Fodens.

To run at up to 28 Tons gross weight following the 1964 regulations, the outer axle spread had to be increased to 26ft and this meant a longer wheelbase was required, to the point where its lack of manoeuvrability was unacceptable to some users although the overall max length of 36ft 1in was achieved, the idea was it spread the load much better for bridges and road surfaces. Not suitable for most operators as said but some did. Franky.

The Foden in the photo also looks to be the 26 Ton GVW model, rather than the 28 Ton, with the rear bogie moved nearer to the rear of the chassis, this having a 23ft outer axle spread but retaining the same overall length and body space as the Standard 8 wheeler layout, adjustments had been made to increase steering lock also to be marginally better that the standard model. Hope this explains. Franky.

This was a 28 tonner Larry.

Frankydobo:
The Foden in the photo also looks to be the 26 Ton GVW model, rather than the 28 Ton, with the rear bogie moved nearer to the rear of the chassis, this having a 23ft outer axle spread but retaining the same overall length and body space as the Standard 8 wheeler layout, adjustments had been made to increase steering lock also to be marginally better that the standard model. Hope this explains. Franky.

Thanks for that Franky, while I’ve got you,did that axle spread last? I’m asking because all my 30t 8whlrs looked similar to the S21 . By the way that’s still the only S21 tipper I’ve seen with that wheel base, but then I seem to have spent most of my driving days asleep, cheers coomsey

Thanks for that Franky, while I’ve got you,did that axle spread last? I’m asking because all my 30t 8whlrs looked similar to the S21 . By the way that’s still the only S21 tipper I’ve seen with that wheel base, but then I seem to have spent most of my driving days asleep, cheers coomsey

In the case of the 28Ton version there seemed to be limited interest to suit operators, although the Bulmers steel carrier they built fitted this spec so the 28ton spec would only be required for certain work. The traditional 24Ton short wheelbase 8 wheeler was still the favourite choice for most users. regarding the S21 cab no doubt there was some overlap between the S21 and the new tilt cab release and the older cab could still be ordered and fitted to the 26Ton model chassis as in the photo. This chassis with the rear bogie pushed back was popular with the Bulk carrier end tipping fleets and especially those on long distance too. Franky.

This S 36 Foden was Plated for 26 Tonnes Gross when new in 1969, But only ran at 24 Tonne until the weights were lifted, But sadley the wheel base was too short to meet the new regulations, So My cousin who owned it contacted Fodens at Sandbach and got all the gen on how to upgrade it, So he did all the work required and extended the chassis , And got it uprated to 28 Tonnes Gross, It was a good job well done and could carry 19 Tonne Pay Load, Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
00This S 36 Foden was Plated for 26 Tonnes Gross when new in 1969, But only ran at 24 Tonne until the weights were lifted, But sadley the wheel base was too short to meet the new regulations, So My cousin who owned it contacted Fodens at Sandbach and got all the gen on how to upgrade it, So he did all the work required and extended the chassis , And got it uprated to 28 Tonnes Gross, It was a good job well done and could carry 19 Tonne Pay Load, Larry.

She stands well Larry ! That’s some pay load at 28t cheers coomsey

NMP off FB

coomsey:

Lawrence Dunbar:
00This S 36 Foden was Plated for 26 Tonnes Gross when new in 1969, But only ran at 24 Tonne until the weights were lifted, But sadley the wheel base was too short to meet the new regulations, So My cousin who owned it contacted Fodens at Sandbach and got all the gen on how to upgrade it, So he did all the work required and extended the chassis , And got it uprated to 28 Tonnes Gross, It was a good job well done and could carry 19 Tonne Pay Load, Larry.

She stands well Larry ! That’s some pay load at 28t cheers coomsey

That was good, the tare weight was near enough the same as my Father’s 1973 6 wheeler S80 tipper with alloy dropside.

OIP (1).jpg

ownerdriver.com.au/industry … -forgotten

Star down under.:
https://www.ownerdriver.com.au/industry-news/1907/foden-not-forgotten

Super duper SDU, not so sure about being close to the engine kept you warm in Winter comments though :open_mouth:

coomsey:

Star down under.:

Super duper SDU, not so sure about being close to the engine kept you warm in Winter comments though :open_mouth:

Only warmth we got in winter with Gardner exhaust manifold on the drivers side . Still needed a good climb to get it really warm .

rigsby:

coomsey:

Star down under.:

Only warmth we got in winter with Gardner exhaust manifold on the drivers side . Still needed a good climb to get it really warm .

I used to wrap the extraordinarily old n manky bonnet rug round my legs n that didn’t always work !

Foden always at the forefront of technology mirrorless cab :laughing:

It did have a mirror once, about the size of a postage stamp. :slight_smile: Only one wiper too back then, this was built under ER Foden’s supervision and completed in 1931, as it says on the door. It had a Gardner 5L2 diesel engine 5 cylinder 7lt producing 62bhp at 1,300rpm. the engine was developed for Marine use in 1929 but found suitable for lorries and converted for road use. It had a Daimler gearbox as used on their buses before the pre-select type became standard, and Kirkstall drive axle. It isn’t the original cab, this one fitted to ‘modernise’ the look was put on during the late 30’s. The vehicle with a couple of other Foden machines was sold to the Science Museum in 1982 bearing the registration LG 7186. Franky.

images-9.jpeg

We had a couple of these with Leyland 680’s and Foden 12 speeds, on Greenwoods at Edmonton when I was a fitters mate there in the early 70’s they were both on the Scotch trunk carrying TV times etc. The first time I serviced one was nearly the last time as when I had finished I drove it up the yard to park it up thinking "these Foden 12 speeds cant be that hard to use, well you should have heard the noise when I tried changing and splitting at the same time going up the yard, well Earnie Stimston the fleet engineer did and I got a right bollicking and banned from driving them,lol.
Steve.

One of Whitwick quarries 680 ,they had 5. They spent a fair amount of time in the garage, the only Gardner one spent most of it’s time on the road, albeit a tad slower, NMP off FB

FB_IMG_1638549206444.jpg

coomsey:
One of Whitwick quarries 680 ,they had 5. They spent a fair amount of time in the garage, the only Gardner one spent most of it’s time on the road, albeit a tad slower, NMP off FB

What was the problem with the Leyland version?