Flying J and mobile phone advice

Hey guys, I am due to come out to Canada in the next 3 weeks and was hoping for some advice from you guys already out there and the ones that have been there.

Could you answer a few questions please? I’m anticipating that for the first 6 weeks or so that I won’t be sorting a base that’ll be home for my family as I am going to settle first in the job, with that in mind I want to be able to stay in touch with my family as best as possible so we can support each other, what would you suggest I do in these early stages about mobile phones? I don’t want to use my UK one obviously as it’ll cost more than I’m earning probably haha, I will be doing Canada and into the States a lot and I understand this in itself can be a pain with mobiles etc cost wise, different networks etc. So what would you guys suggest please?

Also I do have my iPad, so I guess I’ll be able to Skype, FaceTime etc when on wifi, so do the Flying J still charge for wifi and if so is it reasonable?
And importantly will I be able to easily do my laundry on route, like in the truckstops?

Any extra advice you can give or important info you think I should have or what to bring in my limited packing of suitcases then please feel free to chip in.

Thanks everyone

For the US a net 10 prepaid phone cost $60 a month with 2gb internet and calls to the UK included. For Canada a koodo contract(also with some internet) with an int. calling add on will cost you about $50 a month and it will cost you a few cents a minute to call the UK. There are loads of places to do laundry here. Don’t use fj wifi just go to the fastfood / coffee joint next door for free wifi.

crunchygear:
For the US a net 10 prepaid phone cost $60 a month with 2gb internet and calls to the UK included. For Canada a koodo contract(also with some internet) with an int. calling add on will cost you about $50 a month and it will cost you a few cents a minute to call the UK. There are loads of places to do laundry here. Don’t use fj wifi just go to the fastfood / coffee joint next door for free wifi.

Thanks for that info, the States prepay sounds pretty good and I’ve already been on the website and looked at that thanks to you, but with the Canada one, are you saying I’ll need to go down the contract route rather than prepay?

Thanks for the info on laundry and wifi too

I would as prepaid in canada is only an option if you’re in 1 city location otherwise the long distance charges, even on incomming calls, will bankrupt you

crunchygear:
I would as prepaid in canada is only an option if you’re in 1 city location otherwise the long distance charges, even on incomming calls, will bankrupt you

Thanks for the advice. If you think of anything else essential for me to take into account I’d appreciate it

In Canada both Bell and Virgin do what they call a 30 day contract which means just that 30 days bit like pay as you go and they have unlimited Canada wide text and talk think it’s bout $65 a month but no long distance call charges

taffytrucker:
In Canada both Bell and Virgin do what they call a 30 day contract which means just that 30 days bit like pay as you go and they have unlimited Canada wide text and talk think it’s bout $65 a month but no long distance call charges

Thanks Taff, the more options I have to look into when I get there the better

No worries good luck. O with BELL they got an extra bolt on where the Mrs can ring the states for no charge. Mines got that and she has never gone over her minutes.

Sounds expensive having to have 2 SIM cards , one for Canada and USA

With that koodo deal the 2 year contract, does that include a cellphone. and what if your landed and on a TWP and don’t have any credit rating ,can you still get a contract phone it seems the only option unless you want to use prepaid and as crunchy gear said you will pay through the nose …

chef sauce:
Sounds expensive having to have 2 SIM cards , one for Canada and USA

Even more expensive if you use your Canadian phone all the time south of the border

chef sauce:
With that koodo deal the 2 year contract, does that include a cellphone. and what if your landed and on a TWP and don’t have any credit rating ,can you still get a contract phone it seems the only option unless you want to use prepaid and as crunchy gear said you will pay through the nose …

Should be able to get a 30 day contract when you get your SIN no problem as you pay this it goes towards credit rating so I been told. Even paying household bills goes towards credit rating

Koodoo wouldn’t let me have a PAYG after being here 3 years and having PR but no credit rating.
My missus got a Rogers monthly contract, $70/mth 4GB, unlimited texts, unlimited Canada calling.
She got no credit rating.

Got a Koodo phone sim today… unlimited Canada wide. unlimited text. 1gb data. Its $64 a month. .You can buy a bolt on to call the uk for $3 a month, which means you only pay 5 cents a minute. If you open a bank account with Scotiabank, you get a leaflet which enables you to get the bolt on free. So calling uk costs just 5 cents a min. Also by using your own phone you get 10% discount on you monthly bill base rate, which drops it down to $57.60. Its a 30 day contract. Works straight away.

When I used to make a lot of calls to the UK I used a phone card called ‘VOX Europa’. It worked out to a fraction of a cent per minute. Even when calling mobiles or call centres. You just call free phone number on the back of the card. That sometimes used some of my inclusive minutes, but it’s free for the most part. Especially if you use one of the phones that are available in most of the truckstops and restaurants. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: