Ford Cargo Detroit Gearbox

Sat in the Pub with wee Jimmy
He drove a 1984 Ford Cargo wagon & drag with a Detroit but can’T remember the box

He reckons an Allison

Running veg Cornwall / Smoke any clues?

whisperingsmith:
He drove a 1984 Ford Cargo wagon & drag with a Detroit but can’T remember the box

He reckons an Allison

Ford Cargo with a Detroit … pished :bulb:

whisperingsmith:

He reckons an Allison

It was most probably fitted with a Deutz air cooled engine
From memory the only British lorry manufacturer to fit Detroits were Bedfords at that time in the 80s

gazsa401:

whisperingsmith:

He reckons an Allison

It was most probably fitted with a Deutz air cooled engine
From memory the only British lorry manufacturer to fit Detroits were Bedfords at that time in the 80s

The only Cargo’s I remember that had Deutz engines was 6 legger concrete mixers, badged 2420’s? My guess a ■■■■■■■ L10 with 9 sp fuller?

I’m sure they had a Detroit in some D-series artic units. I was told one I drove had one, that option might have carried over into the later Cargo range. Robert

EDIT: just found my old notes. They just say ‘V8’ and I remember an American engine being involved, so it was probably a ■■■■■■■ then. I do remember it couldn’t pull the skin of a rice pudding! Robert

cant see ford putting a GM engine in , certainly didn’t ever see any or hear of any, but the V6 deutz went into a fair few rigids and tractor units , didn’t the 32tonne 3220 tractor unit come out a few months before they went to 38 tonne with the L10 3828, and I’m sure they both used fuller boxes - 9 in the 3220 and the twin split in the 3828.

^^^
Agree, I cannot see it having a Detroit from Fords worldwide major competitor ex factory. That doesn’t mean the tale is to be disbelieved however since if it will fit, someone could have done it. I recall an Iveco engine from a 159 being fitted to a Ford D series (or maybe it was a Cargo). I remember having a laugh about the ■■■■ poor installation with Neil Yates, who was asking me how to overcome one of the problems with it, after he had been left with it by the man who fitted it and then walked away, leaving it with no proper rear engine mountings. This was a few years before he started doing recovery.

We had V8 ■■■■■■■ in ours

Some Aussie Cargos were fitted with V8 ■■■■■■■ 903 turbos @ 320 horse.

I’ve just amended my comment above. I think it was a ■■■■■■■ V8, not a Detroit. Robert

The cat 3208 was a common engine in cargos out here in oz , they are often nicknamed the hand grenade lol

As I remember Ford D Series, early ones could have the ■■■■■■■ V8, (Berwick had one), then the ■■■■■■■ V8 was superseded by the Perkins V8 in the D Series. The Ford Cargo replaced the D Series and the top power output engine was the ■■■■■■■ L10 in both artic and rigid drawbar units, with Fuller 9-speed gearbox.

Quinton Hazel at Nuneaton had a wagon and drag Ford Cargo about 85/86 . It was Maggie powered with 9 speed range change as L10 , it ran Nuneaton to Falkirk, dropping a body/trailer at Carlisle on route. It went like the wind . I was told it was a special build.

We had about 10 tractor units and a couple of wagon and drags with maggie engines in them,after about 3 yrs most ended up as local shunt motors because they were a bit underpowered for 32t work.

Thanks Guys

I’ll show him this thread & get his feedback

Looking at my Ford Cargo manuals two Deutz engines were available V6 F6L413F 170PS & V6 F6L413FZ 204PS, so the
170PS would be 1617 & 2417, the 204PS would be 1620, 2420 & 3220. There was a ■■■■■■■ V8 at 175PS and Perkins
V8’s at 174 & 204PS again these would be badged as 1617,2417,1620 & 2420. I always thought that 17 was a ■■■■■■■
or Perkins V8 & the 20 was a Deutz, obviously not that clean cut going on the model badge.

D series with V8 Perkins 540 was 170 bhp and badged as a 1617, 2417 etc. The ■■■■■■■ V8 was 180bhp and badged as 1618, 2418. both were available at the same time up until end of production of D series. Pretty certain they were only available with Fords own 4 over 4 range change.

Broadslide:
D series with V8 Perkins 540 was 170 bhp and badged as a 1617, 2417 etc. The ■■■■■■■ V8 was 180bhp and badged as 1618, 2418. both were available at the same time up until end of production of D series. Pretty certain they were only available with Fords own 4 over 4 range change.

The one I drove with a ■■■■■■■ V8 had Ford’s six-speed 'box. Robert

I have an old Truck magazine from the early eighties that had a roadtest of the first big cargo artic(28 tonnes?)
and that was definitely fitted with the deutz engine.not sure of the box-but I had a drive of a late eighties six wheel cargo and i’m sure it had a nine speed fuller.

The Fuller 9 speed was used with the ■■■■■■■ L10 in the 1724 four wheeler, the 2424 six wheeler &
the 3224 unit.
The older eight speed range change used with the Ford six cylinder & ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ V8’s was
Fords own “oyster” split case box that also came in six speed & four speed versions. The eight
speed was the four speed with the addition of a two speed layshaft and actuator.