Forced reduced daily rest

Can you be forced to reduce your daily rest from 11 to 9 hours?

The only reason I ask is I`ve just had a phone call from a driver who is stuck in Elgin and he was TOLD to take 9 off and then head for home.

Also,in the past if we get over-nighted,we got paid 15 hours plus £25 night out money but the driver was told that as he only worked for 12,he was only getting paid for 12. I know its not illegal but its just a bit naff,especially if you get away from home unexpectedtly.

In this weather I know you should be prepared for the unexpected but we dont know where were going until we get into work.

Glad I`m off on holiday until Tuesday!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

joemaxi:

The only reason I ask is I`ve just had a phone call from a driver who is stuck in Elgin and he was TOLD to take 9 off and then head for home.

If the driver has a reduced rest available the company can ask him to use it without breaking any rules. Whether he wants to or not is up to him and how much he values/needs/wants his job. He can say he is too tired and any company would be daft to insist he drives but do that too often and they may decide he is not suitable for the job.

Thanks Neil!

joemaxi:

Also,in the past if we get over-nighted,we got paid 15 hours plus £25 night out money but the driver was told that as he only worked for 12,he was only getting paid for 12. I know its not illegal but its just a bit naff,especially if you get away from home unexpectedtly.

In this weather I know you should be prepared for the unexpected but we dont know where were going until we get into work.

Glad I`m off on holiday until Tuesday!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’m not trying to add fuel to the fire here but try and remember that your companies are finding it very hard at the moment as well, as they will still only be getting paid the same for a job that normally takes two hours but is now taking far longer making it harder to give you nice little perks like your 15 hours of pay.

Just a thought, not trying to annoy anyone, its just things are hard from everyone, lets hope the company thank you for it :laughing: