Forced night out, ok or not?

Hi, i work as a tramper, i do a set amount of nights out per week and go home tuesday nights, every week. however, during the jubilee week tuesday was a bank holiday for some, and not for others (strange company policy, i was told i had to work, others had to have the day off), however, towards the end of the day i realised i would not be able to do my deliveries and then drive back to base due to me being loaded late and being held up at one of my deliveries. i called the office at 1630 to notify them that it wasnt looking good for me to finish at 1830 as the 15hr rule would then be exceeded. i was quite happy for them to arrange to pick me up etc as i was just looking forward to a nice night in my own bed after eating some cooked food. i eventually managed to get hold of someone by calling their mobile because they had all gone home early! when i told them i was going to run out of hours they then said i would have to do a night out, i refused, i said i had not planned for an extra night out, i did not have extra clean clothes, any extra food, or any amount of money on me as i budget for my usual week, plus, the industrial estate i would be stopping in has nowhere near by that i could buy any food from even if i DID have the cash. after MANY phone calls it was established that i HAD to have a night out, i was NOT allowed to return to base as the freight needed to be delivered, and i was NOT allowed to leave the truck in a layby and get my mrs to take me home. i was not happy with this but was beyond trying to argue at this point, so i agreed, begrudgingly, to have a night out in Bristol, provided my mrs could drive to me, then take me somewhere to eat, and then i would be reimbursed the next day. so, she drives down (from cinderford, NOT local! its 50 miles each way) and takes me to the local mcdonalds and we have some food. I decide that due to me blocking off the opposite side of the road to an entrance to part of the industrial estate (no other places available)that i need to leave the area fairly early to avoid being in other peoples way the next day, so instead of my usual 12pm start on a wednesday (after a night at home) i start off at 0530 and head back to the depot in Gloucester.
now, im still a bit annoyed at having to night out, but i get in and if they want to send me out they can, but obviously not my normal run as that wont be ready until too late, so i make my prescence known to the night manager and then stick my tacho on poa, until 11am when the manager i spoke to the previous day comes in and gets angry that i havent stayed in a random tiny estate until 12pm to start my normal shift and says he then WONT pay me what it cost to have my mrs come to me etc…so i got a bit angry and told him a few home truths etc before i simply walked around him into the admin office and produced a receipt for £20 fuel and £9 food, which i deem to be acceptable.
today he calls me into the office to say £20 is too much! for the inconvenience of 100 miles round trip for my mrs? and no option to go home? and him thinking i would sit in the cab for 18hrs with no pay, toilet facilities,clean clothes? i think not.

so…theres a question or 3 in here somewhere!
1.can i be obliged to take a night out by law if there are other options? (i could have left the truck secure after deliveries, as it would then be empty, and got a lift home with my mrs, OR i could have returned to base before delivering and been inside my 15hrs)

2.can i be forced to sit in an area with no access to toilets,food and clean clothes for 18 hrs unpaid (i do NOT believe the o/n payment of £23.60 compensates me here) on a night out that could have been avoided, just to make the next day easier on the planner?

3.can the manager (i use the term loosely)agree to compensate me for my fuel and food and then decide at a later date he doesnt like the amount it actually cost (£20 for 100 miles through rush hour traffic into and through Gloucester and then into Bristol)and tell me he will deduct it from my wages?

Welcome to the world of transport!

Your first sentence doesn’t match the rest of your post, and if you needed your missus to come out to hold your hand, I doubt it is the right career move. More fool her I think.

Hi, i work as a tramper,

Exactly my sentiment. As any self respecting tramper would say “expect the unexpected!”. Transport can change from one minute to the next and the driver should be prepared for that.

I keep a £50 float in my wagon so I am prepared for pretty much anything (food,parking etc) during my working week. I wouldn’t dream of getting my mrs to drive 50 miles round trip just to take me for a crappy McDonald’s!

Too many drivers nowadays have too high an opinion if themselves and love to have a good moan about every little thing. You weren’t forced to have a night out, you could have gone home with the mrs and probably have lost your job? Would that suit you better??

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?424gp3

always expect the unexpected, its life.

ok, thanks for the sarcasm, this is not a new career move. been doing it some time now, so no need for anyone to hold my hand. maybe some people have missed the recent financial problems around the world but for me, i take enough money and provisions for my CONTRACTED week. and i have been collected before, no problem, not bothered if its legal or not, i just prefer to sleep at home than in the cab, especially when im expecting to. my main bother is the fact i have been told £20 is too much for what i deem acceptable, it WAS arranged that i would be paid for my troubles.
im glad to see you guys like to be walked over in your workplaces, but im not going to be buggered about by someone who changes their mind about whether i can claim for something or not because his job suddenly got a bit more difficult, the amount of times ive got them out of the crap is unbelievable.
this part of my run is a local run tacked on to my tramping stuff, i return to the depot, get loaded with 2 drops to bristol, do them and then go home, i was delayed by late loading at my depot, and then by our other tramper unloading at my first destination after he had been delayed earlier in the day in the same way.the 2 drops are right near each other, but once you are in the first you cant change your mind as its a one way system so i had to wait for him to get unloaded before i pulled in.i was therefore marooned on the industrial estate with no option of going elsewhere to take money out or buy food, as up to the point i got to the first drop i could JUST make it back, maybe be 5 minutes over.

as for the “expect the unexpected” remark, lets put it this way, i could well have taken £50 quid with me in my smug wallet, however, thats not much use when the only available place to stop is a 10 minute drive from anywhere actually open to buy food from is it?what should i do? chew the coins and notes? i also dont find it acceptable to squat at the side of a road with no cover to go to the toilet, but hey, expect the unexpected.

so glad i registered here,thanks for the advice.

Dog on!

I was going to enter into a multi page rage … But a really cant be arsed …

Sounds to me you would be better of being a bus driver

jimboy124:
Sounds to me you would be better of being a bus driver

Nooooooooooooooo lol

His wife drove a round trip of 100 miles just to get a Macdonalds now that’s costly, surely as a tramper you carry some spare easy to do food and a spare bit of cash hidden away somewhere in the cab, or if you think you might park in the middle of nowhere you eat earlier.

Face it you’re in the wrong job fella - go and work for Tesco, sainsburys or Asda…you will not have to go through this again. And before you castigate me like you have others, its free, friendly advice. You stated you are a tramper when you clearly are not. You have no claim whatsoever against your company.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

In reply to the thread - yes, it’s OK.

As mentioned, you asked for advice. I was still awake and have read dozens of posts like yours.

i could well have taken £50 quid with me in my smug wallet, however, thats not much use when the only available place to stop is a 10 minute drive from anywhere actually open to buy food from is it?what should i do? chew the coins and notes?

Well I would have used my mobile phone and searched for a local curry house, pizza shop, chinese restaurant and asked them to deliver a takeaway, it is quite easy and I have done it dozens of times, give them an address and a registration number and you will get fed. Cheaper than driving 100 miles :open_mouth:

If you were that ill prepared the wife could have ordered the pizza for you and had it delivered to your cab.

Even VOSA do not prevent you from eating. That’s sarcasm…

Wheel Nut:
As mentioned, you asked for advice. I was still awake and have read dozens of posts like yours.

i could well have taken £50 quid with me in my smug wallet, however, thats not much use when the only available place to stop is a 10 minute drive from anywhere actually open to buy food from is it?what should i do? chew the coins and notes?

Well I would have used my mobile phone and searched for a local curry house, pizza shop, chinese restaurant and asked them to deliver a takeaway, it is quite easy and I have done it dozens of times, give them an address and a registration number and you will get fed. Cheaper than driving 100 miles :open_mouth:

If you were that ill prepared the wife could have ordered the pizza for you and had it delivered to your cab.

Even VOSA do not prevent you from eating. That’s sarcasm…

Don’t go giving them ideas for an amendment :wink:

big_wig_074:
1.can i be obliged to take a night out by law if there are other options? (i could have left the truck secure after deliveries, as it would then be empty, and got a lift home with my mrs, OR i could have returned to base before delivering and been inside my 15hrs)

2.can i be forced to sit in an area with no access to toilets,food and clean clothes for 18 hrs unpaid (i do NOT believe the o/n payment of £23.60 compensates me here) on a night out that could have been avoided, just to make the next day easier on the planner?

3.can the manager (i use the term loosely)agree to compensate me for my fuel and food and then decide at a later date he doesnt like the amount it actually cost (£20 for 100 miles through rush hour traffic into and through Gloucester and then into Bristol)and tell me he will deduct it from my wages?

1 - The law doesn’t get involved, beyond obviously saying you must park up after your 15 hours etc etc. Whether you have a night away, or get picked up, or abandon some of your day’s work etc is between you and the company.

2 - Again the law doesn’t get involved - there are no laws which demand a minimum level of facilities (otherwise people couldn’t park in laybys). And whilst you have to have the minimum legal break, there’s no reason in law why you can’t take a longer one. Being asked/told to take a longer break is again an issue between you and your manager.

3 - Arguing over the amount is an issue between you and your manager. The only bit I don’t like there is that he says he will deduct it from your wages - I’m sure more experienced people will comment, but I don’t think you can make random wage deductions.

You said you got held up waiting at your first delivery? Did you complete both of them?

Once it was obvious you were going to be stuck why didn’t you tell them you would redeliver the next morning and go and find somewhere decent to park?

If you’re a tramper, surely you have all your kit in the lorry anyway? And that must include food?

I start a new job traming on Monday, never done it before but I find the op’s rant a little bit pathetic.

Surely you are ALWAYS prepared for the worst, ok your a pee’d off as Tuesday is your usual night in your own bed but the word usual means that it’s not set in stone that you will be home on that particular night.

You have a very loving missus by the way, if I get a similar situation I can bet you your life that she wouldn’t do a 100 mile round trip for me to get a McDonalds. Especially as you have said that it was a 10 minute drive to get somewhere to eat, why didn’t you walk you’ve got naff all else to do anyway.

I’d have thought it was standard to have at least a pot noodle or a tin of something in your cab for emergencies or unforeseen circumstances.

Sorry not an iota of sympathy from me, just the way it goes sometimes.

Is the op for real? Man up for god sake, I remember when men drove lorries, you sound like you still need you ■■■ wiped

My sympathies a nite out in bristol on a bank holiday why not just park in services and he’ll receive the bill in post if you have no other means of paying fuel card etc.

bigtruck:
Is the op for real? Man up for god sake, I remember when men drove lorries, you sound like you still need you ■■■ wiped

+1. Quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk