foden cummins

ive got a foden thats breathing very heavy is going to need an engine rebuild (its not blocked breathers had it checked )what I am wondering has anyone had an engine rebuild done on a ■■■■■■■ and was it worth doing or if you could go back would you of just got shut of it instead .its been a good motor so far but not sure what to do .I would only be getting something like a cf of a similar age even if it was to go.on the positive side I no what its had done if I do get it rebuilt and should hopefully get a few more years out of it.

lee mat:
ive got a foden thats breathing very heavy is going to need an engine rebuild (its not blocked breathers had it checked )what I am wondering has anyone had an engine rebuild done on a ■■■■■■■ and was it worth doing or if you could go back would you of just got shut of it instead .its been a good motor so far but not sure what to do .I would only be getting something like a cf of a similar age even if it was to go.on the positive side I no what its had done if I do get it rebuilt and should hopefully get a few more years out of it.

You dont say what ■■■■■■■ it is? 14lt or I would think L10 and what age?
Cheers Welly.

lee mat:

if it’s the m11 420 then it be the cheapest engine too rebuild

its the ism engine ive got a price for getting it sorted just not to sure whether to put money into a rebuild or get shut

We’ve got one with holes drilled in the rocker cover to let a bit of pressure go ,gets a bit oily but doesn’t reach the floor !

never heard of that been done mine keeps blowing the filler cap off ive moved the breather pipe back to keep it off front axle ive got to clean the engine off again this weekend and double make sure where ive got an oil leak coming from I hope its the jake brake gasket which ive been told is not a big job not to bothered about it breathing but oil leak is getting worse which is either breathing way to much which is the engine rebuild or just a knackered gasket

The only way to tell it needs a rebuild (other than a knock) is by oil consumption.

If it uses a gallon every 2000miles its time, if it isn’t, then it doesn’t need rebuilding.

I have a similar issue, but the engine is an ERF. A mechanic here (Africa) told me the breather pipe blows oil because O-rings are worn out. He also mentioned that rev counts matter which forces the oil through available openings. I noticed though that there are leaks on the side of the engine suggesting the gasket/some seal might be busted. Oiul consumption is much lower that the suggested gallon. Its probably 2 pints for every 200km

That’s worse! 500 miles to the gallon.

In the final months of my Dads 250 ■■■■■■■ marathan it was down to 3 mpg and a gallon of oil a day .

so far on mine we’ve moved the breather back to see how much its actually breathing found the oil filter is/was weeping now trying to found out if the sump gasket is leaking or if oil leaking from the gasket above the head is running down onto it. Been told that this gasket is a common fault ,is it a fair comment that if its breathing heavy and you just replace the gaskets that it will just find the next weakest spot ?

The M11 sumps are very poor .

yep and expensive if you want one from ■■■■■■■ had to replace it sometime back as it had the nappy on the original one no idea how it was holding oil it just starting weeping took it off and you could put your finger through it

just wondering what amp batteries a foden should have or what amp battery the ■■■■■■■ should have