For info - Insurance and Speed Aware Course

Got my insurance renewal through yesterday and on summary it asked if there are any changes as they do.

This year it asks if any awareness course attended, last years didn’t.

Now on the course I remember the question was specifically asked about informing insurance that you’ve attended one and they said no need as no points or fine was issued so at the time I didn’t bother.

As it was on renewal form I thought I’d best tell them and had an interesting conversation over it

This maybe specific to my insurance co ( Bell/Admiral ) but they said that if I hadn’t declared it and they found out in an event of a claim then my insurance would be void and , this is the important part for me , it would also be classed as cancelled and any future insurance requests would show up that I had an insurance declined/refused which according to them would mean I’d be virtually uninsurable!!

As it was declaring it made no difference to cost of my insurance so glad I did as didn’t want problems further on any renewals or change of insurers

So for those who’ve attended a driver course just be aware it may just cause insurance problems if your insurers ask about one and you don’t tell them !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes my wife did the course and we were under the impression we didn’t have to declare it. I think the insurance companies are getting round it by your still allowed to say no you’ve had no motoring convictions which is where you would declare a speeding offence otherwise, they are allowed to ask you separately if you’ve done a course and if you aren’t honest they could find out in the event of a claim and void your insurance.

Always answer the questions truthfully and don’t volunteer anymore or any less that they are asking, most times premiums will remain the same, but parking on a drive or on the street can be easily checked on Zoopla or Google Maps

dcgpx:
it would also be classed as cancelled and any future insurance requests would show up that I had an insurance declined/refused which according to them would mean I’d be virtually uninsurable!!

This is uter bull, im always getting insurance cancelled, due to not paying the bill and moving onto the next company I’ve found cheaper. Never an Issue, done it 3 times alone this year.

direct line cancelled me about 10 years ago for changing my car every few weeks.
never heard a word about it from numerous insurers since. tell them nothing they dont specifically ask for.

I did a course a few weeks ago and have heard this mentioned a few times since. Not sure if its getting amore common question or jyst that im more aware of it

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

EddieMD:
I did a course a few weeks ago and have heard this mentioned a few times since. Not sure if its getting amore common question or jyst that im more aware of it

Its becoming more common as more people are doing them.

As said if they ask tell them, but don’t volunteer it

kcrussell25:

EddieMD:

Its becoming more common as more people are doing them.

As said if they ask tell them, but don’t volunteer it

Never contacted them and they haven’t me

is it still local driving instructors running the speed awareness courses ?

tommymanc:

dcgpx:
it would also be classed as cancelled and any future insurance requests would show up that I had an insurance declined/refused which according to them would mean I’d be virtually uninsurable!!

This is uter bull, im always getting insurance cancelled, due to not paying the bill and moving onto the next company I’ve found cheaper. Never an Issue, done it 3 times alone this year.

No it’s not. Your scenario is having it cancelled due to no payment. I’m on about them cancelling it because of non disclosure - big difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corij:
is it still local driving instructors running the speed awareness courses ?

It was for mine…and to be honest i went thinking what a waste of time. I knew all the stuff they were talking about but to be honest dont give it much thought. I came out thinking i need to brush up. Been driving years and to be fair no one questions your knowledge or how up to date you are with it. Personally I think it should be a refresher every few years…at no cost but as an educational thing.

Wheel Nut:
Always answer the questions truthfully and don’t volunteer anymore or any less that they are asking, most times premiums will remain the same, but parking on a drive or on the street can be easily checked on Zoopla or Google Maps

I thought there was a duty of disclosure, regardless of the questions asked. I know…that can be a very contentious issue.

exit:

Wheel Nut:

I thought there was a duty of disclosure, regardless of the questions asked. I know…that can be a very contentious issue.

The old “utmost good faith” requirement. Those rules have been completely abolished as far as consumer insurance goes. The obligation now is simply for the consumer to answer honestly the specific questions put by the insurer.

Wheel Nut:
, but parking on a drive or on the street can be easily checked on Zoopla or Google Maps

Who told you that BS :unamused:
1 the reg is washed out
2 the maps are not up to date
3 they don’t have the time to sit outside ur house 24/7 366
4 go back to 1 :unamused:

nick2008:

Wheel Nut:
, but parking on a drive or on the street can be easily checked on Zoopla or Google Maps

Who told you that BS :unamused:
1 the reg is washed out
2 the maps are not up to date
3 they don’t have the time to sit outside ur house 24/7 366
4 go back to 1 :unamused:

Please go and Google Earth your own house.
Even though your insured red Zafira has its number plate pixled out, there it is in YOUR driveway.
I unwitingly found my daughter walking home from school on it. Yes her face was pixeled out but we know it was her.

They ARE watching.

Sure you all know.
But beware of declaring you have a dash cam to get cheaper insurance.
If you declare one you need it on every time you drive.
For arguments sake say you have a crash regardless of fault. And on that day you happen to forget to take your dash cam it can void your insurance.

Things may have changed but five years ago Admiral asked the question for my insurance, went up by £25 for the pleasure, wife also on the insurance and yes, had been one the course also, another £25 for the pleasure, this would have gone on for three years if I stayed with Admiral.