Fodens.

The S39 cabbed four wheel goods chassis were probably the last built although Foden still built four wheel Dump trucks and 4x4 Military models. Even back to the mid 60’s Foden four wheel production concentrated mainly on tractor units. The model below is an L reg and likely the last of these as the S40 cab had been released at the start of the 70’s and the S39 cab was dated by mid 70’s. It is one of the nicer looking Foden cabs the company produced. Franky.

Frankydobo:
The S39 cabbed four wheel goods chassis were probably the last built although Foden still built four wheel Dump trucks and 4x4 Military models. Even back to the mid 60’s Foden four wheel production concentrated mainly on tractor units. The model below is an L reg and likely the last of these as the S40 cab had been released at the start of the 70’s and the S39 cab was dated by mid 70’s. It is one of the nicer looking Foden cabs the company produced. Franky.

The best looking Foden for me Franky, although things were a little tight in there,Rigsby reckons everything at hand ■■ I had the 12sp in the Glovers one but I preferred the fake 12sp in the Tarmac gal, I wouldn’t have minded either, wished I’d have had a bash in the Leyland engined one ,my mate said they were the biz, but not to be, cheers Coomsey

FB_IMG_1612092130895.jpg

FB_IMG_1584731806379.jpg

Dennis Javelin:

Punchy Dan:

Kempston:

Punchy Dan:
21 years old and no faults at the minute :smiley:

It’s a Foden…good for another 21 years Dan.

Let’s hope so ,although I’am struggling to get S cam bars for stock items just in case :cry:

Hi Dan,

Do you have any part no’s of the S Cams you are looking for? I have a few that are for Spicer axles from the 80’s that you can have for free if they are any use.

Tommy

Tommy these are meritor numbers front axle which is an s75 model ,2210x5848 and 2210w5847 .Then drive axle Rockwell 180 model 2210x5328 and 2210w5327 thank you Dan .

coomsey:

Frankydobo:

The best looking Foden for me Franky, although things were a little tight in there,Rigsby reckons everything at hand ■■ I had the 12sp in the Glovers one but I preferred the fake 12sp in the Tarmac gal, I wouldn’t have minded either, wished I’d have had a bash in the Leyland engined one ,my mate said they were the biz, but not to be, cheers Coomsey

Regarding the Leyland 680/12speed The s36 dropped a valve at Cottesmore and the fitter came out with the s21 wrecker and a straight bar . The fastest run up the a1 ever , I didn’t know an s36 speedo went that high . Hell of a lorry that s21 , I wish I could have driven it before it was converted from a tipper .

Hi Rigsby, I share your comments on the S21, I bet it was a cracking bit of gear to drive, I only had one S21 Foden but it made a few bob for me as a owner Driver, I could take it anyware Long haul Short haul, It was the making of my doing good in the haulage game when I was Raring to go anyware with loads that paid well.Take care & stay safe my friend, Regards Larry

Punchy Dan:
21 years old and no faults at the minute :smiley:

Cant knock that Dan ! Better than those euro 6 sheds. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Something a bit older.

foden 1st gardner.PNG

foden 1st gardner 1931 pfod.PNG

This S21 Foden was a great motor with its 150 Gardner Engine & Fodens 12 speed gear box, It was a great motor to drive & very good on MPG, I have the full history of it from when it was new & where it ended its days,Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This S21 Foden was a great motor with its 150 Gardner Engine & Fodens 12 speed gear box, It was a great motor to drive & very good on MPG, I have the full history of it from when it was new & where it ended its days,Regards Larry.

Looks great Larry :sunglasses:

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This S21 Foden was a great motor with its 150 Gardner Engine & Fodens 12 speed gear box, It was a great motor to drive & very good on MPG, I have the full history of it from when it was new & where it ended its days,Regards Larry.

Looks great Larry :sunglasses:

Thank you Dan, A man of good taste if I may say so, Take care & stay safe my friend, Regards Larry.

Fresh out the box! NMP

coomsey:
Fresh out the box! NMP

Used to have a Bardon 4 wheeler tipper load steel punchings out of Smiths on a regular basis, can’t remember his name but used to start at ridiculously early times, was nothing for him to have tipped on the south coast and be with us well before lunchtime. He drove a MAN.

ARC Whitwick had 6 of these gals,5 with the 680 in em, 1with a Gardner. The driver of the Gardner, I’m reliably informed,was a disgruntled man :smiley:

9F9DEACD-6B28-4251-BD25-466BFC6D984B.jpeg
114730B5-1642-435B-A7A0-05323A7ECF30.jpeg

D21A53F9-4104-4FCF-ADB0-F78E9B1B36BC.jpeg
B69EF1EB-2158-4EAA-8525-73B260969677.jpeg
0DAAEDCB-4AFC-4517-B6A8-375750C38E90.jpeg Hi all - found these two in Lausanne, CH this evening. No one around to ask any details though!

149C8C19-4143-4C4B-BDA2-FB40B7FA044D.jpegAnd one more, not really in the right thread, but Paccar at least. Is there a fairground wagons thread somewhere? Will add a few others if so - loads of big Dafs and Scanias down here.

Couple still about

rigsby:

coomsey:

Frankydobo:

Regarding the Leyland 680/12speed The s36 dropped a valve at Cottesmore and the fitter came out with the s21 wrecker and a straight bar . The fastest run up the a1 ever , I didn’t know an s36 speedo went that high . Hell of a lorry that s21 , I wish I could have driven it before it was converted from a tipper .

Was this the S21 Rigs?

This one came later. Photographed by the late Colin Wright in 1981 in the yard one Sunday.

That’s the one Bonkey , what a beast it was . The late Eddie Smith ran it as a tipper but it was only a 24 tonner . They also had an s20 with a boom lift and an ex army tank winch at the time . I remember them building that s39 wrecker , we all got stuck in and brush painted the body , long time ago now !

Couple of 4000 series still useable

0DE6A91C-75EE-4C43-B629-077D34335B05.jpeg

rigsby:
That’s the one Bonkey , what a beast it was . The late Eddie Smith ran it as a tipper but it was only a 24 tonner . They also had an s20 with a boom lift and an ex army tank winch at the time . I remember them building that s39 wrecker , we all got stuck in and brush painted the body , long time ago now !

Was the S36 a ‘Croft lorry? Seen a pic of the S39s they had.