Fodens.

Punchy Dan:

rigsby:
No use Pete polishing his spanners , that’s not a proper Foden . It’s a DAF with a badge on the front . Us more mature drivers drove and mended real Fodens .

Tut tut Dave you don’t know your fodens as well as you think you do , :laughing: mine is no different to a 4000 except the cab ,the alpha 2 is a Daf .they are completely different :wink:

Aye maybe so , but the 4000 looks a lot nicer Dan . Last motor I drove was an Alpha 410 same year as yours . Once Paccar took over Fodens lost their individuality , the drivetrain was ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ /Gardner Fuller , Rockwell same as Erf or Seddon Atkinson . I personally never liked the DAF cab , but I reckon compared to the modern monstrosities it’s neater and more versatile .

1970commer:
If I’d paid more attention in art class at school I could have painted a picture but as with most things at school I had an eye on the clock all the time & couldn’t wait for the bus home every day.

Eeh Robert lad, tha didna tak a bus om from skewel, did thee? it’s only just round t’corner from yours, just an 'op an a skip. In t’owd dees, long afore you was born, all us ankle-snappers ‘ad to walk all t’way from Trusley to Long Lane every dee, rain, snow and on t’occasional sunny dees an’ all! If it were proper cowd or pittling it darrn, reet heavy like. we’d mek out to be a bit badly so’s mother would get car out and tek and pick us up!

You young uns 'ave it too easy these dees! I wouldna mind betting that Rigsby will back me up!

(I told you I’d get you back for insulting my ‘hairdressers car’).

Steve

Ste46:

1970commer:
If I’d paid more attention in art class at school I could have painted a picture but as with most things at school I had an eye on the clock all the time & couldn’t wait for the bus home every day.

Eeh Robert lad, tha didna tak a bus om from skewel, did thee? it’s only just round t’corner from yours, just an 'op an a skip. In t’owd dees, long afore you was born, all us ankle-snappers ‘ad to walk all t’way from Trusley to Long Lane every dee, rain, snow and on t’occasional sunny dees an’ all! If it were proper cowd or pittling it darrn, reet heavy like. we’d mek out to be a bit badly so’s mother would get car out and tek and pick us up!

You young uns 'ave it too easy these dees! I wouldna mind betting that Rigsby will back me up!

(I told you I’d get you back for insulting my ‘hairdressers car’).

Steve

EEEEHHHH Steve I always walked the 100 yards to Longford Primary School (finest education you could ever get) although we didn’t realise it at the time, it wasn’t until I was made to go to Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School I had to get a bus there, sometimes I didn’t always come back on the bus, if we were out in Ashbourne at dinnertime & I saw Gavin Salt coming through town I would cadge a lift & complete my days “education” but not on school premises.

On the subject of hairdresser’s & their car’s I could do with a trim soon, how ya fixed ■■?

Only kidding Steve, you look after yourself & we’ll meet up soon.

My mind is boggling as to what education Gavin Salt could possibly give you Robert! :confused: :laughing: Having said that Gav was a good lad to work with so I can’t be nasty to him and we had some good times together, often sitting on the A1 near Newark etc waiting to tip when we really should have been at home several hours before. Tarmac gangs had lights on their machines and liked using them, those oversized tacho discs came in handy then. :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:
My mind is boggling as to what education Gavin Salt could possibly give you Robert! :confused: :laughing: Having said that Gav was a good lad to work with so I can’t be nasty to him and we had some good times together, often sitting on the A1 near Newark etc waiting to tip when we really should have been at home several hours before. Tarmac gangs had lights on their machines and liked using them, those oversized tacho discs came in handy then. :laughing:

Pete.

Gavin was on a flat lorry in those days Pete, the same one I bought as my first lorry in 1987, I learned how to read a map, how to unload cattle feed up loft steps while Gavin talked to the farmer, how to sheet & rope in a gale force wind or howling rain while Gavin talked to the farmer, never to refuse a cup of tea if a farmer offered you one. Looking back I can see why Gavin didn’t mind taking me on such trips, he had me do his job for him while he stood talking, I also used to wash his lorry most weekends.

Are you going to get that Foden going this weekend or next ■■?

1970commer:
Gavin was on a flat lorry in those days Pete, the same one I bought as my first lorry in 1987, I learned how to read a map, how to unload cattle feed up loft steps while Gavin talked to the farmer, how to sheet & rope in a gale force wind or howling rain while Gavin talked to the farmer, never to refuse a cup of tea if a farmer offered you one. Looking back I can see why Gavin didn’t mind taking me on such trips, he had me do his job for him while he stood talking, I also used to wash his lorry most weekends.

Are you going to get that Foden going this weekend or next ■■?

Is that the same map you had at Ballidon that only covered the UK as far north as Pikehall then Robert? :laughing: Regarding that Foden: it may have to wait a while as (a) at my age I’m not allowed out during lockdown or cold/wet/snowy/icy/windy weather and (b) I haven’t a clue where it lives. I suppose if I look around the area for damaged verges and broken branches I will have a fair idea of the route you took? :wink:

Pete.

Hi Larry that’s a nice line up there cheers Ray

By gum. Rob lad, you’re getting a bit of grief on here now from some of us oldies! I guess we all know you only too well?

Steve

I was watching an episode of the new series of Outback Opal hunters last night and one of the teams had invested in some " new " equipment part of it being an 8 wheeler Foden , not sure which one they made that many variants but it was similar to a Mickey Mouse cab

There’s heaps of interesting gear at Coober Pedy, both trucks and machinary, some pretty wild modifications and repairs too. :question:

Star down under.:
There’s heaps of interesting gear at Coober Pedy, both trucks and machinary, some pretty wild modifications and repairs too. :question:

Coober Pedy = White Man in a Hole. :laughing: :laughing:

Not unkown for some in furrin parts. :unamused: :wink:

GCR2ERF:

coomsey:

GCR2ERF:

coomsey:
You might know this gal Spardo !

Another useless piece of useless information…
Fleet no. on this was C15 - the last 8-legger they purchased was fleet no. C101, on an ‘F’-prefix reg, circa 1988-89; can’t recall the rest of the registration right now, but I’ve got photos somewhere(!) in the attic :open_mouth: :laughing:

No such thing as useless info! I used to see them all over the shop but don’t recall seeing them in scrapyard or steel works were they just coal movers ? Cheers Coomsey

I worked there 1992-1995, by which time the company was much reduced from it’s heyday. During my time the artics worked on a mix of tippers & general flats/curtainsiders with some warehousing thrown in. As the local pits closed, so the coal work dried up and the fleet became smaller.

They were part of the AAH group, which included other hauliers such as Dorchester Transport, Watts Bros. of Goole, Grantham Road Services, Sutherell’s of Lincoln, plus othes I may have forgotten. After taking over Barnfather’s, AAH sold out the transport division to Baylis Distribution. K&M were also members of the Transport Association, which used to see folks coming to our yard for diesel, repairs etc.

They are still trading from the old aerodrome site, with warehousing, a repairs garage, tachograph bay and a couple of lorries.

Given the size of the fleet, it often seems odd to me that there aren’t more photos of their fleet posted on the net, etc. Having said that, the fleet was very much geared towards working, rather than ‘bling’!

Like many firms back then, they had a core of good drivers that could turn their hand to anything and put some graft in too.

Being a local lad I was well aware of there fleet way before then, but some others chaps on here (Spardo, Frankydobo?) who worked there might be able to fill in the gaps.

What year was that motor, Jsansone? My memory is largely shot to pieces now, I don’t even remember what years I worked there without some really hard brain work, but I know that there were no 6 wheel units during my time. Not that many, if any, sleepers either come to that. I had a Foden with a steel cab, can’t remember the model, which I think a ■■■■■■■ 205 engine. I pulled a powder tanker trailer with bottom delivery, one of only 3 combinations like that at the time.

My later connection with K&M was in the 80s/90s when I was transport manager at Toray and I contracted them to look after the servicing of our fleet. The head man in the garage had an unusual first name, Moreton, I think.

They were at the airfield then but still had the garage in Bulwell I think. When I worked for them, much earlier, they had a yard which ran along behind the houses on the main road between Bulwell and Hucknall, the entrance was just over the boundary beyond the bus terminus. Long built over with houses now I believe.

Nice looking motor, your Dad’s, btw, looks the bees’ knees with that long low trailer. :smiley:

Spardo:
What year was that motor, Jsansone? My memory is largely shot to pieces now, I don’t even remember what years I worked there without some really hard brain work, but I know that there were no 6 wheel units during my time. Not that many, if any, sleepers either come to that. I had a Foden with a steel cab, can’t remember the model, which I think a ■■■■■■■ 205 engine. I pulled a powder tanker trailer with bottom delivery, one of only 3 combinations like that at the time.

My later connection with K&M was in the 80s/90s when I was transport manager at Toray and I contracted them to look after the servicing of our fleet. The head man in the garage had an unusual first name, Moreton, I think.

They were at the airfield then but still had the garage in Bulwell I think. When I worked for them, much earlier, they had a yard which ran along behind the houses on the main road between Bulwell and Hucknall, the entrance was just over the boundary beyond the bus terminus. Long built over with houses now I believe.

Nice looking motor, your Dad’s, btw, looks the bees’ knees with that long low trailer. :smiley:

That photo was a k&m Foden (B65) I believe was on a E plate around 1988, taken at Hucknall aerodrome (you can see the hangers in the background)

My dad (Malc Andrews) had it on general haulage.
He also had a Daf in Grantham road services livery. A 6 wheeler Daf in Sapa colours, and a volvo F10 acquired from Barnfathers in the early 90’s.
I’ve got no pictures of those :frowning: but if anyone has any I’m sure my Dad would love to see them

Best Regards
James

Spardo:

I have had to plough back through no less than 16 pages to find a picture of a Foden like the one I drove at K&M, and would you believe it, might even have found the very one? But can’t be sure as I rarely remember numbers. :confused:

However, the caption with it says the Motor Panels 1970 cab, so that is probably round about the time I worked there.

Phew, got to go and have a lie down now. :unamused: :laughing:

About 24 posts from the top and 8 from the bottom.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=130552&start=1170