calais changeovers? great job in its day, time to move on though.

JONBOY@RH:
i`m surprised they got that far! calais changeovers? great job in its day, time to move on though.

it was a while ago,but yes i think he was doing change overs on the beach

Another new Eastern European company to look out for is the Slovakian ‘Steel Trans’ from Kosice. I’ve seen a hell of alot in England in the past month or so and lots this week in Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany heading in the direction of England. Funnily enough Willi Betz trucks seemed abit scarce this week, strange but true.

Betz,

I too have to get my Herpa models from Germany, you can get some good deals on Ebay, however your stung on the postage!

robinhood_1984:
Another new Eastern European company to look out for is the Slovakian ‘Steel Trans’ from Kosice. I’ve seen a hell of alot in England in the past month or so and lots this week in Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany heading in the direction of England. Funnily enough Willi Betz trucks seemed abit scarce this week, strange but true.

Betz,

I too have to get my Herpa models from Germany, you can get some good deals on Ebay, however your stung on the postage!

isnt steel trans owned by corus? and as such are cheaper to export our products??

Mal:

Coffeeholic:

Neil, do you have any facts to back that statement up?

That is just my opinion based on everything I have read, listened to or watched Mal. You’re against it I’m not, that’s what keeps the world turning. :smiley:

On the subject of the UKIP, I couldn’t vote for them as I feel they are an extremist, short sighted, one track party and somewhat racist. They are dead against the EU but none the less want to become MEPs and take the salary etc, how does that work?

Oddsodz,

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re owned or partly owned by Corus. As it so happens I saw three of them in Barton (upon Humber) market place at around 6pm this evening parked up with hazards flashing, obviously lost. I’d have thought they were bound for Kimberly Clarks. I was going to help them but there was nowhere to park up in my van.

I was talking to a Stobart driver in Luxembourg this week and he reckons that Stobart have or are in the process of losing atleast 50% of their continental work since May 1st. In principle I’m all for a more united Europe but not when its at the expense of our drivers and in favour of theirs. If only we lived in an ideal world where there was a set rate for transporting goods so British, German or Estonian truck could all work side by side instead of what we’ve got now. I can dream cant I…

i drove from lowestoft to holt last sunday and saw 6 poles parked up and 3 lithunains spelling parked up,im with mal on this one how much have the irish got out of the eu a lot of money

robinhood_1984:
Oddsodz,

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re owned or partly owned by Corus. As it so happens I saw three of them in Barton (upon Humber) market place at around 6pm this evening parked up with hazards flashing, obviously lost. I’d have thought they were bound for Kimberly Clarks. I was going to help them but there was nowhere to park up in my van.

I was talking to a Stobart driver in Luxembourg this week and he reckons that Stobart have or are in the process of losing atleast 50% of their continental work since May 1st. In principle I’m all for a more united Europe but not when its at the expense of our drivers and in favour of theirs. If only we lived in an ideal world where there was a set rate for transporting goods so British, German or Estonian truck could all work side by side instead of what we’ve got now. I can dream cant I…

thats true,the naffi contract is up for renewal and as we all no there aint many naffis left in germany,if you go to stobbies at wakefield you will see most of there 4 mtre trailers with VOR on them…and since there sell out they have undercut even prestons to get work,so is stobart now paying mop and bucket ■■

norfolk-liner:
i drove from lowestoft to holt last sunday and saw 6 poles parked up and 3 lithunains spelling parked up,im with mal on this one how much have the irish got out of the eu a lot of money

The trucks would still be here even if we left the EU as they were coming over before these countries joined the EU under agreements that let us use their roads and them use ours and because of the cheap labour rates those are the countries that make the stuff we import. And being in the EU doesn’t mean we can’t charge foreign truck for using our roads, but the government seem to have problems getting their head round a simple solution used by other countries or they have another agenda or they are under pressure from UK companies not to introduce it so they can use cheap foreign trucks to transport their goods.
With a growing economy low unemployment and an ageing population we would still need migrant labour to fill gaps in the workforce. This would happen in or out of the EU; even the US has a large immigrant workforce. However when the 10 new countries joined, existing EU countries were allowed to maintain restrictions on the entry until 2007. Almost all the EU countries did this, except the UK and Ireland.
There would no doubt be some advantages leaving especially as we are a net contributor, but there could be some disadvantages in loss of inward investment. The EU in the big market in the world and when a company out of the area wants a EU HQ, they look at the UK for many reasons, language, tax regime, etc, but if we weren’t in the EU they might feel it would be better to look at other countries in the EU zone.
I would rather stay in the EU and try and change the system of unaccountable commissioners, and subsidies, and also break the ■■■■■■■■■■ of France and Germany.