FODEN or ERF ?

so did Edwin Richard get it right or do you prefer Foden? :laughing:

Dunno about Edwin Robert but I voted Edwin Richard got it right. :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

At least give the great man the decency of getting his name right if you want a sensible debate on the subject!

They both got it wrong by spending 50 years at one anothers throats instead of concentrating on the real enemies from Scandinavia is the easy answer, but dont get me started on the decline of the once mighty British truck building industry.

DAF started off by building engines under licence from Leyland who at the time were the biggest truck maker in the world etc et bloody cetra

Coffeeholic:
Dunno about Edwin Robert but I voted Edwin Richard got it right. :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

oop`s sorry simple mistake :wink: :laughing:

Limey:
At least give the great man the decency of getting his name right if you want a sensible debate on the subject!

chill out mate :open_mouth:

P.S.so what did you vote then Limey? :laughing:

ERF was founded by Fodens son, Edwin Richard, because the Old Man couldnt see that the writing was on the wall for steam lorries. ER went off to produce diesels. There`s some interesting history here

fleetdata.co.uk/erf.html

Although I like the look of ERF`s (especially the C series), I would not like to have one as my everyday motor, so I voted for “none”

Vince

english_jock:
P.S.so what did you vote then Limey? :laughing:

I voted for Foden as it happens.

My current firm doubleshifts, extremely highmileages, at 44t ,working six days a week. We’ve had the lot on demo, Actros, Strallis, FH, MAN, Renault, Scania… only a ■■■■■■■ powered Foden will stand a decent warranty against the distances we cover.

Vince, the “Old Man” had long since passed away by 1933. “E.R.” himself was 63 and had in fact retired by that date. It was his son Dennis who was the driving force behind ERF and persuaded his father to go ahead with the new venture.

At that time there were no Foden family members on the board of the original company and only a SOS message for the return from Australia of the other son William saved the company from probable extinction.

Thanks for the info, Limey. Incidentally, there was a steam powered Foden at the Detling steam rally this summer, and me and the boys were fascinated by it. What a wonderful machine!

Vince

My fleet has had both over the years, and I’ve rated them equally. Strangely enough my Fodens (which are known for CAT engines) have had ■■■■■■■ motors 4350’s, and my ERF (known for ■■■■■■■■ has a CAT C12 in it. As there isn’t a choice of both, I’ve not voted at all, as I’d be quite happy to have either, as long as they were Fodens of ERF’s not DAF’s or MAN’s!

My mate used to drive a 3000 series Foden and he hated it. Well, it was good to drive but the cab was crap.

He used to say: “I bet the bloke who designed this cab never had to sleep in it!” (That was his way of saying it was drafty and uncomfortable)

He moved on to an ERF EC12 and he thought he had died and gone to heaven. That was until his brand new high roof DAF CF430 arrived!

I have to say Foden as I have just bought my first truck and its a Foden Alpha XL,although I did look at EC,ECS and ECX ERF’s as they are very good value for money.My truck was purchased direct from Foden contracts at the old Foden factory in Sandbach Cheshire.It was such a shame to see that massive factory sitting idle and the history of british truck building sitting idle with it.One small note of optimisim is that all the assembly lines have been left intact by parent company PACCAR,so maybe it could be started up again who knows what the future holds :question:

None

V8KARLV8:
None

SNAP

I used to go into both factories at Sandbach,taking ■■■■■■■ parts in,and have seen both marques being built.Fantastic.

I remember going into the engine receipts at ERF for the first time,and I asked the guy what percentages of engines were put in their motors,and he said, ‘95% ■■■■■■■■■■ Perkins and 1% Gardner.’

But I remember ERF did experiment with a Detroit on the EC series,(The EC127) but it never seemed to take off.Did anybody have/drive one?

Ken.

Ive drove the Alpha, and the ECX. As a driver, Id rate the alpha better, but, I didnt have the ECX olympic/twin bunk cab. As an owner, it’d be a tough call, but the ERF I think is a tad more rugged.

I remember them Detroits Ken, 6 cyl 4 strokes, apparently good motors.

ohterry555:

V8KARLV8:
None

SNAP

"