Fodens.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Great photo. Its a S18 model. Engine, 6 LW Gardner or Fodens own Stroker. It has a Southampton Reg 1949/50. Payload at 24Ton Gross 16 Ton, Regards Larry.

Thanks! Certainly overweight, then.

Foden advert from 1966.

Click on page once or twice.

MR , BEWICK, I FORGOT WE ALSO HAD A SEDDON L REG 240 GARDENER BROWN 6 SPEED BOX GROUP AXLE , IIRC AN EX M ,WOODHOUSE ,CHEERS BARRY

B.Wadsworth:
MR , BEWICK, I FORGOT WE ALSO HAD A SEDDON L REG 240 GARDENER BROWN 6 SPEED BOX GROUP AXLE , IIRC AN EX M ,WOODHOUSE ,CHEERS BARRY

Yes Baz I remember that Seddon with the 200BHP 8LXB that my old Pal Malc ran for a while. I don’t know what you think but Malc and me could never understand the point of a derated 8LXB ! Cheers Mr B.
On second thoughts Malc and me thought that the reason for the “derate” was because Seddons used the 6:600 Brown box which wasn’t up to the job at 240LXB !

I used this unit for about four years to take trailers to test at Edmonton test station until about 2003, I believe it was ex Greenwoods & inherited by Cert Distribution at Hoddesdon and lay in their yard for quite some time before I purchased it.

Which engine was fitted in that Dave?

Pete.

windrush:

Pete.

Hi Pete,

It was a ■■■■■■■ with a fuller box, if I recall correctly it was a 290, it sat for at least three years without being turned over and they told me it didn’t run, I connected a set of jump leads and within a couple of turns she was running, when I revved her there was gallons of water pushed out of the stack exhaust system, just making a mess of the trees next to it.

Dave.

dave docwra:

windrush:

Pete.

Hi Pete,

It was a ■■■■■■■ with a fuller box, if I recall correctly it was a 290, it sat for at least three years without being turned over and they told me it didn’t run, I connected a set of jump leads and within a couple of turns she was running, when I revved her there was gallons of water pushed out of the stack exhaust system, just making a mess of the trees next to it.

Dave.

Haha, I can relate to that Dave! :wink: After I finished driving I did some maintenance for a haulier, sadly no longer with us and he was younger than me, who ran a Foden 3000 series eight wheeler with a ■■■■■■■ L10. He had a new stack silencer fitted (not by me) and then parked the truck up for a couple of months during winter when work was slack. When he came back to it it wouldn’t start, it spun over rapidly but seemed to have no compression. Eventually there was such a ‘BANG’ and this fountain of water shot into the air and soaked me! :unamused: When he finally stopped laughing we noticed that the new exhaust elbow hadn’t had a drain hole drilled into it, we sorted that and had no more problems.

Pete.

Fodens in Australia.

Click on page twice.

aussi foden con pfoden.PNG

Interesting! It looks the radiator is much bigger than on UK models, maybe because of the hot Australian climate?

coomsey:
240 in a J reg? nmp

Here’s another from the same batch:

Interesting comments on the road tests. Fodens with that cab, and the S50 half cab/S40 full cab, did ride well, not many British trucks had cab suspension then and the steering was always light which was helped by a large diameter steering wheel. ‘Off topic’ for this thread I realise but the brakes on the early Terriers were powered by Nitrogen cylinders, one either side of the cab behind the bumper, and a hydraulic pump powered from the engine where normally a power steering pump would be fitted. Hence power steering was not an option then. However the brakes took some setting up, plus the Nitrogen cylinders needed recharging periodically and could brake on one side and not the other which was fun! They were very ‘sharp’ when unladen and you could get the rear wheels off the ground when braking hard unladen, they were changed to a more conventional system on the mark two models. The gearchange was heavy on the Turner four speed box though, the five speed boxes were slightly better.

Pete.

windrush:
Interesting comments on the road tests. Fodens with that cab, and the S50 half cab/S40 full cab, did ride well, not many British trucks had cab suspension then and the steering was always light which was helped by a large diameter steering wheel.

Pete.

As a matter of interest, Pete, what was the thinking behind those upwardly forward sloping screens? Less rain retention? Less reflective glare? I can see both of those reasons could be valid, but what did it do for the economics of aerodynamics?

Spardo:

windrush:
Interesting comments on the road tests. Fodens with that cab, and the S50 half cab/S40 full cab, did ride well, not many British trucks had cab suspension then and the steering was always light which was helped by a large diameter steering wheel.

Pete.

As a matter of interest, Pete, what was the thinking behind those upwardly forward sloping screens? Less rain retention? Less reflective glare? I can see both of those reasons could be valid, but what did it do for the economics of aerodynamics?

First hand knowledge here Spardo ! I had a S50 for a month in 1976 , it never rained once n me aerodynamics were fine ,cheers Coomsey :smiley:

During WWII the forward sloping screens were also fitted to the CMP Trucks (Canadian Military Pattern), in this case it was to prevent sun reflection on the screens being seen by enemy aircraft, however Foden’s reason was the rake of the screen helped to keep them cleaner in adverse weather and to prevent the enemy from eyeballing you on the MI of course! :slight_smile: Franky.

Thanks both, just wondered as it seems to against all the traditional assumptions. I can imagine that it also reduces glare inside the cab from direct sunlight.

Mind you Coomsey, it does seem a bit of a stretch to claim it stops it raining too. :unamused: :open_mouth: :laughing:

I had the same cab on a 2 axle unit at K & M of Hucknall but it had the normal rounded windscreens. with a 205 ■■■■■■■ and a Foden 12-speed box it suited me very well. I have said this before but I once re-started after losing traction in the snow half way up Swinscoe with an empty powder tanker. I simply experimented gently with several gears before I found one to do the job. Great motor. :smiley:

The downside, well two actually, of those screens on the half cab was that the wiper arm spring would get weak and drop the blade away away from the screen (not a problem for Coomsey as it didn’t rain on his! :wink: ) and also the screens dropped out when the cabs started to crack on the corners, which they nearly all did! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:
The downside, well two actually, of those screens on the half cab was that the wiper arm spring would get weak and drop the blade away away from the screen (not a problem for Coomsey as it didn’t rain on his! :wink: ) and also the screens dropped out when the cabs started to crack on the corners, which they nearly all did! :laughing:

Pete.

It didn’t rain in 76! Windscreen wipers could send me daft!! To the point I didn’t put them on. All these engine/ box doings were all well n good but the wipers could send you daft

coomsey:
It didn’t rain in 76! Windscreen wipers could send me daft!! To the point I didn’t put them on. All these engine/ box doings were all well n good but the wipers could send you daft
[/quote]

And it seems that they actually did? :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

coomsey:
[/quote]

And it seems that they actually did? :wink:

Pete.

:smiley: