Ford Transcontinental Reg: TJL562S

The first switch in PNH 2 R was not Fords idea, in fact it was a secret. Detroit wanted to experiment by switcing the engine and gear box, the truck was kept away from Fords for some time and even when taking trailers out of Daventry we were told not to let anyone snoop too close. The second switch was Fords idea.

Ade1970:
Flippin 'eck Mr B. As soon as I started to read the thread I thought it must be you… then the Telford / TIP comment put the case beyond any reasonable doubt!!!. How come it has taken so long to get on here but seriously great to see another one of life’s good guys here?.

I have a few shots on my laptop in work of your blue Transcon that was parked up at TIP Nuneaton a few years back that I was going to post. For some reason the flash blurred the number plate out but I’ll load them on if that’s ok with you Kev?. My good friend Richie aka DAFMAN1 from Newport is also on here. I give him your number a few months back to assist him with a breakdown. He told me a funny story that his brother was ringing him constantly for about 30 minutes to see if he had help coming to his stranded vehicle, he could see his number flashing up all the time but he was too engrossed in a “Transcon conversation” with your goodself Kev to have the will power to take his call and update him…

I could kick myself Kev, I never photographed the rusting Transcon wrecker that was parked down the yard at Bruntingthorpe where I still am. I only passed it every day for about 7 years before it vanished. You must have some good pictures to upload also?. Richie puts a few of his on the Transcon threads. Ade.

Great to hear from you Ade, great feedback too… you are very welcome to post the pictures of my Old Transcon, that Truck was sold to fund my Business at the time, sad but at least it went to a really nice guy who I believe has almost got her in show worthy condition. I will have to post my Transcon pictures on another thread, I have some good ones mate.

Keep in touch and give me a bell anytime, we could do with a catch up! (Although, not on a Saturday when West Bromwich Albion are playing!) :smiley:

I think you will see a bit more of me on here from now on! Take care and speak soon.

Pat Hasler:
The first switch in PNH 2 R was not Fords idea, in fact it was a secret. Detroit wanted to experiment by switcing the engine and gear box, the truck was kept away from Fords for some time and even when taking trailers out of Daventry we were told not to let anyone snoop too close. The second switch was Fords idea.

Pat, these posts are really fascinating, some great feedback and it makes you wonder what was going on at the time… The fact that Ford (Europe) may not have know about these Detroit implants make me wonder why?, I mean, its normally discussed between the Manufacturers to see if improvements can be made and if the Engine delivered better Fuel Economy with Weight and Power being taken into consideration too, both ■■■■■■■ and Detroit are well known US Manufacturers, probably somewhere along the line in discussions with Ford (US) to supply Heavy Industries with their Engines?. The Transcon was taking a bit of bad publicity at the time with Haulage businesses in Europe complaining about the Fuel Economy, so who knows if something wasn’t decided at a Higher Level within Ford?. (All very interesting, and who knows what was going on)

I’d have loved to have been a fly on the Boardroom walls in those days, although I’d have probably landed on the Prawn Sandwiches of the Bloke that signed the Paperwork to End the ‘H’ Series!

Kev

Riverstick:
I agree totally with you there Pat…I would have thought the Two Stroke diesel was a backward move compared to the ■■■■■■■■ Any two stroke Detroit I ever drove,I found you had to rev the ■■■■ off it to get it to perform. If you dropped revs on a hill,you were goosed. I always loved the NTC & Big Cam ■■■■■■■ to drive…it always dug in good and hard when the going got tough.

Why were Ford trialling the Detroit in 1982…I thought production was ramping down at that stage? I often wonder if they had continued with the ■■■■■■■ L10 engine as a further option,whilst taking the 14 litre to 400bhp and above,coupled with a few tweaks to the cab,they would have made a good truck even better and more attractive to the big fleets…

Very Good Points made, but this Engine is a beast of a Motor and although its only been drove onto the Low Loader and on the Grounds of our premises, I cannot tell whether its better than the 290 Big Cam etc, but the L10 was also a very good option moving forward, I don’t know what the results are in a ‘Verses’ test.

Likewise the fact that it was done in 1981/82 with a 1978 Mark One Transconti?, I think Production stopped in 1984 (Sandbach) although it probably ties in nicely with the move from Amsterdam? (not sure to be fair, all seems a little hit & miss)

This is causing some great debating and certainly throwing up more Questions than Answers… Love it though, thank you all.

Kev

FREDDIE:
HI I THINK ADANS OF THORNE HAD IT, IT WAS YELLOW AND BLACK THEN
I THINK I HAVE A PHOTO OF IT AT HOME.

Thanks for the Photo’s Freddie… Brilliant!

TJL562S 02.jpg

Being a West Bromwich Albion fan, I doubt a Gold & Black (Wolves colours) livery will be making an apperance!

Great photo’s. Thanks for those.

Pat Hasler:
Great photo’s. Thanks for those.

Totally agree Pat, those last two from Freddie shows the Vehicle in its Recovery guise, I’d love some when it was in Swift and a Tractor Unit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Truck-Photos-Ford-Transcontinental-Swift-Service-/320962866196?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item4abae0ac14

Pic of PHN 2R in swift livery on ebay at the moment from Peter Davis if you are interested,if the link doesnt work its item number 320962866196

vwvanman0:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Truck-Photos-Ford-Transcontinental-Swift-Service-/320962866196?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item4abae0ac14

Pic of PHN 2R in swift livery on ebay at the moment from Peter Davis if you are interested,if the link doesnt work its item number 320962866196

Thanks for that vwvanman , great pic - & thats exactly how 562 was when new before being resprayed in the newer livery ( go faster black/cream stripe down the side ,black grille & silver bumper )around 1980/81

Transcon-Kev:

FREDDIE:
HI I THINK ADANS OF THORNE HAD IT, IT WAS YELLOW AND BLACK THEN
I THINK I HAVE A PHOTO OF IT AT HOME.

Thanks for the Photo’s Freddie… Brilliant!

great pics , any idea of the year they were taken ? Just wondering if thats the original cab , as can’t tell from the pic but there was a small ford oval badge stuck centrally on the matt black header panel ( above the windsreen )has it been painted over ■■

ALSO IF YOU LOOK ON PICTURES OF THE BLACK TRANSCON
LOOKS LIKE MK2 DOOR HANDS AND TRIM UNDER WINDOW
ARE IN BLACK OR JUST PAINTED OVER?

Does anyone know if Translink still run their transcon wreckers ? Could be a good source for info on spares etc

FREDDIE:
ALSO IF YOU LOOK ON PICTURES OF THE BLACK TRANSCON
LOOKS LIKE MK2 DOOR HANDS AND TRIM UNDER WINDOW
ARE IN BLACK OR JUST PAINTED OVER?

Think they’ve been painted over Kev , still got mk1 central trim panels , front panel with F-O-R-D on & i’m sure i can see that ford badge( that i stuck on :wink: )on the top pic painted over

tonyhogi:
Does anyone know if Translink still run their transcon wreckers ? Could be a good source for info on spares etc

ONLY HAS JAR 54N LEFT

FREDDIE:

tonyhogi:

ONLY HAS JAR 54N LEFT

Bit of irony there - JAR 54N used to be Airflow Streamlines wrecker , who was the Ford agent in Northampton that 562 came from…

Here are two of mine…a 4x2 & a 6x4. The blue one is ex Mo Bakers of Southampton.

Lovely Motors Tony, they are crackers, I’d love either one to be fair, the Mk1 is a bit special mate, 6x4 ?! Very Nice indeed…

Transcon-Kev:

Ade1970:
Flippin 'eck Mr B. As soon as I started to read the thread I thought it must be you… then the Telford / TIP comment put the case beyond any reasonable doubt!!!. How come it has taken so long to get on here but seriously great to see another one of life’s good guys here?.

I have a few shots on my laptop in work of your blue Transcon that was parked up at TIP Nuneaton a few years back that I was going to post. For some reason the flash blurred the number plate out but I’ll load them on if that’s ok with you Kev?. My good friend Richie aka DAFMAN1 from Newport is also on here. I give him your number a few months back to assist him with a breakdown. He told me a funny story that his brother was ringing him constantly for about 30 minutes to see if he had help coming to his stranded vehicle, he could see his number flashing up all the time but he was too engrossed in a “Transcon conversation” with your goodself Kev to have the will power to take his call and update him…

I could kick myself Kev, I never photographed the rusting Transcon wrecker that was parked down the yard at Bruntingthorpe where I still am. I only passed it every day for about 7 years before it vanished. You must have some good pictures to upload also?. Richie puts a few of his on the Transcon threads. Ade.

Great to hear from you Ade, great feedback too… you are very welcome to post the pictures of my Old Transcon, that Truck was sold to fund my Business at the time, sad but at least it went to a really nice guy who I believe has almost got her in show worthy condition. I will have to post my Transcon pictures on another thread, I have some good ones mate.

Keep in touch and give me a bell anytime, we could do with a catch up! (Although, not on a Saturday when West Bromwich Albion are playing!) :smiley:

I think you will see a bit more of me on here from now on! Take care and speak soon.

Kev’s Transcon when parked at TIP Nuneaton 5 years ago. Not sure of the reg but I’m sure Kev will advise as the flash just seemed to obscure the plate.