Fodens.

Good picture and reply Windrush, I was hoping someone would shed some light as I’d become intrigued with that beasty. Those set forward cabs on the New Zealand Fodens surely must have been adapted over there, to pinch a little more load space I suspect! Cheers Franky.

Thanks for the info Pete n Franky. Sounds impressive n looks it to my eyes. You would imagine there must be drivers about who worked her, n it beggars belief that she wasn’t preserved

Foden - GP56LHS:

Lymm Truckstop - 04.09.17.
(Thankyou to the driver for leaving the fuel pump and slowing down on seeing me with camera).

An ICI Alkali Foden FG 5, nothing flash but nicely formed. Franky.

Bit of colour would help. Had Fodens design team got a bit of a blind spot with wipers? Or was it the fashion for them to stop anywhere. I don’t recall doings with other makes I drove

Well this 1950s S 18 Foden close coupled artic IIRC Would have been a Blueish shade. The wipers in those days were refered to to as the Barrell type They used to get stuck on the water channel above the windscreen on whatever motor they were fitted to, If you were lucky enough to have them on both windscreens that was a real bonus :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Of course they had seperate switches so it was a bit awkward to get them to stop in the right place, Of course those old motors were a real pleasure to drive, :wink: :wink: :wink: If you could drive one of those You could drive anything IMO, Even A Steam Roller, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.AKA Old Larry.

As I remember it, the wipers on my old Mk1 Atki were worked by vacuum pressure. A bit like pre-war American cars I owned, the faster you went the slower the wipers moved. :open_mouth:

However, they also had a little lever on the inside of the motor so that you could operate it manually. :unamused:
I suppose this also allowed me to park it neatly. :slight_smile:

One I took at Welland a few weeks ago, John Pearson’s fitted with a stroker,

The first pic when owned by Kevin Fullard, he bought this motor brand new, 2nd pic (NMP) was took at Jacks Hill gathering, when I do not know, I think it is the same motor,I know the shiny bumper has gone but what do you lads think as I have always wondered what became of it,
I know Ainscough? crane hire ran some but I think they had longer wheel base and the Rockwell hub reduction axles fitted, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:
The first pic when owned by Kevin Fullard, he bought this motor brand new, 2nd pic (NMP) was took at Jacks Hill gathering, when I do not know, I think it is the same motor,I know the shiny bumper has gone but what do you lads think as I have always wondered what became of it,
I know Ainscough? crane hire ran some but I think they had longer wheel base and the Rockwell hub reduction axles fitted, Cheer’s Pete

Great photos Pete, Fodens were top of the market in the earley days , With the old 12 speed Foden, G box With a gear for every hill,I doubt that any motor in those good old days , Would have gone along with the old Fodens when it come to very steep hills, These old Fodens would go anyware when they got good traction, Ive be there & done it up In the Borders Region Of Bonny Scotland, When tipping Lime for the spreaders men, Who IMO earned their keep, Regards Larry.

pete smith:

Great photos Pete, Fodens were top of the market in the earley days , With the old 12 speed Foden, G box With a gear for every hill,I doubt that any motor in those good old days , Would have gone along with the old Fodens when it come to very steep hills, These old Fodens would go anyware when they got good traction, Ive be there & done it up In the Borders Region Of Bonny Scotland, When tipping Lime for the spreaders men, Who IMO earned their keep, Regards Larry.

[attachment
Got myself another!

Does this mean I’ve got to pimp my mirror backs too :laughing:

Old advert.

Moose:
0[attachment1Got myself another!

Mmm, that’s by far the best looking Foden around our area Mark! :laughing: Some folk will have to up their game… :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

Moose:
0[attachment1Got myself another!

Mmm, that’s by far the best looking Foden around our area Mark! :laughing: Some folk will have to up their game… :wink:

Pete.

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :imp:

Some from Israel.

This is from the Kenworth Foden Agencies catalog. Very heavy duty to cope with the Israeli practice of the time of ignoring the (already generous) max weight regs : ■■■■■■■ 410, Spicer double clutch with ceramic linings, Fuller RR 14715 box, 14.4T Rockwell front axle, 52,000 lbs Rockwell or 80,000 lbs (yes) Sisu rear, tropical cooler pack. Pic: Moshe Arzuan.

The one pic at work, not unlike a Kiwi semi (again, due to the max weight regs). Pic: Benny Schory.

End of life somewhere south. Pic by Lee Or Raz.

Punchy Dan:

Don’t know about pimping, think I’m going to need some stainless mirror guards fitting in light of where I’m based!!

Moose:

Punchy Dan:

Don’t know about pimping, think I’m going to need some stainless mirror guards fitting in light of where I’m based!!

Just fit some mirrors like mine no need for guards then .

A bit of judicious driving and yet another hedgehog’s life is saved! robert

kg8.jpg