Fodens.

rigsby:
Once you got the hang of the 12 speed though they were sweet as a nut , you always had a gear to suit the road , bearing in mind that 180 bhp pulling 30 tons wasn’t much. Dave

Got it in one Dave, running up Swinscoe in the snow one day, empty on my way to the quarry for sand with an artic powder tanker, I spun to a halt and thought that that was that.

However, had a little play through the gears and found one that did the trick. Re-started, uphill, empty artic, in the snow. What a gearbox.

Mind you. once loaded, she couldn’t make it up the slope out of the quarry. Had to spend the night in the pub in front of a blazing log fire then to sleep in the underfloor heated changing rooms. Bummer. Not. :smiley:

IMG_20170830_131557.jpgTaken in 1953

IMG_20170830_133737.jpg
Didn’t know they did lhd, wonder if she survived?

IMG_20170830_134229.jpg
Where they sent them 70/79

IMG_20170831_164549.jpgby

At Morrinsville New Zealand.
Oily

Foden 2006 at Morrinsville NZ cr GPS 56 cc by 2.0 24710711089_cfc297f04e_gpsk.jpg

Couple more.
Oily

Foden_Dump_truck_in_the_Quarry_at_Scorton_NY_09_-_IMG_2796.jpg ..Tractor and Construction Plant cc by sa 3.0.jpg

Foden BedfordAl cc by 2.0 36300862192_4e74d01562_ba o.jpg

I know it’s not, but that Fuller’s makes a great looking sleeper cab. :smiley:

Spardo:
I know it’s not, but that Fuller’s makes a great looking sleeper cab. :smiley:

Sleeper cab Spardo, you could hold a dance in it

ee9e97f073fced0214a4f675131d2fd6.jpg

A couple from New Zealand.

DEANB:
A couple from New Zealand.

Not too easy on the eye Dean

12a00ac7ce7f717933da48f068265af5.jpg
Big Foden firm then Maggies, still going

coomsey:

Does anybody know the vital statistics on this un?

IMG_20170904_135908.jpgThis firm liked them

Coomsey wrote; Does anybody know the vital statistics on this un?

I had a quick look through my Foden book and although there are pictures of various Foden Dumptrucks it doesn’t show an artic version. It does use the steel half cab so I would think the pic is somewhere around the early 70’s, similar six wheel dumpers for export shown have ■■■■■■■ engines of 310 bhp transmitting through an Allison auto box and Kirkstall rear axles. Pity the photo didn’t have a model designation to go off, Foden at this time though were involved with contracts for Dubai with many orders for their dumptrucks from 1968 and into the 70’s some with ■■■■■■■■ Rolls, Leyland and Gardner engines. By the middle of the 70’s many Middle Eastern and African countries were using Foden dumptrucks of various chassis specs, its a pity the one in the photo isn’t included in the book maybe it was a one off. Hopefully someone might have more info on this vehicle. Franky.

Dumper was a ‘one off’ for (I believe?) Shotton steelworks. I’m sure that I heard it was demonstrated around various quarries as well but can’t confirm the fact. It was all wheel drive including the trailer, all Foden worm and wheel diffs.

A rear end pic, from Flikr and not mine, and it was Shotton in 1972.

Pete.

That is one hell of a beast Pete, How on earth did the jewels in the British crown like Foden go down?

…could it have been anything to do with the anti-manufacturing government of the time, flogging off anything worthwhile to asset-stripping foreigners and closing down the rest?

Whatever it was I certainly don’t believe that the managements of Foden, ERF, Leyland, Guy(Jaguar, BMC Land Rover and whatever foreigner owns it now) and Sed/Ack were so incompetant compared to the majors in other countries (Volvo, Scania, Daf, Man, Merc, Renault, Fiat) that they all, without exception (save for Dennis) either went to the wall or were sold abroad.

I suppose the rot started when Harold Wilson got involved in things he didn’t understand and forced Leyland to take over BMC. It was always said that EU rules prevented national favouritism. Something that doesn’t seem to have worried all the above.

However, the writing was on the wall as I was driving my Mack in OZ and seeing all the Fodens and Leylands still being driven in firms that used them exclusively. Not for much longer.