Foreign driver's who speak no english!

Spardo,zenos as you put it unlike me and you are still in the UK and see thing now as they are now not has they were the UK when you and I left ,the UK is over run with eastern european trucks,re I was parked up in dunquerke the week before last and the place was full of eastern european trucks coming and going from the UK.
For sure the french will welcome you with open arms because being a brit you will work harder than a french driver for the same money,all I got told at first was to slow down,no wonder they get paid crap.

:question:
I started working in August 2002 in Gloucestershire for £")^>&)?Week before Tax :exclamation: Mo to Fr,12hour/Day :exclamation:
I had already Experiance in driving of artics since 1989,but to drive a English Truck on english Road is very hard to learn :exclamation:

My original post ( go back to page 1 and read it ) was about a …yes you have read it.

PUBLIC SERVICE VEHICLES ! ( With non English speaking drivers )

Health and Safety ?

The last couple of posts have mentioned ’ zenophobes’.

The meaning for this is 'Xenophobia ’

The definition of this word is as follows ; 'Strong dislike or distrust of foreigners ’ .

There was no intention of this on my original post.

Any comments about non English speaking drivers ■■

Before you know it, they will be driving the following;

1, Fire Appliances
2, Police Cars
3, Ambulances

Makes you think ! …or does it ?

Cheers,

Niall.

froggy:
For sure the french will welcome you with open arms because being a brit you will work harder than a french driver for the same money,all I got told at first was to slow down,no wonder they get paid crap.

Froggy,

Nobody told me to slow down, more like the other way round, but they obviously were pleased with my overall performance and knowledge (new motor after 2 months, attempts to resist my retirement etc), but I will agree about the money though. Being on the National Minimum Wage paid me about €16-€20K pa. Couldn’t have afforded it if I hadn’t got rid of all the debts, mortgage and kids.

Niall,

Sorry but yes I know that your original complaint was re coach drivers but with the experience of most of us on here being primarily with truck driving I don’t think it is wandering too far off the point to widen the debate to this area. It is called ‘Trucknet’ after all and as safety was your main plank I think it is just as relevant whatever the cargo.
I stand corrected on the Z v X issue, I must have been having a few zzzzz s myself at the time, but the fact remains many of the comments made here are prompted by ill informed distrust of foreigners. My French was not good when I started working here but I met not one instance of anyone resenting it and every effort made to help and allow for it. And this in a nation supposedly renowned for chauvenism and with an ex-pat Brit (never mind the other nationalities) population estimated at 10% in the south west.

Salut, David.

naw, we’re truckies :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Niall:
My original post ( go back to page 1 and read it ) was about a …yes you have read it.

PUBLIC SERVICE VEHICLES ! ( With non English speaking drivers )

Health and Safety ?

The last couple of posts have mentioned ’ zenophobes’.

The meaning for this is 'Xenophobia ’

The definition of this word is as follows ; 'Strong dislike or distrust of foreigners ’ .

There was no intention of this on my original post.

Any comments about non English speaking drivers ■■

Before you know it, they will be driving the following;

1, Fire Appliances
2, Police Cars
3, Ambulances

Cheers,

Niall.

:arrow_right: :slight_smile: And,that were better for all,as they would make the Way free whit Bluelight :exclamation:

If I were to move to a foreign country (again…) I’d expect to have to learn the local lingo before I got any kind of a job. The same should be the case with anyone else.

Spardo:

krzysztof:
[ Hi(czesc) :laughing: I’ve taken a Polish HGV exam 2 years ago.I was talking with one british driver about exams here and there in Poland.He said that HGV exam look similary.Year ago I’ve exchange Polish driving licence into British one.DVLA chacked up my licence and gave me British class 1 licence.So,if DVLA respect my Polish driving licence everything is ok.I made licence in Poland for about 500 £. chris

Well said (and written) Chris, but I doubt it will satisfy some of the zenophobes on here. Just as a little test for them (the zenos), are you doing the job for half the pay? Or can’t you find one?

Not being nosy, just trying to put things in perspective.

Salut, David.

Hi David.I fixed up new job few weeks ago.From the beginning earn 25K pa and I’m happy with.Just if someone earns 50K pa its mean that I’m doing job for half the pay :wink: Chris(I don’t knew how looks like average for class 1 drivers)

Here is the story of my daughters journey home from work on Saturday 23/4/05.
The bus company and the route number are not mentioned, but if any-one wishes to contact them to verify the story, p.m. me.

Here is the story.

Hi everyone!

I got on the bus on Saturday and not only was there one Polish driver, but two of his Polish-speaking friends were accompanying him on his route. I got onto the bus and as it was a late-night journey there were no other passengers. I was slightly unnerved by this but as it is the only bus that I could get, I sat down and tried to relax.

As the bus sped around a sharp corner, there was a loud crash and the bus jerked to a halt. I thought that we had crashed but looked up to realise that a brick had been thrown at the window next to which I was sitting.

The window had shattered and police, who were on their way to another job stopped and tried to explain to the driver(s) that they must ring the police for another officer to be sent out.

The Polish men could not understand what the police were saying and as soon as the police had gone, they simply drove on.

I was very shaken at my experience, and I was even more scared when these men were trying to communicate to me in their native language. There was a lot of hand gestures and frustration before I realised that they wished for me to sit at the front of the bus.

One of the men kicked the rest of the window through, and they continued on their route with a broken window and a scared passenger with whom they could not communicate.

I have always disagreed with my dad when he speaks about the problems of having foreign people who speak littke or no English doing jobs in this country, but this experience has made me realise how important it is to have English-speaking people to do jobs that involve communication and health and safety whilst having other people in their care.

Sam ■■

If anybody wants to verify this story, p.m. my dad and the destination, the bus company and the times will be supplied.

Sam Hi, I hope you have reported the incident to both the Bus company and the Police, if not may I strongly suggest you do.

It does illustrate the to me a couple of problems, the language barrier can be overcome but if they did speak at least some english they could have reassured you instead of making things more frustrated by all the gibbering and hand gestures, which in itself can be intimidating.

The second is the complete disregard of the advice of the police that stopped in not reporting the incident immediately and not ensuring the safety of the passengers or the vehicle from further attack.

Also in countries like Poland there is a deep ingrained suspicion of what is an often corrupt police force and a disregard for the rule of law, I also would ask did they not report it because questions may be asked as to how they are here working in the first place and do they have the necessary visa’s, permits, etc.

I hope you are ok after the ordeal and not too shaken up, take care.

Thank you for your concern CM.

I am fine now, despite my ordeal and the language barrier is gradually being broken. Just the other night, the Polish driver greeted me with a ‘thank-you’ as I showed my travel pass and as I thanked him when getting off the bus, he said ‘please’.

Strange, but at least they are polite!

Sam ■■

p.s. I saw a truck with ‘BY’ on the back today, where is this truck from?

p.p.s. my dad reckons I ought to get my own truck-net account rather than pinching all of his friends! awww bless!

Niall:

Belarus.

The EU is more at risk of collapse this year than at any time in its history. France and Germany ignored the all important stability and Growth pact, then just changed the rules to comply with their deficits rather than attempt to comply, Italy has ‘real’ inflation far in excess of her other eurozone members and when you have the same currency but different money policy this is a problem.
The constitutional treaty due for public ratification this month in France, is according to at least the last 12 successive poles going to be rejected, Ireland will probably vote no, as will Denmark and England will almost certainly vote no but we dont get the chancew til next year. In 12 months there may well be no EU, or more likely a different version possibly without som,e of the main players.
This aside I think within 10 years globalisation will be such that labour will be able to freely migrate so that we will have workers from all over the world.

julian:
Ireland will probably vote no, as will Denmark and England will almost certainly vote no.

And how will Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland vote? :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp:

Who cares they get more money per head than the english anyway,sorry not the welsh,if the english came out of the EU do they think that they will still get EU money over the new small but money grabing states :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

You missed the point froggy, it’s the UK that is in the EU, not just England, so the vote will be a UK vote not an English one.

Niall:

Brian Yeardleys! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

…sorry. :blush:

ianyng:

Niall:

Brian Yeardleys! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

…sorry. :blush:

:unamused:

As a few people have been posting about Polish Driver’s, how about this;

On the front page of my local rag, there is a story about a Polish Bus driver who hit a parked van while he had passengers on board.
When he hit the van, it overturned and smashed into a garden wall ( obviously not a low speed impact ! )

The driver did not speak a word of English, or could not read or write English.
He was employed by an Agency.
The magistrates wanted to disqualify him, as witnesses said he had plenty of room to pass the parked van.
His Solicitor said that his driving experience, (5 yrs in Poland ) and not his lack of the English language was his defence.

My worry is this ;
1, What if there had been a medical emergency on the bus ?
2, What if the driver had to call the Emergency Services ?
3,As a driver of a P.S.V. in England, should the driver not speak English ?

I will not post the Newspaper’s name on this site, but if the Moderators allow it, I will.

Niall.

There are millions of people who live there lives and cause wars because of a Polish bloke who doesnt speak English.

Mind you since his throat operation he doesnt speak anything