Foden 3000 hard to start

Hi all.im looking for some advice on a Foden 3000 8x4 hook loader with a Caterpillar engine fitted.i would say the year is approx late 90s it’s the daf 85 front end before the cf.i got called out to it the other day as a non starter.when I got there the driver said a few days before the engine warning came on and it cut out but then restarted and was ok after that then on the day I was called out he started it to build air pressure etc while sorting his paperwork out.when he came back it had cut out and wouldn’t restart but eventually it fired up but would only idle very roughly for about 30 secs and then cut out.I changed fuel filters and seem to be getting plenty of fuel up to engine.but it just starts runs very rough Tickover and cuts out and sometimes won’t even run at all.hope someone can help as I’ve not done anything on fodens or cat engines.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Talking to a Cat user number 1…it could be an injector,fuel pump,ecu and even a hole in the fuel pick up pipe in the tank which might not be apparent
when the rig is full.And do remember Cat don’t have a great deal of interest in the UK market any more.And most Daf dealers will not have the software
to sort out any Cat probs.Not much use I know,he recommends the basics first the rest could prove expensive.

Drain off the fuel tank or tanks, pressure wash the insides, remove water, it maybe dirt or sediment in the tanks.
Attach tank,fuel up, bleed it off to release trapped air.

I had similar problems with a CAT 3406B in a 4000 series. Turned out to be a crack in the fuel pick up pipe letting it ■■■■ air.

Sounds like the best starting point. I had similar with a tk bedford. Only difference was that it just stopped with over half a tank of diesel because the top of the pickup pipe had fallen off.

Going back to basics try gravity feeding it from a gallon can.