Fodens.

I went to college with a lad named Julian Tennant who worked at K&M in the garage
I think the garage manager was Byron?
Also a chap named David Page worked in the garage

andrews:

Spardo:
What year was that motor, Jsansone? My memory is largely shot to pieces now, I don’t even remember what years I worked there without some really hard brain work, but I know that there were no 6 wheel units during my time. Not that many, if any, sleepers either come to that. I had a Foden with a steel cab, can’t remember the model, which I think a ■■■■■■■ 205 engine. I pulled a powder tanker trailer with bottom delivery, one of only 3 combinations like that at the time.

My later connection with K&M was in the 80s/90s when I was transport manager at Toray and I contracted them to look after the servicing of our fleet. The head man in the garage had an unusual first name, Moreton, I think.

They were at the airfield then but still had the garage in Bulwell I think. When I worked for them, much earlier, they had a yard which ran along behind the houses on the main road between Bulwell and Hucknall, the entrance was just over the boundary beyond the bus terminus. Long built over with houses now I believe.

Nice looking motor, your Dad’s, btw, looks the bees’ knees with that long low trailer. :smiley:

That photo was a k&m Foden (B65) I believe was on a E plate around 1988, taken at Hucknall aerodrome (you can see the hangers in the background)

My dad (Malc Andrews) had it on general haulage.
He also had a Daf in Grantham road services livery. A 6 wheeler Daf in Sapa colours, and a volvo F10 acquired from Barnfathers in the early 90’s.
I’ve got no pictures of those :frowning: but if anyone has any I’m sure my Dad would love to see them

Best Regards
James

I can remember “Black” Billy on K&M he used to live around the corner from me
I went to school with his son

gazsa401:
I went to college with a lad named Julian Tennant who worked at K&M in the garage

Oh dear, I fear I have spotlighted my own advanced age, I was obviously at K&M well before all the names mentioned above because I don’t recognise any of them with the one exception (which I got wrong) of Byron Moreton, and even he was from a later era some 20 years after I worked for the company. :unamused:

Referring back to that artic powder tanker that I linked, as I had to go back 16 pages to find that, were they a bit rare then, perhaps only made for a brief moment in time? Didn’t find anything wrong with it myself, I found it a lovely motor to drive. :smiley:

Apart from Byron, who was not there when I was, I only remember 4 names from my time there, the Poole brothers, Barry and the other one :unamused: , and the 2 Watts, Graham, a driver who came from from Bulk Powders and had previously been on fuel tankers, and the boss at the time who not only gave me a job but also suggested that I learn powder tankering. This was much to the chagrin of my late, younger, brother John Marker, who preceded me there (I think they actually trained him through his class one test) as he had to slave with an Atki and flat and got all messed up and wet, handballing, roping and sheeting while I could practically turn up in a suit. :laughing: :laughing: To add insult to injury he was on basic hours whereas I sometimes earned twice as much due to the really generous hours per miles system. 2 and a half hours to London was exactly what he got paid, whereas I, for the same distance, got around 4 and a half hours for it. :astonished: :laughing:

andrews:

Spardo:
What year was that motor, Jsansone? My memory is largely shot to pieces now, I don’t even remember what years I worked there without some really hard brain work, but I know that there were no 6 wheel units during my time. Not that many, if any, sleepers either come to that. I had a Foden with a steel cab, can’t remember the model, which I think a ■■■■■■■ 205 engine. I pulled a powder tanker trailer with bottom delivery, one of only 3 combinations like that at the time.

My later connection with K&M was in the 80s/90s when I was transport manager at Toray and I contracted them to look after the servicing of our fleet. The head man in the garage had an unusual first name, Moreton, I think.

They were at the airfield then but still had the garage in Bulwell I think. When I worked for them, much earlier, they had a yard which ran along behind the houses on the main road between Bulwell and Hucknall, the entrance was just over the boundary beyond the bus terminus. Long built over with houses now I believe.

Nice looking motor, your Dad’s, btw, looks the bees’ knees with that long low trailer. :smiley:

That photo was a k&m Foden (B65) I believe was on a E plate around 1988, taken at Hucknall aerodrome (you can see the hangers in the background)

He also had a Daf in Grantham road services livery. A 6 wheeler Daf in Sapa colours, and a volvo F10 acquired from Barnfathers in the early 90’s.
I’ve got no pictures of those :frowning: but if anyone has any I’m sure my Dad would love to see them

Best Regards
James

My Dad worked at K&M around 1967 he drove a Seddon artic pulling a flat trailer
Nmp

andrews:

Spardo:

Best Regards
James

My Dad worked at K&M around 1967 he drove a Seddon artic pulling a flat trailer
Nmp

I remember Byron at K & M, they painted our Sed Ak 400’s when Tilcon bought them new and when we steamed them off for their first tests at Watnall the paint from the cab was mostly on the floor! :unamused: I took them for test and then dropped them off for repainting under warranty. :slight_smile:

Pete.

Spardo:

gazsa401:

Oh dear, I fear I have spotlighted my own advanced age, I was obviously at K&M well before all the names mentioned above because I don’t recognise any of them with the one exception (which I got wrong) of Byron Moreton, and even he was from a later era some 20 years after I worked for the company. :unamused:

Referring back to that artic powder tanker that I linked, as I had to go back 16 pages to find that, were they a bit rare then, perhaps only made for a brief moment in time? Didn’t find anything wrong with it myself, I found it a lovely motor to drive. :smiley:

Apart from Byron, who was not there when I was, I only remember 4 names from my time there, the Poole brothers, Barry and the other one :unamused: , and the 2 Watts, Graham, a driver who came from from Bulk Powders and had previously been on fuel tankers, and the boss at the time who not only gave me a job but also suggested that I learn powder tankering. This was much to the chagrin of my late, younger, brother John Marker, who preceded me there (I think they actually trained him through his class one test) as he had to slave with an Atki and flat and got all messed up and wet, handballing, roping and sheeting while I could practically turn up in a suit. :laughing: :laughing: To add insult to injury he was on basic hours whereas I sometimes earned twice as much due to the really generous hours per miles system. 2 and a half hours to London was exactly what he got paid, whereas I, for the same distance, got around 4 and a half hours for it. :astonished: :laughing:

I spoke to my Dad this morning I mentioned Bulk Powders to him Bulk Powders was set up by Jack Stirland not long after he sold Stirlands to TDG around 1965
It was run by Dougie Cullen as Jack was not allowed to set up in haulage again as part of an agreement with TDG
He also mentioned one of your drivers at Toray Barry Marlow who years ago lived near my Mam and Dad
Cheers Gary

gazsa401:
I spoke to my Dad this morning I mentioned Bulk Powders to him Bulk Powders was set up by Jack Stirland not long after he sold Stirlands to TDG around 1965
It was run by Dougie Cullen as Jack was not allowed to set up in haulage again as part of an agreement with TDG
He also mentioned one of your drivers at Toray Barry Marlow who years ago lived near my Mam and Dad
Cheers Gary

Yes Barry became a skilled ‘proper’ wagon and drag driver, if he had any faults it was that he loved to do things the hard way, for example reversing in blind side even when it wasn’t necessary, just because he could. :smiley:
Does your Dad know if he is still with us Gary? He was one of the older ones that I ‘inherited’.

I did not know that info about Jack Stirland, I did a year there, probably in my very crowded '70s, on Bristol night trunk. A very good, well paid job. The only reason I left was because a sideline business I had set up with a mate, suddenly required my full time attention when he decided to go back to college. :astonished:

Hi Dan,Smart as A ■■■■ , F For Foden, & F for fantastic, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Dan,Smart as A ■■■■ , F For Foden, & F for fantastic, Regards Larry.

:sunglasses: :wink:flying the flag

Taken this morning

Quality

NMP off FB

N M P. But one of my faves, Fodens IMO Were great motor to drive and own of course, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
N M P. But one of my faves, Fodens IMO Were great motor to drive and own of course, Regards Larry.

Great pic that Larry.Wish I had a camera back in tha late 60’s so I could have took a close up of the Foden S36 I went in as a young lad.I loved it,the S36 with a Gardner 150 & Foden 12 speed box what a lovely sound for a 11yr old.I thought the 8 wheelers were massive back then,but compared to today’s motor’s they were small.At least I manged to get a pic of the Foden S39 with the Gardner 180 in that the driver I went with Reg Marshall had from new after the previous S36.Butlers eventually had 7 of these.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Some I’ve had the pleasure of driving,or sisters of. They were built to last, British engineering at it’s best. Cheers Coomsey

FB_IMG_1612092130895.jpg

FB_IMG_1588871642902.jpg

.facebook_1499765613349.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

paul motyka:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Great pic that Larry.Wish I had a camera back in tha late 60’s so I could have took a close up of the Foden S36 I went in as a young lad.I loved it,the S36 with a Gardner 150 & Foden 12 speed box what a lovely sound for a 11yr old.I thought the 8 wheelers were massive back then,but compared to today’s motor’s they were small.At least I manged to get a pic of the Foden S39 with the Gardner 180 in that the driver I went with Reg Marshall had from new after the previous S36.Butlers eventually had 7 of these.

Hi Paul. I tried to correct the colour on your picture of the Butlers Foden. The software I use managed to make the grass green, the sky blue, and the tarmac grey but insists the lorry is a sort of maroon colour !! Is the colour of the lorry way out ? I will remove the photo if you think I have spoiled it.

Regards John.

Well its still a good old Foden, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Some more beautiful Fodens. Nmp

AF291178-09A9-4F52-9ECD-7D89D291703C.jpeg

E81ACC77-AC40-4072-9E57-645D7438ED59.jpeg

A5B95219-8429-4A3C-8C1E-2C6F911DDC37.jpeg

AFE9966C-87FC-495C-B799-8101723AE807.jpeg