For phone which HGV app: TomTom v CoPilot

I would be interested to hear pros and cons from anyone who has installed the TomTom and CoPilot. I have used CoPilot for car and found it excellent apart from the routing sometimes isn’t so good and only updates twice a year. I have been thinking of using TomTom.

I have both CoPilot on a TomTom 6250 Pro.

I use the TomTom daily and have CoPilot as a backup in case of failure. I prefer the TomTom for no other reason than I am used to them and have had one from when they first came out years ago. That said, infrequently I drive our other trucks which are smaller than the daily drive and it’s a pain in the neck having to alter the weight/size in the settings if I want to use the TomTom as I can only have 1 truck weight/size at a time. CoPilot has multiple options which is an advantage if you are regularly changing vehicle.

Routing wise imv there is no real difference, some days live traffic is quicker with my TomTom, others with CoPilot (I had them on together for a while at one point just to see which performed better)

6250Pro with lifetime live traffic and updates was I think £390 when I bought it and CoPilot is £50 a year so maybe factor that in too.

Both will get you where you are going without much trouble so I guess it’s up to you!

Much appreciate your reply. What i didn’t follow was that you can load CoPilot onto your TomTom 6250 Pro. I didn’t think that was possible - running it off an SD card? At present i think TomTom app is £80 and Co-Pilot is £99.

iPhone or Android?

stu675:
iPhone or Android?

Android

Why not try Road Lords then.
Send them an email help@roadlords.com

Please note that the ROAD LORDS application is currently available in closed beta testing. To install the application, please provide us with the e-mail address you use in your Play Store account. We will add it to the user’s list and send you the access link.

It’s free and good enough for me to rely on for more than the past year.

stu675:

Please note that the ROAD LORDS application is currently available in closed beta testing. To install the application, please provide us with the e-mail address you use in your Play Store account. We will add it to the user’s list and send you the access link.

I’ve tried Road Lords but maybe you haven’t noticed how much data it uses. It is not offline as they claim from what i could deduce.

One completely offline app i have discovered is ‘Magic Earth’. The recent version also includes trucks. What i liked was how simple it is. After entering your route you decide whether to use car or truck. I’ve checked some routes with bridges and seems ok. Only satnav that is completely free [no ads either]. The maps are ‘Openstreet’ map data [updates every month] which i was impressed with when i tried them on my Garmin a few years ago… certainly better than Garmin. Routing i have also been impressed by.

I Invite others to test it out.

jessejazza:

stu675:

I’ve tried Road Lords but maybe you haven’t noticed how much data it uses. It is not offline as they claim from what i could deduce.

I really don’t find that. This is my phone usage for the last full month.

Will have a look at magic earth

Think I might need a lesson on magic earth. It’s not very intuitive. And it doesn’t know where I am!

stu675:

jessejazza:

stu675:

I really don’t find that. This is my phone usage for the last full month.

Will have a look at magic earth

You may be right - i’ll have a look at RoadLords again. I last tried it about 18 month ago. I use a smartphone without a SIM card as a satnav. It uses some data iirc.

stu675:
Think I might need a lesson on magic earth. It’s not very intuitive. And it doesn’t know where I am!

I think you haven’t touched the ‘crosshair’ bottom left of screen.

jessejazza:

stu675:

I think you haven’t touched the ‘crosshair’ bottom left of screen.

Assuming you have loaded the maps ok. I used England, Scotland, Wales. Use United Kingdom and you will also get Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey, N.Ireland. Saves on space. It is a little slow installing maps.

Go to the ‘search’ window at the top and enter a postcode [or town/village] or select address and enter City, street, house number.

Select from the bottom of the screen window - car or truck. It’ll say calculating and then press ‘start’ top right corner of screen and it will show your position [start of journey]. With eta, journey time and miles at the bottom of the screen. In Settings - Navigation - autostart [select ‘Off’ to stop it starting automatically].