FLT Medical?

So a New one on me, never had one with the Army or MoD?

“All forklift drivers require a certificate of medical fitness signed by a Doctor showing that you reach the required medical standard to drive lifters. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) indicates that forklift drivers should have a medical to group 2 driver standards using the DVLA D4 medical guidelines”.

Interesting as we have just passed an HSE/H&S Annual warehouse external inspection?

Doesn’t surprise me, you need a fit to work medical to operate mobile plant on a lot of the major building/construction firms sites nowadays. Its funny how you need all these tickets and qualifications to drive or operate stuff now like the CPC and NVQ’S for mobile plant it just makes money for training providers and now these workplace medicals along with drugs and alcohol screening seem to have crept in to.

A more cynical mind maybe thinking that healthcare companies have seen an opening to make a few bob out of the average worker.

But we all know its for our own safety and well being at work of course.

simonuk8:
So a New one on me, never had one with the Army or MoD?

“All forklift drivers require a certificate of medical fitness signed by a Doctor showing that you reach the required medical standard to drive lifters. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) indicates that forklift drivers should have a medical to group 2 driver standards using the DVLA D4 medical guidelines”.

Interesting as we have just passed an HSE/H&S Annual warehouse external inspection?

Hi Simon,
HSE do have guidelines for this, they essentially say that there is not a legal requirement for forklift drivers to undergo a medical, but that most work on an FLT is equivalent to a group 1 driver standard (ie car), but that group 2 driver standard (ie HGV/PCV) is more appropriate for FLT drivers working in more demanding environments such as at night or with explosive materials.
HSE then go on to say that if an employer chooses to screen FLT drivers they should follow group 2 DVLA licensing framework, so a D4 medical equivalent when first taking on the FLT driver, then at 45 and every 5 years thereafter until annually after 65. Although it’s based on DVLA medicals, as the medical is not related to driving it’s out of DVLA’s remit so we would produce a certificate of fitness for the driver saying that they meet the standard required, as opposed to anything being sent to DVLA.
The section of the guidelines which relate to FTL medicals are on page 52/53: hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l117.pdf
Drop me a message if you have any other queries about FLT medicals.
Kind regards,
Ryan
D4Drivers