Fodens.

coomsey:
Take your pick ! Nmp

Second one along will do for me . Had one new in '79 and it never let me down after the first 3 months , gearbox locked up and was quickly replaced with an overdrive box . with an E290 in her she would cruise at 70mph at 1400 rpm . Uprated to 38 ton with the original direct drive box it still pulled like a train but speed was back in mid 60s . It was about worn out by '86 and got rid of , and I ended up with a double drive foden with a 300 rolls , what a load of crap , it spent half the time with the engine in bits , so I jacked and went to pastures new .

rigsby:

coomsey:
Take your pick ! Nmp

Second one along will do for me . Had one new in '79 and it never let me down after the first 3 months , gearbox locked up and was quickly replaced with an overdrive box . with an E290 in her she would cruise at 70mph at 1400 rpm . Uprated to 38 ton with the original direct drive box it still pulled like a train but speed was back in mid 60s . It was about worn out by '86 and got rid of , and I ended up with a double drive foden with a 300 rolls , iwhat a load of crap , it spent half the time with the engine in bits , so I jacked and went to pastures new .

You’d be giving the Midland Red boys the headlights then? Never got past a S83 ,60mph, with the wind today would have spent most the way home in direct. Cheers Coomsey

coomsey:

rigsby:

coomsey:
Take your pick ! Nmp

Second one along will do for me . Had one new in '79 and it never let me down after the first 3 months , gearbox locked up and was quickly replaced with an overdrive box . with an E290 in her she would cruise at 70mph at 1400 rpm . Uprated to 38 ton with the original direct drive box it still pulled like a train but speed was back in mid 60s . It was about worn out by '86 and got rid of , and I ended up with a double drive foden with a 300 rolls , iwhat a load of crap , it spent half the time with the engine in bits , so I jacked and went to pastures new .

You’d be giving the Midland Red boys the headlights then? Never got past a S83 ,60mph, with the wind today would have spent most the way home in direct. Cheers Coomsey

And those doubledeckers, Standerwicks, was it? I reckon a trip to London would have been an event to remember down lane 3 on the top deck. :laughing:

coomsey:

rigsby:

coomsey:
Take your pick ! Nmp

Midland Red ? slowcoaches they wereI used to catch them most mornings between J10 and 9 on the M6 , went past them and gave them a cheery wave , they didn’t like me because they always waved back with 2 fingers . Our boss got curious so by arrangement he got behind me in his car( Jag ) one. morning and reckoned his speedo was showing 95 when I slacked off , so allowing for speedo error he said true speed would be over 90 . It was a tad on the thirsty side though .

Spardo:

coomsey:

rigsby:

coomsey:
Take your pick ! Nmp

And those doubledeckers, Standerwicks, was it? I reckon a trip to London would have been an event to remember down lane 3 on the top deck. :laughing:

Forgot all about them till you mentioned em Spardo. Yes they didn’t hang about

rigsby:

coomsey:

rigsby:

coomsey:
Take your pick ! Nmp

Midland Red ? slowcoaches they wereI used to catch them most mornings between J10 and 9 on the M6 , went past them and gave them a cheery wave , they didn’t like me because they always waved back with 2 fingers . Our boss got curious so by arrangement he got behind me in his car( Jag ) one. morning and reckoned his speedo was showing 95 when I slacked off , so allowing for speedo error he said true speed would be over 90 . It was a tad on the thirsty side though .

God almighty Riggers. This is what they looked like

780-GHA_lr.jpg

“coomsey” That pic you posted at the end of the previous page was from the 1978 Motor and Commercial Vehicle Show.

DEANB:
“coomsey” That pic you posted at the end of the previous page was from the 1978 Motor and Commercial Vehicle Show.

Nice line up,at the N E C as well. Thanks. I went to the first car show there n they parked us up on the M42 n we were ferried to the halls in bendi buses. Good job Riggers weren’t driving, we’d would have had to wait a couple minutes for the paintwork to catch us up ! :smiley:

coomsey:

DEANB:

Nice line up,at the N E C as well. Thanks. I went to the first car show there n they parked us up on the M42 n we were ferried to the halls in bendi buses. Good job Riggers weren’t driving, we’d would have had to wait a couple minutes for the paintwork to catch us up ! :smiley:

I was pondering last night , if I was to do that now there’d be more police cars than enough in hot pursuit ( Buford T Justice ) road blocks , and helicopter . Prosecuted for all the could haves and might haves , I’d be doing more time than Ronnie Biggs .

rigsby:

coomsey:

DEANB:

I was pondering last night , if I was to do that now there’d be more police cars than enough in hot pursuit ( Buford T Justice ) road blocks , and helicopter . Prosecuted for all the could haves and might haves , I’d be doing more time than Ronnie Biggs .

Well Riggers you seem to have forgotten you can play your ‘human rights’ card nowadays !

coomsey:

rigsby:

coomsey:

DEANB:

Well Riggers you seem to have forgotten you can play your ‘human rights’ card nowadays !

Human rights ? I thought they only applied to suntanned persons of uncertain origin .

Globetrotter Foden, South Africa.

NMP.

rp17700-Coltman-Bros-of-Claybrooke-Foden-Diesel.jpg
Ay up !! Nmps

coomsey:
Ay up !! Nmps

Great stuff there"coomsey" Thanks for posting these Fodens, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

coomsey:
Ay up !! Nmps

Great stuff there"coomsey" Thanks for posting these Fodens, Regards Larry.

No problems Larry, we have to keep looking

A fine old gentleman.nmp

FB_IMG_1582367805774.jpg

coomsey:
A fine old gentleman.nmp

Careful , you could be referring to me . That was the second foden I drove , the first was a six wheeler of that type .we were paid 18 hours for an Avonmouth load , but the rate of pay was crap and it took 6 hours each way Pre motorway . 33mph , 42 with the pump wired with sturdy stick wedged on the pedal , incidentally the accelerator was in the middle on them . I’ll ave a lie down now , I feel old .

rigsby:

coomsey:
A fine old gentleman.nmp

Careful , you could be referring to me . That was the second foden I drove , the first was a six wheeler of that type .we were paid 18 hours for an Avonmouth load , but the rate of pay was crap and it took 6 hours each way Pre motorway . 33mph , 42 with the pump wired with sturdy stick wedged on the pedal , incidentally the accelerator was in the middle on them . I’ll ave a lie down now , I feel old .

Those were the first Fodens I rode in as a kid in the fiftes, dad had one on Thermalite in Reading and there are pics of their yard somewhere on this thread. We never went far, the Corona factory in Nottingham was the furthest with me on board and I remember being taken around the bottling plant and seeing all the glass bottles having their caps fitted! He did run up to Fort William and beyond though, that was a weeks work. At that time Reading was their only depot. I rarely saw him as he had to go in on saturdays to grease the lorry and then again on sunday loading for Scotland again on monday. Probably why we never had much of a relationship I suppose? :confused: Oh and by the way Dave, you are probably feeling old because you are old! :wink:

Pete.

Foden Haulmaster & Fleetmaster 1979.

Click on pages twice.

FB_IMG_1582829736634.jpg
New one for me ,do we know what’s what?