Foreign HGV maintenance?

That is not neglect that’s accident damage, that brake chamber has had a fair old clout, it even looks like one of the studs may be bent. That type with the extenions are quite a bit more expensive than other types. I reckon the driver has done all he can to make the thing as safe as possible given the probable difficulty of sourcing the part, possibly he rang Volvo to no avail. I don’t see him having 80 tons of brake force however with that one missing, more like mid to late 20s with it only achieving somthing in the region of 30 to 35 t with all six axles. Unfortunately the ministry men are governed by the rule book and there is no question about it being ’ little or no effort’ from that brake. It makes good publicity for them but I wonder if there wasn’t perhaps a sneaking feeling of admiration for the driver.

cav551:
That is not neglect that’s accident damage, that brake chamber has had a fair old clout, it even looks like one of the studs may be bent. That type with the extenions are quite a bit more expensive than other types. I reckon the driver has done all he can to make the thing as safe as possible given the probable difficulty of sourcing the part, possibly he rang Volvo to no avail. I don’t see him having 80 tons of brake force however with that one missing, more like mid to late 20s with it only achieving somthing in the region of 30 to 35 t with all six axles. Unfortunately the ministry men are governed by the rule book and there is no question about it being ’ little or no effort’ from that brake. It makes good publicity for them but I wonder if there wasn’t perhaps a sneaking feeling of admiration for the driver.

It’s a trailer chamber unless he was grossed out it would have been safe to limp to base.

In typical DVSA jobsworth fashion they often have defected stuff wreckered away for ‘road safety’ with less braked wheels on the road than it started with. Having said that I understand why they can’t be seen to allow a vehicle in that condition to proceed but I don’t agree with the need for the ‘think of the kittens saved’ social media posts.

Agreed, it’s all about look at us aren’t we clever little heroes? Instead of: We had to prohibit this very smart vehicle for a few hours from going any further because of this (Picture). Meanwhile we assisted the driver in finding the necessary parts. Once located they were delivered on site, the driver fitted them and once inspected by our examiners he was allowed to carry on with his journey. (Pictures of DVSA man on mobile phone, motor factor’s van being unloaded and of smiling driver and DVSA man enjoying fish and chips and cup of tea in back of DVSA minibus).

Seems like DVSA are damned if they do or damned if they don’t

I remember the day when we carried a couple of spare diaphragms under the bunk!

At risk of sounding like Geoffrey, here is the information they give out in the US of A.

I suppose that chaining a damaged axle up (minus wheel etc) to drive back to base would be frowned upon nowadays as well? :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:
I suppose that chaining a damaged axle up (minus wheel etc) to drive back to base would be frowned upon nowadays as well? :unamused:

Pete.

If remaining axles aren’t overloaded, that’s safer than having an unbraked wheel on the road, I’d say

dieseldog999:
proper professional hands on driver.

Bet he’s not on a professional wage though.

I do remember one place I applied for a job after passing class 2 who mentioned they like their drivers to be able to do maintainance rather than call out mechanic (ie: they were penny pinching cowboys).

Ok, so changing tyres and crap on the M1 for £8.50 / hour. Err, I don’t think so!

Pay and insurance liability are the main reasons I won’t touch anything more than bulbs (looks sternly at DAF) and similar. Oh and lack of any mechanical knowledge doesn’t help.

Yes I’m a steering wheel attendant, yes I do tell the office to get stuffed and no I won’t sleep on a wooden board in a DAF for £11 / hour. :slight_smile:

As for this driver - it works until you have an accident, then regardless of real blame, you’re at the hands of the legal people…not good.

I had a chamber fail when I was coming out of Stuttgart, got flagged down by a 7.5t driver, pulled over and saw that the middle axles brake was binding. Not enough air pressure to release the brake. Limped it to the nearest rest area then did as I was told by the office. Wound the brake off manually then cut and ■■■■■■■ the lines. Didn’t even notice a difference in braking power even though I was loaded at 38ton.

Tude:
The traffic reports…“Having a tyre changed, so long tailbacks” Will in the next 5 years include “Having a bulb changed, so long tailbacks”…Come back and tell me I was wrong. :laughing:

Hilarious but true I reckon.