Following on from the lift axle thread

Anyone know why (mainly DAF) have piddly little wheels on some lift axles?
Only reason I can think of is because of running a low chassis height and its to stop the wheel dragging when raised without raising the 5th wheel ride height (after the discussion about the Scania)

Is anyone in the know?

They’re lighter for bulk work.

I often think that. I saw a new Asda liveried R series Scania the other day with little wheels on the lift axle, pulling a double decker, I thought that was weird as the Scania R series usually have normal sized wheels on the mid lift.

Maybe it’s a cheaper option or summat?

Also, is it me or do the little wheels on the midlift (when loaded) look like they’re under a lot of strain?

lighter axles, less drag, same weight capacity, them 3 combined saves fuel…simples… :sunglasses:

Snowgo:
They’re lighter for bulk work.

I get that but surely the lifting gear and everything else is the same weight. The only difference would be the wheel itself which would be 200kgs?

Smaller and weigh less but still get it to the max weight limit for the truck …every kilo counts ! And cheaper to buy and fit I bet.

it is NOT mainly DAF that run these, most manufacturers run them, but are hidden behind side skirts, so, you only see the bottom part when the axle is down

as already said, it is for weight saving, on bulk work, every kilo counts

another thing about the small wheeled axles…

IF the weight limit increases from the current 44 tonne to a higher limit, a unit on normal wheels can increase the limit of the truck, as the design weight will be around 50 tonne

whereas, a unit with the smaller weight saving wheels won’t be able to increase the top end weight, as the design weight is 44 tonne

Room for bigger fuel tanks.

Tarrman:
I often think that. I saw a new Asda liveried R series Scania the other day with little wheels on the lift axle, pulling a double decker, I thought that was weird as the Scania R series usually have normal sized wheels on the mid lift.

Also, is it me or do the little wheels on the midlift (when loaded) look like they’re under a lot of strain?

Might have been one from their tanker fleet. Grangemouth use their tanker units on store deliveries some times. Don’t know the reason for this though. Maybe they are short of units or the tanker men get sent out on store deliveries when they are quiet.

As has been said, weight saving. When compared to a twin steer equivalent theres a lot of weight saved by the omission of the the steering components like axle king pins, steering hubs, drag links, radious arms and a trackrod.
The smaller wheels fitted also means more room for fuel, adblue and hydraulic tanks and all the gubbins for pumping.

Tarrman:

They always remind me of the stablisers used on kiddies bikes :grimacing:

damoq:

Tarrman:

Might have been one from their tanker fleet. Grangemouth use their tanker units on store deliveries some times. Don’t know the reason for this though. Maybe they are short of units or the tanker men get sent out on store deliveries when they are quiet.

Who told you that?? Never known that to happen…The Asda tankers are owned & operated by DHL & don’t go anywhere near their RDC for store work!

busteredwards:

damoq:

Tarrman:

Who told you that?? Never known that to happen…The Asda tankers are owned & operated by DHL & don’t go anywhere near their RDC for store work!

Nobody told me. I’ve seen them with my own eyes. I also see them quite often pulling store delivery trailers so it wasn’t just a one off. They are 100% Asda tanker units.

OK, I’m just of the phone to a fella called Jim Adams, Jim’s the driver trainer with DHL in Grangemouth (his brother Alec is an Asda store driver…maybe you know him??) & there is no way the DHL tanker men would be sent to an RDC to take out store deliveries.

I was in the tanker game here in Grangemouth for many years & it didn’t happen then & it certainly doesn’t happen now.

busteredwards:
OK, I’m just of the phone to a fella called Jim Adams, Jim’s the driver trainer with DHL in Grangemouth (his brother Alec is an Asda store driver…maybe you know him??) & there is no way the DHL tanker men would be sent to an RDC to take out store deliveries.

I was in the tanker game here in Grangemouth for many years & it didn’t happen then & it certainly doesn’t happen now.

Fair enough, but I’ve definitely seen Asda Pet Reg Scanias pulling their curtainsiders on a lot more than one occasion. I’m sure it was mentioned on here by someone else a few months back. I’ll see if I can find the thread.

viewtopic.php?t=95638

There are only 3 Asda liveried DHL units on the contract, what makes you think they were DHL units you’ve spotted??

busteredwards:
There are only 3 Asda liveried DHL units on the contract, what makes you think they were DHL units you’ve spotted??

I didn’t say they were DHL units. I said they were Asda units.

damoq:

busteredwards:

I didn’t say they were DHL units. I said they were Asda units.

Asda don’t have any tanker pulling units, the ones you see working from Grangemouth are DHL owned & operated but in Asda livery (well…A green ASDA logo on each door!) & they don’t go near the RDC.

busteredwards:

Found a PIC of one pulling a decker. Granted it has a full air kit which is not a usual feature on a tanker, but it definitely is PetReg spec.

flickr.com/photos/mikealaska/8614956564/

damoq:

busteredwards:

Found a PIC of one pulling a decker. Granted it has a full air kit which is not a usual feature on a tanker, but it definitely is PetReg spec.

flickr.com/photos/mikealaska/8614956564/

Check plate mudguards and a hazard plate on the front.
A picture speaks a 1000 words.