Foot in the door.

Hi there,

Im currently in the process of doing my C class driver training and want to carry on and train for a CE. (Im new to this so descriptions might be wrong)
I am looking for long term career in haulauge. Although i know there are jobs out there to apply for, i would like to know any information as to recruitment websites, agencies, or any other relevent information that would help a new comer like myself. Are companys less likely to take a driver on at a young age, or are there still oppertunities. What would be your advise to someone new starting out, and the process of going about things?

Many thanks for any information

Ben :smiley:

Things out there have not been good for quite some time - so there’s a good number of experienced drivers looking for work. Having said that, there is evidence that things are starting to look up and that newly qualified drivers are possibly getting more than their fair share of job offers. This could be for a couple of reasons: the employer can “mould” a new driver to that company’s way of doing things and it has to be said that the new driver maybe comes cheaper.
As far as age goes, that’s always been a barrier but it’s been overcome by many. There’s been loads of threads on here about getting work. The general opinion seems to be to visit companies personally, present a well put together cv and be ready to start work instantly. You may just walk in to their office as another driver has rung in sick. If you can go that minute, you’re ahead of the agency. That could lead to regular work if you make a good job of it.
If really desperate, offer to work for nothing as second man while you learn the ropes.
Above all, persist and don’t give up because you get knockbacks.
Good luck :laughing: :laughing:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Ben R.S :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Who are you training with :question:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum

Ben R.S:
Although i know there are jobs out there to apply for

There may be a few but not a lot - where did you get that info from :question:

There are many experienced LGV drivers out of work who generally get taken on before newbies but that is not always the case - see some of the recent posts on here where a few newbies have now, after weeks/months of trying, got themselves a position :smiley: :smiley:

The under 25 age group have the most problems as many company insurers will not insure them.

Peter Smythe:
Things out there have not been good for quite some time - so there’s a good number of experienced drivers looking for work. Having said that, there is evidence that things are starting to look up and that newly qualified drivers are possibly getting more than their fair share of job offers. This could be for a couple of reasons: the employer can “mould” a new driver to that company’s way of doing things and it has to be said that the new driver maybe comes cheaper.
As far as age goes, that’s always been a barrier but it’s been overcome by many. There’s been loads of threads on here about getting work. The general opinion seems to be to visit companies personally, present a well put together cv and be ready to start work instantly. You may just walk in to their office as another driver has rung in sick. If you can go that minute, you’re ahead of the agency. That could lead to regular work if you make a good job of it.
If really desperate, offer to work for nothing as second man while you learn the ropes.
Above all, persist and don’t give up because you get knockbacks.

Cheers for that Peter. Its given me a look at the industry from the eye of someone who has experianced it first hand. I think i will take your advice on going to companies personally and providing a good CV on my arrival. I would also be more than happy to do a job or two for free, if it gave me the chance to prove myself. I’l do anything to show im keen. Do you just apply to agencies and they will call you if any work is avalible to you?? But like you said, things arn’t good out there at the moment. Monthly truck magazines are full of adverts of people looking for work, but i wont let that deter me!! :smiley:

Many thanks for your help Peter, much appreciated.
Ben.

ROG:
. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Ben R.S :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Who are you training with :question:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum

Ben R.S:
Although i know there are jobs out there to apply for

There may be a few but not a lot - where did you get that info from :question:

There are many experienced LGV drivers out of work who generally get taken on before newbies but that is not always the case - see some of the recent posts on here where a few newbies have now, after weeks/months of trying, got themselves a position :smiley: :smiley:

The under 25 age group have the most problems as many company insurers will not insure them.

Hi Rog. Im currently training with a company called “Roadtrain” in Purfleet,Essex.
Yeah i thought that companies would look upon my age a bit, due to insurance reasons. I suppose il have to bide my time, Cheers.

I suppose il have to bide my time,

NO!

Whatever happened to the positive attitude? For pitys sake, get yourself out there and don’t be put off.

Keep on trying ,you may not get a job with a haulage firm ,but have a look at builders merchants .firms that do road works Royal Mail You could phone agencies in your area .you have to make an appointment and its basically a job interview so bring licences and references.

Ben R.S:
Im currently training with a company called “Roadtrain” in Purfleet,Essex.

roadtrain.co.uk/staff.htm - nice looking website (certain logos caught my attention :wink: ) and I cannot see any of the crap that is being spouted by certain other sites like ‘currently millions of vacancies’ etc etc

Peter Smythe:
NO!

Whatever happened to the positive attitude? For pitys sake, get yourself out there and don’t be put off.

ROG:
see some of the recent posts on here where a few newbies have now, after weeks/months of trying, got themselves a position

And many of them are under 25 :exclamation:

ROG:

Peter Smythe:
NO!

ROG:
see some of the recent posts on here where a few newbies have now, after weeks/months of trying, got themselves a position

And many of them are under 25 :exclamation:

I’m only 22 so I would be one of those people, never give up hope, and apply for everything, and think outside the box a bit :wink:

Don’t give up on it Ben.

It’s hard finding work and your age will count against you. But the prize is well worth the fight. :slight_smile:

I’m older, Garnerlives is younger but we both have permanent jobs within 3 to 4 months of passing C+E. :slight_smile:

Not everyone is going to have the same amount of luck but it has to be worth the try. :slight_smile:

Cheers for all your help guys.

I’l keep the positive attitude, especially now i know other people my age have persisted with it too, and more inportantly they’ve got something out of it.
I know this is a bit off the subjet, but what is a digi-card, something to do with tacho??
Thanks for help and advice. :smiley:

Morning. :slight_smile:

Glad you are going to carry on. :slight_smile:

A Digicard is a Digital Tachograph Card, the modern replacement for the old fashioned tachodiscs.

You need to get yourself one as all recent trucks have digital tachographs now. It’s a smart card, it saves all your driving hours for a month or so and they are a little easier to use than the old fashioned discs. Over half of the trucks I have driven for agencies have had digital tachos.

I think they are £38 from the DSA/DVLA folk.

Rog will doubtless find you the link. :slight_smile:

Wozzer:
Rog will doubtless find you the link.

The link to get one is in the training tips accessed via the link in my signature :smiley:

Oh i see. So all my information in relation to my driving hours will be saved on that card for “X” amount of days.
I take it i just apply for one once passed. Thanks for your help guys.
Ben

Apply for it before you pass, so its one less thing you are waiting to receive when you are waiting for your license to come back

garnerlives:
Apply for it before you pass, so its one less thing you are waiting to receive when you are waiting for your license to come back

+1 :smiley: Good advice! Many agencies will insist on you having a digicard because it’s one thing less for them to worry about when they send you on a job.

ROG:

Ben R.S:
Im currently training with a company called “Roadtrain” in Purfleet,Essex.

roadtrain.co.uk/staff.htm - nice looking website (certain logos caught my attention :wink: ) and I cannot see any of the crap that is being spouted by certain other sites like ‘currently millions of vacancies’ etc etc

I see them about Chelmsford all the time, they use a full size artic for class1, i cant recall seeing a RT Class 2 vehicle though so have no idea what they use.