Foden truck problem

hi guys thanks for having me on this forum its a class site some great stuff on here…well im having a problem with a foden 6x2 oil tanker its the 3000 series with the cat engine its old enough s reg i think 99 or 00 … i am having an electric problem with it ,when io put down the throttle pedal it goes up to about 1500 revs and then it cuts back it wont stop but just keep doing this all through every gear …it seems to me to be a limiter problem ,like its cutting in ,when the lorry is loaded it wont take the boot properly ,you think its go n great and then the revs cut way back ,this keeps happening you would think there was a little man pinching the fuel line every 15 secs and then letting it go LOL:) it is driving me mad and its not fuel related i took tank of cleaned out and put a new fuel line in and all fuel filters …the lorry idles great and revs great out to 2500 revs when not moving …my friend said he has the software but no cable to read the brain on the lorry ,is there any were i could buy this cable for him or do any of you guys know what my problem would be ,i am getting a lot of bad reports about these lorrys but when mine is go n good it pulls like a horse …it seems like a wire is making a bad connection or somthing …this all happened when the guy driving for me let the lorry slide in to a ditch and i had to get a crane to lift it out ,he was letting a truck past on a little road here in n,ireland were i live and caught the grass ,i checked all the wires and cant see any breaks …can any one please help me you guys sounds like experts on here i love your site …thanks so much brian farrell n.ireland my email is thebrianfarrell@hotmail.co.uk if any one has the cable for sale please email thanks again…:slight_smile:

Did have similar problem with a daf many years ago, so long ago not even sure if it was a daf!
That would start to build revs then just cut back to tickover, it was the limiter at fault.

thanks so much for reply i will check out the limiter but i think it is built in to tthe brain of this truck if so will i have to change the brain do you think ,im only guessing here im not a lorry mechanic ,it seems hard to get anyone to look at this lorry over here every body keeps telling me they are not common any more and parts are hard to get if there was a way to take the limiter out of it nto see if it was the problem and then i could replace it but if it is built in to the electrics i just dont know …thanks again for your reply bro …brian farrell :confused:

Sorry mate, was just relating symptoms.cant help with fixing.

Contact John Beers Commercials near Comber,
he will help you with her if he can.
Tel 02897 521542
Mob 07802664322

If its got an air feed pipe to the limiter actuator on the pump, try clamping it, it that cures it, it is the limiter. Lot of ifs, but worth a go.

Surely at that age it’s a mechanical limiter?

Although symptoms appear electrical it might be worth giving every moving part from the loud pedal onwards a massive drench of WD40 and a wiggle.

Own Account Driver:

Although symptoms appear electrical it might be worth giving every moving part from the loud pedal onwards a massive drench of WD40 and a wiggle.

it’s not a mechanical limiter it’s an electronic engine!
try the taco sender unit on top of the gearbox, in the past i am sure we have had this problem and all it came down to was a corroded/wet/dirty connection where the plug fits the sender!
also are you sure it’s not the throttle peadal messing about (a common fault on volvos)
moose

Moose:

Own Account Driver:

it’s not a mechanical limiter it’s an electronic engine!
try the taco sender unit on top of the gearbox, in the past i am sure we have had this problem and all it came down to was a corroded/wet/dirty connection where the plug fits the sender!
also are you sure it’s not the throttle peadal messing about (a common fault on volvos)
moose

Ok - never been near a Foden either behind the wheel or in the workshop so was just giving common problem with sticking parts on mechanical limiters solution.

That model of Foden had an all too common problem of “Dodgey wiring” after they were a few years old. :frowning:
The wiring loom “all over the manor” started to corrode and snap at connection points as I knew too well with a 2001 6x2 3000series I used to own :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush:

I remember old erf,s used to have a similar fault and that was down to the engine ecu losing a speed signal from the tacho. Definetely check tacho sender & all tacho wiring loom for any damage etc.

Right, first things first, is it a C12 engine? Sounds like it could well be a crankshaft speed sensor 1 or 2 fault but without knowing what engine it is it would be purely guess work…

If poss post the engine PIN (product identification number) up so I can have a look on the system…

Things worth checking:

Engine ECU plugs (Disconnect battery, wiggle/pull the wires on both plugs, undo the allen bolt in the centre of the plugs and check/resecure)
Engine ECU earth wire (Braided ‘loop’ of bonding cable from corner of ECU to mounting bolt)
Engine speed sensor wiring (Could be 1 sensor, could be 2…locations dependant on engine type and PIN)
Manifold pressure sensor/wiring
Ambient air pressure /wiring

Hope some of this helps

thanks so much guys for all the replys you guys are the best im gona get her in over the pit to night and have a proper look …i went to start it the other day and it started idled for 5 mins and stopped now it wont start at all…i really appreciate all the help some great comments and solutions posted there …thanks brian n.ireland :slight_smile:

Had the same problem with the foden i drive , It went to the old skool foden dealer , plugged into computer and was saying tacho fault .it turned out to be broken /dodgy wiring in the loom near the front n/s wheelarch .
Had a few wiring faults on it and on the older Dafs .

cheers Mike

i sent her in to tbf thompsons in portadown and they said it was over charging and the alternator was sending to much power back to the ecu and it was making the revs cut in and out while driving as i remember there was a v light ■■■■■■■ on on the dash ,they said it was the alternator that was causing this so getting a new one hopes this solves the prob as its running into a lot of money now had to be transported there from crossmaglen and now back i hope its fixed when i get it back wedensday ,thanks again for all the help guys…cheers…brian farrell:)

You could easily check if it is the alternator my taking it off and then going for a drive. If it drives fine you know that is your problem :slight_smile: