Ford cargo 0811 Help

Being new to this lorry stuff and just purchasing a cargo 0811 horsebox 1989 I could really do with some advice and help. I drove this back from where I bought it on sat (approx 50 miles), then a short couple of runs on Sunday, but today the temp gauge is going right up! I took it approx 40 miles today with a break of approx 2 hours in between and by the time I got home it was hot again. Can somebody save a damsel in distress please?

when you say right up, do you mean to the very top of gauge?

Maybe a lack of coolant?

I think the Dover engine had twin thermostats, they weren’t very good

Thanks for your replies, the temp did go right up to the red, then dropped back a couple of lines, then went back up. Is it worth draining the water and starting again or is this a major job? Thanks again, sorry for being such a girl!!!

Yes flushing the cooling system out & start again, It may be the thermostat sticking but perhaps you should check the fan belts tension also, Regards Larry.

Check the matrix is`nt clogged you should be able to see light through it from one side to the other,
when the temp climbs high turn the heater to full heat and the fan switch it to the MAX this will
give a little more cooling but will be a bit warm for you in the cab.
Start with the simple things first and work your way till you find the problem.

Thanks for all your help, I will try all those things then be back on here if I struggle. Thanks again guys x

If I remember correctly when the headlights are on the temp gauge used to go into the red and fuel gauge went straight to empty… Crap Ford electrics :frowning: Nothing mechanically wrong just electrical problems. Hope this helps.

But in case it IS overheating, check for smoke (blue, black or white) coming from the exhaust when you’re driving. If there is no excess smoke, chances are it’s not too expensive to fix. I would seek some fairly cheap expert advice (private commercial repairer rather than main dealer) if I were you.

P.S. I like damsons, whether in distress or not!

I strongly agree about finding a small independent commercial garage, they will be more interested for a start and be more likely to have experience of older vehicles and especially the 0811. I would also ask for their assessment of the vehicle. So many 7.5 tonne horseboxes have Rolls Royce price tags on the strength of the bit on the back that the nag goes in; the bit that actually matters, ie. the lorry underneath, is worth about fourpence ha’penny.

Can you see the road through the floor on the passenger side? The Ford Cargo cab is notorious for extensive rot just about everywhere, but probably most expensively on a luton horsebox around the rear cab mountings, which, if the cab can’t tilt and which is often the case with these conversions, then it will be a body-off job to rectify.

Hopefully for you this will turn out to be one of the small electrical faults which effected the 0811, but certainly don’t rely on it being that.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hi everyone, well when investigated found a rusted jubilee clip that had snapped on the top radiator hose, replaced clip and all seems well at the moment. I will keep you all informed of any further issues, but thanks again for all your help and advice. Kerry x

Just steer clear of Phillips’s over in Nuneaton; they are a bit on the expensive side. . . . if you need parts, try Fleabay first, then either here or the Cargo Club Forum (cargofanclub.proboards.co.uk). Phillips have the bits, but they know the horse box set are not necessarily ‘truck informed’, so charge top dollar. Use them by all means, but only when all other avenues have been exhausted.

Thanks for that. I am going to have to get someone to check it over for me to make sure I haven’t missed anything. The temp gauge now doesn’t seem to hardly move at all now!!! Is this normal? Is there anyone out there in the Newark area who could check her over for me and guide me on the jobs that need doing? It’s about 10 yrs since I’ve had a lorry. Thanks again everyone, Kerry x

It’s a Cargo.
You still don’t have a lorry!!!

Retired Old ■■■■:
It’s a Cargo.
You still don’t have a lorry!!!

I know from the horsey ladies around here that they call them all lorries, even if only based on a Transit. It’s a horsey thing :smiley:
Bernard

Then I hope I’ll be forgiven for referring to the animals inside them as “nags”. :wink:

These always ran cool - its normal, it they get hot then the metal pipes from the header tank at the back of the cab to the radiator at the front of the engine clog up, they need to be removed and power washed then the cooling system flushed with a cleaner. If as you say its running cool now it seems to be sorted, I ran a few of them over the years.