FM Globetrotter LXL over a 13 litre?

Good day all.

Having done plenty trawling through websites and literature, it appears that is not possible to get the current model Volvo FM (the euro 5 model, not the new look euro 6 one), with both a Globetrotter LXL cab and a 13 litre engine, apparently said cab is only sold in combination with the 11 litre engine underneath.

I see no reason for that being the case other than stopping the FM from poaching sales off the FH, however having read through some old posts here by a member in Belgium, it appears that one can indeed get the bigger engine under the LXL cab. It’s not that it won’t fit or anything as you well know, the LXL is nothing more than a Globetrotter with a higher roof, but it means one could just about stand upright and still have a low entry cab, which for our work would be ideal.

If any of you can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :wink:

J-lad:
Good day all.

Having done plenty trawling through websites and literature, it appears that is not possible to get the current model Volvo FM (the euro 5 model, not the new look euro 6 one), with both a Globetrotter LXL cab and a 13 litre engine, apparently said cab is only sold in combination with the 11 litre engine underneath.

I see no reason for that being the case other than stopping the FM from poaching sales off the FH, however having read through some old posts here by a member in Belgium, it appears that one can indeed get the bigger engine under the LXL cab. It’s not that it won’t fit or anything as you well know, the LXL is nothing more than a Globetrotter with a higher roof, but it means one could just about stand upright and still have a low entry cab, which for our work would be ideal.

If any of you can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :wink:

Speak to Volvo directly, you can get what you want normally…it was a ■■■■ sight easier when the were made in Scotland though, and you could go see it being built.
We did and got exactly what we wanted in those days, probably can now just have to wait longer for it.

Thank you 3 wheeler, i will try that so. We have run both FM’s and FH’s down the years, all standard roof sleeper cabs, but recently we hired out an FM Globetrotter and it really is a much nicer space to spend time what with the extra headroom. Our work is predominantly over country roads calling to farms and the FM’s are a much better drive with the lower mounted cab, you just can’t beat physics. One of the farms I call to has a very bad driveway, endless potholes so its just first gear and tickover all the way in, even at that speed there is quite a difference between the FM and the FH, the latter sways a hell of a lot, though it is probably compounded by the fact that we specced that one with cab air suspension when new, i find they roll more on air and in hindsight it was a bad choice. Nice for comfort,but at expense of wooly handling.

J-lad:
Thank you 3 wheeler, i will try that so. We have run both FM’s and FH’s down the years, all standard roof sleeper cabs, but recently we hired out an FM Globetrotter and it really is a much nicer space to spend time what with the extra headroom. Our work is predominantly over country roads calling to farms and the FM’s are a much better drive with the lower mounted cab, you just can’t beat physics. One of the farms I call to has a very bad driveway, endless potholes so its just first gear and tickover all the way in, even at that speed there is quite a difference between the FM and the FH, the latter sways a hell of a lot, though it is probably compounded by the fact that we specced that one with cab air suspension when new, i find they roll more on air.

Until my heart problem started 14 months ago we were still running a couple of FH 12 's pulling tankers and I liked them , but mainly motorway work. Good as gold with air suspension cabs…never had a fault and they were doing monster mileage with multiple drivers.
And the old old old girl is still here on the farm , an 86 F12 6x2 with over 3million K’s made in Scotland as a special , which now I am knackered I am going to rebuild to full glory, she is pulling logs out of the woods near home for the next 6weeks as all the boys with new toys wont venture off road down there, she is doing fuel at a rate but still pulling 70 tons up the track to the road on two trailers with a dolly under the back one.

Hope you get what you want and make good money from them !

That’s just it with older trucks isn’t it, it’s not so bad an issue if you scrape them. Believe me I have considered locating good 143’s and F12’s, though an F16 would be a hard find over here, and the heavier fuel consumption would offset the r&m of newer electronic laden motors, but we’re kinda pigeon-holed from a legal standpoint with the need for more modern trucks as we’re now allowed to gross 46 tonne over here across the Irish Sea, subject to having EBS brakes and a 6x2. That pretty much rules out anything pre '01, which from our experience was when certain components started to be made from chocolate.

I was keen to try out a Scania but am put off by the poor traction from their 2 bag rear air suspension. It’s a simple rugged system undeniably, and devoid of v-stays, drop links and torque arms that have cost us a hell of a lot on the Volvo’s down the years, but at least if you blow an airbag on a Volvo it’s only a matter of tying off the feed pipe and you can continue on the other 3 bags. I think a tag axle would be a necessity on a Scania for our work, whereas our mid-lift FM is coping fine so far.

We’ve got quite a few FM’s on a 60reg which are the 13 litre 460. Globetrotter cab.

philmots:
We’ve got quite a few FM’s on a 60reg which are the 13 litre 460. Globetrotter cab.

Yep, but that’s not a GLXL.