FODEN 380 CAT

Hie guys,i have a Foden with CAT C10 380,the engine starts first time with half crank,the truck revvs but no power when driving. Any ideas please help. it flashes engine check lights sometimes when revving and there is a black smoke

Dannyzambezi:
Hie guys,i have a Foden with CAT C10 380,the engine starts first time with half crank,the truck revvs but no power when driving. Any ideas please help. it flashes engine check lights sometimes when revving and there is a black smoke

Punchy Dan’s your man

If the op is in the U.K. then Roy Cherry at RP Cherry Abingdon Oxford is the man .I don’t do cats :open_mouth:

Black smoke…generally… fueling problems?
Assuming air supply OK then its likely to be injector problems isnt it?

Whatever it is, get the reason for the engine-light looked at (that is why it is there!) rather than guess and chuck new bits at the engine.

Have you gone through the basics? Air intake and filter?

Listen to Adept Ape:

youtube.com/watch?v=fdVr_A_T0lo

Thanks all,let me check the intake system tomorrow and update

If it’s the intake system you’ll already be able to tell by the amount of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Punchy Dan:
I don’t do cats :open_mouth:

Bet you have had a few dogs in your time :laughing:

This fella knows his way round CAT engines
plant-repairs.co.uk/

It revs without load and smokes under load.
Compression and cylinder leak down test to check the seal between bores and rings v cylinder bores and valves v valve seats and cylinders v head would be a good place to start.Then if all good turbo and/or intercooler.IE sounds like an air charge issue.

Carryfast:
It revs without load and smokes under load.
Compression and cylinder leak down test to check the seal between bores and rings v cylinder bores and valves v valve seats and cylinders v head would be a good place to start.Then if all good turbo and/or intercooler.IE sounds like an air charge issue.

Or start by checking the air filter.

Leaking intercooler or burst or displaced pipe in the pressure side of the intake air system is also a possibility.
The 3306 Cat had inlet manifold pressure fed back to the governor, and if it leaked you got no power. The C10 will be electronically controlled though, but it’s probably something quite. simple.

Hie guys,truck now sorted. The turbo was totally broken on the compressor side replaced it now running fine