Food...

Ive started to experiment, tin of corned beef, chopped thrown in the saucepan with a bit of oil, followed by tinned spuds, chopped and thrown in, not bad if i dont say so myself, will have to carry some onions and peppers tho.

Rob, i had a plastic water can but it leaked so im wondering if i should get a metal jeri can, roadpro do a 25 litre one.

As far as Tea and coffe go, has anyone used powderd milk?
I think ill go for the cheaper option of a 12v cool box, they were selling them in reading services for about £30 the other ngiht when i was in there

Rob K:

Cav203k:

Rob K:
…unless I’m near Colsterworth

A couple of years ago I was a waist 34 and needed a belt. Now I’m a 36 and don’t need a belt

:wink: You mean ‘White s’ yeah its not bad there.

:laughing: :laughing: I am starting to struggle on the 36’s now (was built like a japanese racing snake till I got behind the wheel) :laughing: :laughing:

White’s :question: Never heard it called that before, assuming you’re referring to the A1 Diner behind the services on the roundabout.

Yep, the one with the diesel bunkering behind the Granada services that looks similar to the OK diner just north of Stibbington on the A1 (next to the Shell garage), thats what my old boss used to call it & both his mum & sister used to work there (infact the mother was reputed to have shares in the place at one time but I dont know how true that was ) they all called it Whities.

Gurner:
Ive started to experiment, tin of corned beef, chopped thrown in the saucepan with a bit of oil, followed by tinned spuds, chopped and thrown in, not bad if i dont say so myself, will have to carry some onions and peppers tho.

Rob, i had a plastic water can but it leaked so im wondering if i should get a metal jeri can, roadpro do a 25 litre one.

As far as Tea and coffe go, has anyone used powderd milk?
I think ill go for the cheaper option of a 12v cool box, they were selling them in reading services for about £30 the other ngiht when i was in there

Try a camping / army surplus shop, I got a strong opaque plastic 10l water container from one of those shops locally, just fits with a squeeze at the side of the passenger seat in my 4 series Scanny so it doesnt roll all over the place…a 25 litre one is a bit excessive unless you are crossing the water & dont fancy buying loads of Evian, you can fill them at most garages so unless you are planning installing a shower on the catwalk you may find it a bit too ■■■■■■■■■■■
Hmmmmm, I’ll have to try the corned beef :slight_smile:
Farmfoods here in Lincoln are doing those HP ‘all day breakfast’ + omlette & wedges or something like that for 2 for a quid…I had to fill a cupboard at that price.
I was talking to one of Carters box pullers some time ago & he told me he buys these ‘4 meals for £5’ & keeps them in the fridge, he had one of those 24v plug in ovens that they sell at the services down south (Hants IIRC), flash bas[zb] was having some fancy roast dinner that night!
Apparently they are fine in the fridge all week even though they are frozen when bought.

Gurner:

Aye, mine leaks a bit both nothing excessive. I keep it in the passenger side locker. I don’t recommend you buy a 25 litre drum because you won’t be able to lift it. Lifting the 10 litre one I’ve got is plenty heavy enough when it’s full. You won’t need more than 10 litres anyway and like that other guy says, you can fill them up at MSA’s when you stop for fuel. Be aware that the water that comes out of the taps down south has already been drunk once so fill it up when up north if you can.

When I was a Driver for Gateshead Council I’d been a naughty boy so as punishment the gaffer put me on an old Ford Mechanical Brush, I hated it, with a vengance and boy did he know it, however, the advantage was that you only travelled at 4mph, so I use to take kippers wrapped in tin foil and open the little service hatch on the engine cover inside the cab and lay them on the manifold, it really pee’d him off when I arrived back at dinner time and stunk the cabin out with kippers.

I learnt there were many things you could cook on the manifold of that Ford :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:

Gurner:

Be aware that the water that comes out of the taps down south has already been drunk once so fill it up when up north if you can.

ROFLMAO
A bit like their shandy :laughing:
'kin southern jessies.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeh ill go for the 10 litre, roadpro are out of stock of the 10l tho, only have 25 in stock, so ill have a butchers around see what i can find…

Northen monkeys … :open_mouth:

Gurner:
Northen monkeys … :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:wink: :wink:

Just reading through, it amazes me I forget what the bleedin hell I do carry! Cereals and a bowl, for breakfast every morning, and also for milk, i take 5-6 cartons of long life semi skimmed, its ok for tea, coffee or cereals. For water I bought a big bottle from the Safeway for 99p and fill that from the tap to boil up if cant get me flask filled, and for teeth ect. Also carry tea, coffee, sugar lumps for convenience and a night time drink like Bournvita ect. . Its all pretty much habit so I tend to forget!!

Mal.

All the years of various driving situations back there I never cooked in the cab. When I joined my last UK employer, working on shows and exhibitions I changed because every trailer we had was fitted with kitchens inside, each had fridge, gas burners and /or microwaves with hot and cold running water powered by built in generators.
Here my truck has room for everything but I either take food with me or eat in a diner.

I dont carry milk, for tea I use that ‘QT’ stuff and ‘QC’ for coffee unless I want to treat myself then the jar of really strong nice coffee comes out (I dont spoil that by adding milk!).
I do keep some yoghurts in the fridge, they either get eaten or launched at annoying car drivers (if they make contact it looks like an albatross bombed the car :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

Gurner:
Im slowly getting to know the places out and about for a good feed, even as a last resort the hollies will do, been using lymm a bit, and theres a couple of good ’ un’s down here, its just getting to know them.

Is there any chance we could have a list of “Greasy spoons” made up, there was a list knocking about, but it was more aimed at MSA’s
Im trying to find all the little cafes tucked away, sit down places etc

Have you tried looking in here yet? The book from Truck Drivers Guide is just what your after, I think, its 100% better than the offering from T&D last year.

If I’m right I think “Halfords” car accessories shops have really good deals on at the minute for plug-in cool boxes,under £20 for a good sized one :smiley:

gurner if your gonna boil a kettle on ya it will really wail the gas .id go for a 24volt kettle cdc do quite a few i had one that only cost £16 or theres the big red jug one thats a bit more expensive.just of on a tangent what else do you guysngals take with ya to get you through the week.when i packed in i cleared my cab and it surprised me how much i had bedding,maps,food,utensils,fridge,kettle, stove,microwave, tv ,video,dvd player,cb etc it really does become home from home. :laughing:

Stopped at Tebay last Fiday night. Charge you £5.00 for parking with a £1.50 voucher included; voucher can be spent in the shop, restaurant, or bar. Food is pricey though - £7.50 for a meal before using the voucher (stew and chips, glass of milk and a bread roll).

Cav203k:
I dont carry milk, for tea I use that ‘QT’ stuff and ‘QC’ for coffee unless I want to treat myself then the jar of really strong nice coffee comes out

There’s no such thing as strong coffee, only weak people. :wink: :smiley:

Cav203k:
(I dont spoil that by adding milk!).

Good man, glad to hear it. :wink:

Hi All,

Just been to NETTO and bought a 12volt cooler/heater. Seems a good buy at £25. It will change from a cooler to a heater at the flick of a switch.

Westie

Careful not to flick that switch by mistake because some foods, such as yoghurt, are not nice when warm as a colleague of mine found out one day. :wink: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
Careful not to flick that switch by mistake because some foods, such as yoghurt, are not nice when warm as a colleague of mine found out one day. :wink: :smiley:

Hey Cof, ever tried that Nescafe in a can? (do something to the can [ shake it or something] & it heats up the contents)
I cannot recomend the stuff, even when half awake at 05.00 its not very nice :frowning: