Foreign Trucks

I think its about time he whole of the EU adopted the UK or Spanish way of displaying vehicle and/or trailer registrations. The European way of trailers having their own registration needs to be changed. How many times do you see a Belgian or Dutch trailer only to see it being pulled by a Romanian unit ? All trucks should be showing the unit registration to the rear with the country of registration now and if applicable, the trailer registration with the trailers home country. The number of Romanians pulling UK trailers and then using a yellow numberplate made up to resemble English plates is astounding. I know Police and VOSA aint stupid but to me that Mkes them look like theyve got something more to hide !!

Having a different reg on your trailer is handy for speed cameras :wink:
I drove a Dutch regd truck, 2 different plates,I also used to drive a Belgian registered truck with 3 different plates, unit, trailer, and kooiap/moffit on the back. I got pulled at Beattock weighbridge once, this young arsey VOSA kid said that it was illegal, I told him to ring the Belgian government in Brussels and tell them that he thought that they were in the wrong, the older guy told him to shut up and sent me on my way :smiley:

i worked for a welsh guy,with a bulgarian reg company ,he had an address in eire with the truck on bulgarian plates…never an o licence or tax disc on the window .havent a clue how he did it,but after a while and passing on his number it was always out of the weighbridge with a we will be making enquires into this with our colleagues in ireland etc on the basis of knowing and proving being two different things…worked for him for nearly a year and still never heard a thing,as far as i know,hes still plugging away.who dares wins?

Kerbdog:
The number of Romanians pulling UK trailers and then using a yellow numberplate made up to resemble English plates is astounding. I know Police and VOSA aint stupid but to me that Mkes them look like theyve got something more to hide !!

They’re not trying to resemble English plates, they’ve got their own registration made up in this country but obviously it’s done on English plates and type font so looks weird. They’ve obviously had hassle so had one made up. doubt it’s still legal but until the next time they’re stopped

Trailers over here have their own plates. Certainly makes it harder to track you down if the number of the prime mover can’t be seen.

Kerbdog:
I think its about time he whole of the EU adopted the UK or Spanish way of displaying vehicle and/or trailer registrations. The European way of trailers having their own registration needs to be changed. How many times do you see a Belgian or Dutch trailer only to see it being pulled by a Romanian unit ? All trucks should be showing the unit registration to the rear with the country of registration now and if applicable, the trailer registration with the trailers home country. The number of Romanians pulling UK trailers and then using a yellow numberplate made up to resemble English plates is astounding. I know Police and VOSA aint stupid but to me that Mkes them look like theyve got something more to hide !!

Why does it need to be changed? Pretty everything being pulled in europe is being pulled by a polish/romanian/bulgarian/czech unit and pulling a western trailer. Edmons group/walter koops formerly running dutch units with dutch trailers. Edmons now running czech units towing dutch trailers and koops with polish units and dutch plates. I dont see what it will achieve.

The Berger factory is about 25 miles from my house, currently parked outside are about 50 brand new trailers with IRL plates. They probably havent and probably will never visit the Irl.

There just basically two different units. The actual tractor unit with its own reg, vin number, weights etc etc etc. And the actualy trailer with its own reg, vin number, weights etc etc etc.

I personally cannot understand why our trailer’s don’t have there own reg after all they have to have a mot cert and they have an id so having it’s own reg would save a fortune how many time’s have you forgotten to take the plate off or it’s fallen off