Foden S20 Crewcab

some history

Foden S 20

Manufactured in 1958 for Lockheed Hydraulic Brake Co at Leamington Spa.
Used as a brake development-testing vehicle, the crew cab accommodated the technicians and their test equipment.
I am told it was like a ballast tractor with concrete blocks fitted to it. Also it was not registered or used on the road until they sold it.

Then it was registered and converted in to a breakdown recovery vehicle.
Hence it has a 1963 registration but says in log book first registered in 1988

As far as I know Bates of Evesham ran it as a recovery wagon. I am assuming they converted it for recovery.

Granted the cab is in a state and will have to be totally rebuilt.
The rest of wagon is in good order. It show’s no signs of having ever done much work.

:smiley: Hi tractorman, best of luck with your project it looks as though its gonna take a while. There are a few things that you will plenty of to see you through, plenty of time, plenty of money, plenty of space and plenty of enthusiasm
But as a fellow Foden fan keep us posted and if you need any help or advice I,m sure you,ll find it in here !
Good luck, regards tony H.

Hi All

This old girl did indeed belong to Bates in Evesham.

When i first went to Hoovers in the early 70s my first unit was TGN 81F. Dewi the foreman reckoned my Mandator and that Foden were in love, the number of times it towed me in, when we used to run the Vale of Evesham to the Lutterworth Depot from the Merthyr yard

In 1959 Edward Beck had a built to order S20 Foden heavy haulage 6x4 ballast tractor Reg No ODB 793 model No FRHT 6/80 which was nicknamed ‘The Big Bopper’.

Foden3-1.jpg Powered by a Rolls Royce 220 BHP engine in line with a 12-speed gearbox it to had a crew cab very similar to yours.
You can find more info and images which may help with your restoration HERE

Hi everyone, I am delighted to see the photos of our old Foden and yes we did run it as a recovery vehicle, I’m not sure if we put the body on it but I will ask Dad when I see him later. I’m looking forward to seeing your progress tractorman & abtfinman, I didn’t realise she had a relationship with your Mandator! :wink:

Hi Abtfinman did you know any of OSWALDS drivers from Ayr they did quite a bit into Merthyr. Eddie.

I seem to remember that International Combustion of Derby used to run some Foden crew cabs.